Now all I get is a gray window?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by B. Peg, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. B. Peg

    B. Peg Guest

    Firefox finally died on me. Went back to version 1.03 hoping to get rid of
    the crashes from 1.04. It began sending Alerts, of which some went out and
    others hung up the machine. One hung and froze the mouse and modem. Had to
    pull modem wire to get control back. Then screen went black and had to do a
    hard reboot.

    Gave up on the Alert and send home and turned it off via the Alert options.
    Now it opens every time I start Firefox and nothing is in that window either
    other than gray (no text). If I hit the red X to kill the Alert Window
    Firefox will start but there is nothing in it, just gray as was the Alert
    Window.

    So Firefox is now dead and will not start at all. Computer at work on a LAN
    has been shutting down randomly as well (just move a mouse and Crash! and
    attempts to call Microsoft). Both are running XP: one at home on laptop is
    XP Home edition (finally totally dead to Firefox) and one at work is XP
    Professional which just crashes randomly but doesn't go gray screen.....yet.

    Fwiw, I did disable all extensions to no avail as suggested below. Only
    item noted was in the Microsoft phone-home error which referred to
    xpcom.dll.

    I am using IE6 in the meantime with no crashes.

    B~
    B. Peg, Jun 11, 2005

  2. B. Peg

    B. Peg Guest

    Got Firefox back courtesy of IE6. Googling "won't start" seems to be due to
    Firefox not uninstalling itself completely, on occasions, when shut down by
    hitting the red X in the upper right hand corner.

    Firefox.exe was still running in Task Manager > Processes (???). I shut it
    down from there by End Process and it allowed me to restart Firefox without
    being a gray screen. Some said to only shutdown Firefox from the File >
    Exit tab and do not use the red X to close it.

    Is this a bug?

    B~
    B. Peg, Jun 11, 2005

  3. B. Peg

    Lil' Abner Guest

    "B. Peg" <> wrote in

    > Got Firefox back courtesy of IE6. Googling "won't start" seems to be
    > due to Firefox not uninstalling itself completely, on occasions, when
    > shut down by hitting the red X in the upper right hand corner.
    >
    > Firefox.exe was still running in Task Manager > Processes (???). I
    > shut it down from there by End Process and it allowed me to restart
    > Firefox without being a gray screen. Some said to only shutdown
    > Firefox from the File > Exit tab and do not use the red X to close it.
    >
    > Is this a bug?

    Yeah, I think so. The major symptom I've gotten from this is that when I
    open Firefox it says that my profile is already in use and tries to get me
    to create a new one. When you do that, you've lost all your bookmarks and
    preferences. So now that I know what's going on, I just open task manager
    and kill the extra firefox.exe process and all is well. It doesn't happen
    very often though.
    But where it hurts is that I have been installing Firefox on all my
    customer's computers and urging them to use it instead of IE. Most of them
    do, but when this happens to them. they don't know the ropes and usually
    create a new profile and lose their preferences. After this happens a
    second time, they just go back to using IE.

    --
    -- If FedEx and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP? --
    Lil' Abner, Jun 12, 2005