    My processor is an AMD Athlon 64. Does this mean it is a "64"?
    Thanks for the help!
    Nurmi

    Nurmi, Mar 19, 2008

  2. Yes. The cpu is a 64bit processor. You may run either 32bit or 64bit Vista
    on it. You need to give the specs for your system and how you use a
    computer before any one can suggest which way you should go.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 20, 2008

  3. Nurmi

    Nurmi Guest

    Thanks Collin, I hope below is what you need to know?
    2.00 gigaherz AMD Athlon 64, 256 kilobyte primary memorty cahce, 1024
    kilobyte secondary memory cache. 102.36 Gb Hard Drive free Space,
    Main Circuit Board: Board: NF-Ck804, BusClock 201 meghertz, BIOS: Phoenix
    Technologies, LTD6.00 PG 08/05.2005.
    Memory Modules: 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory.
    Controllers: STandard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, Standard Open
    HCD USB Host Controller.
    Communication: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, primary Auto IP Address,
    Networking Dns Servers.
    Display: RADEON X550 [Display adapter], RADEON X550 Secondary [Display
    adapter] Samsung Sync Master [Monitor] 19.1 vis, s/n HVEV801745, August 2005.
    I have no idea what all this means, hope though it qualifies for Vista?
    I am retired and use the PC mainly for e-mail, research, music, video and
    still pics,
    I have one more question: What is the difference between a 32 and a 64?
    Thanks Nurmi

    Nurmi, Mar 20, 2008
  4. First, as to the difference between 32bit and 64bit Vista, start with the
    FAQ at
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/41531554-d5ef-4f2c-8fb9-149bdc5c8a701033.mspx

    I think you are pretty much OK to do Vista, but I have a few questions.

    Do you know who manufactured the motherboard? (several companies have
    NF-Ck804 boards)
    Can you afford to increase the memory to 2GB? This is important.
    What is the size of the hdd (I know there is 102.36 free)? You can look in
    My Computer. Right click on the drive icon and choose properties.
    Drivers for both 32bit and 64bit Vista are available for the Radeon X550
    cards but we need the mobo mfg or make and model number of the computer
    itself to see if other drivers are available. I am almost certain that they
    are.

    I think you will be fine with Vista Home Premium (32bit). You can review
    the editions at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx
    I cannot recommend Vista Home Basic. It does not have enough features for
    my liking.

    When you buy a retail copy of Vista Home Premium you get the 32bit dvd in
    the box and you can send for the 64bit dvd for $9.95 so you could change
    your mind later and reinstall the 64bit version. The one product key that
    comes with a retail copy of Vista works for both dvds. You can run either
    version but not both at the same time.

    Download and run the Vista Upgrade Advisor to get a list of things you are
    running now that may not work after an upgrade. I think the list may be
    pretty short.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pr...pgradeadvisor.mspx?wt_svl=20409a&mg_id=20409b

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 20, 2008
  5. What most people - and indeed the FAQ seems to prioritize, when describing
    the differences between 32 and 64bit is the memory. While this is entirely
    correct, it often doesn't tell us mere mortals how that relates to our own
    situation.

    When I tell friends and relatives that the difference is analog to your
    local Free-way that you use to go from A to B, they tend to look like they
    just found the light-switch.

    If you are on that free-way at times when it is mostly filled up, doubling
    the number of lanes will allow you to travel a lot faster at those times. If
    the lanes are mostly empty at those times, making the extension will have no
    effect at all for you.

    So, the 'bitness' has no inherent speed factor to it, it is the width of the
    data-path and that determines how much data you can pass along over a unit
    of time. If you have enough data, your job will finish more quickly.

    So, if what you do on a normal day seems to bog down the machine and make it
    sluggish, you may want to up the memory to 2Gb, as Colin says. It is
    doubtful if you would have much use of 4Gb or more, so a 32bit system is
    probably quite allright in your situation.

    Personally, I have XP Pro x64 and no, I do not need it from the technical
    point-of-view. Thanks to the folks here I managed to build a system that
    hasn't given me any headache (not much anyway). I think it's the best OS MS
    has ever made, and I have decided not to go for Vista at this time. If I
    were, it would certainly be 32bit.

    The machine isn't going to care much if you run one or the other, and the OS
    isn't going to care either if you are not going to buy any 64bit software in
    the near future. A time will come when everything we run will be 64bit (or
    more?) and then the difference will be essential. Untill that time, most
    users tend to have fewer problems (and much less confusion) from a 32bit
    system.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 20, 2008
  6. Nurmi

    Nurmi Guest

    Hello Tony, you first since you came last. Thank you for this apt analogy.
    It intend to give it some more thought before I get caught up in the hype
    about keeping up with the Jones. I have yet to run out of memory, so for the
    time being I shall keep what I have, try to keep the adware and viruses out,
    and enjoy Win XP.

    Thank you Collin.

    Nurmi, Mar 21, 2008
  7. Nurmi

    Nurmi Guest

    Thank you for the time your took and the attention you gave to my question.
    Tony explained the difference between the 64 and 32 bit I agree with his
    advice to keep what I have for the moment. However I would like to know if
    the following identifies the manufacturer of the board: "NF4 KAC-RS-1.0 ?
    Total harddrive space is 250GB. Where do I find the mobo mfg or make and
    model number of the computer? This would be background info, since Toni has
    convinced me to keep what I have. So if you are short on time, you need not
    answer.
    I wish both of you and your families a Green and Happy Easter Season!
    Nurmi

    Nurmi, Mar 21, 2008
  8. Ask the person who built it for you.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 21, 2008
  9. You might as well, Collin - let the Jone's pay for their own experiences.
    There is allways a fair bit of new ideas to wrap your head around with a
    technology change.

    You will in all likelihood need Blue-Ray sooner than a 64bit OS?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 21, 2008