Now DRM PC screen Monitors.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XP, Oct 5, 2005.

  1. XP

    XP Guest

    XP, Oct 5, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2005

  3. XP

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > XP wrote:
    >
    >> Most Monitors Won't Play New HD Video
    >> This is now getting so pathetic..
    >> http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122738,00.asp

    > old news Rig... this was discussed quite a while ago.

    Just as all the DRM on some audio doesnt affect the files from where I get them
    from, I doubt that this will worry any competent net user in the slightest
    Richard, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Richard wrote:
    >>> Most Monitors Won't Play New HD Video
    >>> This is now getting so pathetic..
    >>> http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122738,00.asp

    >> old news Rig... this was discussed quite a while ago.

    > Just as all the DRM on some audio doesnt affect the files from where I
    > get them from, I doubt that this will worry any competent net user in
    > the slightest

    On reading the article, it seems to be a bit more than what was bantied
    around last time...
    It looks like XP will be the last windows I use(for personal use)... see
    ya, been nice working with you.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz - my site.
    http://www.dave.net.nz/csb/id37.htm <- Blog.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2005
  5. XP

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > XP wrote:
    >
    >> Most Monitors Won't Play New HD Video
    >> This is now getting so pathetic..
    >> http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122738,00.asp

    > old news Rig... this was discussed quite a while ago.

    Yes, but how the hell else are all the magazines going to fill in the
    whole year+ of Vista hype that we're going to be subjected to until the
    release? There is so little to go on, they have to repeat stuff, just to
    fill up space.

    Realistically, there is probably going to be 18 months - 2 years of
    this, with another year of special dedicated articles about Vista after
    it is released, some of which might actually be useful - for those that
    buy it.

    And lots of those articles will just be trying to explain the difference
    between different versions of Vista :)

    We've seen this hype twice before, we could just about write the
    headlines ourselves already. Why can't MS be like Apple and Nike and
    Just Do It.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 5, 2005
  6. XP

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:08:46 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> XP wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most Monitors Won't Play New HD Video
    >>> This is now getting so pathetic..
    >>> http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122738,00.asp

    >> old news Rig... this was discussed quite a while ago.
    >>

    >Yes, but how the hell else are all the magazines going to fill in the
    >whole year+ of Vista hype that we're going to be subjected to until the
    >release? There is so little to go on, they have to repeat stuff, just to
    >fill up space.
    >
    >Realistically, there is probably going to be 18 months - 2 years of
    >this, with another year of special dedicated articles about Vista after
    >it is released, some of which might actually be useful - for those that
    >buy it.
    >
    >And lots of those articles will just be trying to explain the difference
    >between different versions of Vista :)
    >
    >We've seen this hype twice before, we could just about write the
    >headlines ourselves already. Why can't MS be like Apple and Nike and
    >Just Do It.

    Any way who in his right mind would play a HD DVD on a PC..?

    Lets stop feeding the Lion, lets starve it to death..
    XP, Oct 5, 2005
  7. XP wrote:

    > Any way who in his right mind would play a HD DVD on a PC..?

    those that don't have a DVD player but do have a tuner in their PC and
    an HDTV for their PC monitor(my bro in law).

    > Lets stop feeding the Lion, lets starve it to death..

    I assume you mean MS? so when you going to try Linux/Lunix?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2005
  8. XP

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Evil Bastard, Oct 6, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> old news Rig... this was discussed quite a while ago.

    >> Just as all the DRM on some audio doesnt affect the files from where I
    >> get them from, I doubt that this will worry any competent net user in
    >> the slightest

    > On reading the article, it seems to be a bit more than what was bantied
    > around last time...
    > It looks like XP will be the last windows I use(for personal use)... see
    > ya, been nice working with you.

    Studios don't want to release HD content unless they can protect it.
    It won't just be Windows that implements the copy protection mechanisms.
    Nathan Mercer, Oct 6, 2005
  10. XP

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:08:46 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Why can't MS be like Apple and Nike and
    > Just Do It.

    Like the others they do, and they are telling us about it, just like the
    other two.
    Gordon, Oct 6, 2005
  11. On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:40:22 +1300, someone purporting to be Nathan Mercer
    didst scrawl:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > Studios don't want to release HD content unless they can protect it.
    > It won't just be Windows that implements the copy protection mechanisms.

    MacOS likely will too. As for anything else, most of them can't afford the
    extortionate licencing rates. Novell and RedHat have deep pockets, to be
    sure, but thus far RH have been loathe to ship their products with
    anything that's patent-encumbered.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Oct 6, 2005
  12. XP

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:40:22 +1300, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >>> Just as all the DRM on some audio doesnt affect the files from where I
    >>> get them from, I doubt that this will worry any competent net user in
    >>> the slightest

    >> On reading the article, it seems to be a bit more than what was bantied
    >> around last time...
    >> It looks like XP will be the last windows I use(for personal use)... see
    >> ya, been nice working with you.

    >Studios don't want to release HD content unless they can protect it.
    >It won't just be Windows that implements the copy protection mechanisms.

    But why bow down to these evil bastards?
    XP, Oct 6, 2005
  13. XP

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:08:46 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >

    >>Why can't MS be like Apple and Nike and
    >>Just Do It.

    > Like the others they do, and they are telling us about it, just like the
    > other two.

    No, Apple gave absolutely no hint that the iPod nano even existed; and
    OSX releases are done and dusted in the timefame of the media hype
    around Vista.

    I guess Windows current sales just aren't affected by such long
    promotions of the next product, I can't think of many businesses that
    would survive by doing this.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 6, 2005
  14. XP

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:08:46 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> XP wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most Monitors Won't Play New HD Video
    >>> This is now getting so pathetic..
    >>> http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122738,00.asp

    >> old news Rig... this was discussed quite a while ago.
    >>

    >Yes, but how the hell else are all the magazines going to fill in the
    >whole year+ of Vista hype that we're going to be subjected to until the
    >release? There is so little to go on, they have to repeat stuff, just to
    >fill up space.
    >
    >Realistically, there is probably going to be 18 months - 2 years of
    >this, with another year of special dedicated articles about Vista after
    >it is released, some of which might actually be useful - for those that
    >buy it.

    Like how to fix it.
    GraB, Oct 6, 2005
  15. XP

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:33:08 +1300, XP
    <> wrote:

    >Most Monitors Won't Play New HD Video
    >

    >This is now getting so pathetic..
    >
    >http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122738,00.asp

    So that counts me out. There is no way I will be going anywhere near
    Vista. But I strongly suspect that in most places the uptake of HD
    Video will be slow. As it is, current TV technology doesn't get the
    best out of current DVDs anyway.

    I played "Lost In Translation" on my PC recently, with ATI-driven 19"
    CRT monitor. The sheer quality of the picture of that movie on the
    monitor was very impressive. I don't see how HD Video could be
    better. To really get better playback you would need a LOT of new
    hardware. Compared to the picture on my 19" monitor I have not been
    impressed by the picture on 42" plasma screens generally. I saw one
    demo where a HD-ready monitor was being fed by a HD video (generator?)
    and that was very good, but to achieve the totally smooth pixel-free
    look I get on the 19" monitor I had to stand back a long way,
    equivalent to having the screen at one end of the lounge and standing
    at the far end of the kitchen to watch it!
    GraB, Oct 6, 2005
  16. Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>> Just as all the DRM on some audio doesnt affect the files from where
    >>> I get them from, I doubt that this will worry any competent net user
    >>> in the slightest

    >> On reading the article, it seems to be a bit more than what was
    >> bantied around last time...
    >> It looks like XP will be the last windows I use(for personal use)...
    >> see ya, been nice working with you.

    > Studios don't want to release HD content unless they can protect it.
    > It won't just be Windows that implements the copy protection mechanisms.

    I'll see what happens... but windows announced it first, so their the
    first one on my list to ignore.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2005
  17. Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:40:22 +1300, someone purporting to be Nathan Mercer
    > didst scrawl:
    >

    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >
    >>Studios don't want to release HD content unless they can protect it.
    >>It won't just be Windows that implements the copy protection mechanisms.

    > MacOS likely will too. As for anything else, most of them can't afford the
    > extortionate licencing rates. Novell and RedHat have deep pockets, to be
    > sure, but thus far RH have been loathe to ship their products with
    > anything that's patent-encumbered.

    Someone will crack it, maybe not on windows(would atleast in theory be
    harder)... it is only a matter of time.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2005
  18. On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 08:24:48 +1300, someone purporting to be Dave -
    Dave.net.nz didst scrawl:

    > Matthew Poole wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > Someone will crack it, maybe not on windows(would atleast in theory be
    > harder)... it is only a matter of time.

    And unless something dramatic happens when the new law lands on the desk
    of the Finish president, it won't be anyone in Finland.

    Matthew Poole, Oct 6, 2005
  19. Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 08:24:48 +1300, someone purporting to be Dave -
    > Dave.net.nz didst scrawl:
    >

    >>Matthew Poole wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >
    >>Someone will crack it, maybe not on windows(would atleast in theory be
    >>harder)... it is only a matter of time.

    > And unless something dramatic happens when the new law lands on the desk
    > of the Finish president, it won't be anyone in Finland.

    Where is DVD jon from? it wasn't finland was it?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2005
  20. On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:36:34 +1300, someone purporting to be Dave -
    Dave.net.nz didst scrawl:

    > Matthew Poole wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > Where is DVD jon from? it wasn't finland was it?

    Nah, I'm pretty sure he's Norwegian.
    What's scary is that NZ may be "encouraged" to implement copyright laws
    similar to the ones in Europe, and I've no doubt that Finland will be held
    up as a shining example of enlightened copyright protection. Never mind
    that their new law makes ripping a CD a crime on the same level as
    possession of child pornography.

    Matthew Poole, Oct 6, 2005