Novice Needs Help With Purchase of Flat Screen Television

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Eochaid Buide, Nov 27, 2008.

  1. Hi. I am getting ready to purchase a flat screen television. I know, I
    know, I am finally leaving the Stone Age and am joining the modern
    world.

    I hope to get a 50" or 52" television. I know absolutely nothing about
    the specifications and what to look for. You know, like what
    pixel/resolution to get. I don't even know if that is the correct way
    to say it, pixel/resolution.

    So, I was really hoping for someone to maybe tell me what to look for,
    what name brand is tried and true, what pixel to get, etc... I need one
    that you can look at from an angle or straight ahead and it still looks
    decent. I don't think I will be able to put the TV in a corner or
    anything, but will have to place it on a flat wall.

    I heard somewhere that if you go over 52", like to a 54", that the
    televisions then became something called projection televisions and the
    picture wasn't as clear. Is that true?

    Anyway, if someone is bored and wants to help out someone that is trying
    to not make a mistake while getting his first flat screen, tell me what
    I should look for.
    Eochaid Buide, Nov 27, 2008

  2. "Eochaid Buide" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I am getting ready to purchase a flat screen television. I know, I
    > know, I am finally leaving the Stone Age and am joining the modern
    > world.
    >
    > I hope to get a 50" or 52" television. I know absolutely nothing about
    > the specifications and what to look for. You know, like what
    > pixel/resolution to get. I don't even know if that is the correct way
    > to say it, pixel/resolution.
    >
    > So, I was really hoping for someone to maybe tell me what to look for,
    > what name brand is tried and true, what pixel to get, etc... I need one
    > that you can look at from an angle or straight ahead and it still looks
    > decent. I don't think I will be able to put the TV in a corner or
    > anything, but will have to place it on a flat wall.
    >
    > I heard somewhere that if you go over 52", like to a 54", that the
    > televisions then became something called projection televisions and the
    > picture wasn't as clear. Is that true?
    >
    > Anyway, if someone is bored and wants to help out someone that is trying
    > to not make a mistake while getting his first flat screen, tell me what
    > I should look for.

    You must be a product of a government school-- looking to be spoon-fed an
    answer. For Pete's sakes, man-- do a little reading/research first then come
    back with some specific, intelligent questions.

    Google is your friend.
    Wing Tip Wally, Nov 27, 2008

  3. Eochaid Buide

    Tony Guest

    Buy a 52 inch sony bravia or sharp aquos 1080p. Lcd tv's do come in sizes
    bigger than 52 inches. Lcd screens larger than 65 inches are still pricey
    for your average 9 to 5er.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 27, 2008
  4. On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:52:39 -0500, "Wing Tip Wally" <>
    wrote:

    >You must be a product of a government school-- looking to be spoon-fed an
    >answer. For Pete's sakes, man-- do a little reading/research first then come
    >back with some specific, intelligent questions.
    >
    >Google is your friend.

    **** off you sanctimonious and effeminate twit. I come to a help group
    for help and if you don't like it you can slap your sister again and
    make her re-stack your beer can pyramid.

    I can scarcely imagine a twat bigger and more stanky than one that hangs
    around a help group on Usenet informing people that they will not help
    them.

    **** your mother and then kill yourself.
    Eochaid Buide, Nov 27, 2008
  5. On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:01:43 -0500, Tony <> wrote:

    >Buy a 52 inch sony bravia or sharp aquos 1080p. Lcd tv's do come in sizes
    >bigger than 52 inches. Lcd screens larger than 65 inches are still pricey
    >for your average 9 to 5er.

    Thanks a lot, Tony.
    Eochaid Buide, Nov 27, 2008
  6. Eochaid Buide

    Cork Soaker Guest

    Eochaid Buide wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:52:39 -0500, "Wing Tip Wally" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> You must be a product of a government school-- looking to be spoon-fed an
    >> answer. For Pete's sakes, man-- do a little reading/research first then come
    >> back with some specific, intelligent questions.
    >>
    >> Google is your friend.

    > **** off you sanctimonious and effeminate twit. I come to a help group
    > for help and if you don't like it you can slap your sister again and
    > make her re-stack your beer can pyramid.
    >
    > I can scarcely imagine a twat bigger and more stanky than one that hangs
    > around a help group on Usenet informing people that they will not help
    > them.
    >
    > **** your mother and then kill yourself.

    Definitely still on the teet this one.
    Cork Soaker, Nov 28, 2008
  7. Eochaid Buide

    Cork Soaker Guest

    Eochaid Buide wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:01:43 -0500, Tony <> wrote:
    >
    >> Buy a 52 inch sony bravia or sharp aquos 1080p. Lcd tv's do come in sizes
    >> bigger than 52 inches. Lcd screens larger than 65 inches are still pricey
    >> for your average 9 to 5er.
    >>

    > Thanks a lot, Tony.

    And then buy anything else the man at the shop tells you to, you
    braindead corporate drone.
    Cork Soaker, Nov 28, 2008
  8. Eochaid Buide

    Mike Litoris Guest

    "Eochaid Buide" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:52:39 -0500, "Wing Tip Wally" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>You must be a product of a government school-- looking to be spoon-fed an
    >>answer. For Pete's sakes, man-- do a little reading/research first then
    >>come
    >>back with some specific, intelligent questions.
    >>
    >>Google is your friend.

    > **** off you sanctimonious and effeminate twit. I come to a help group
    > for help and if you don't like it you can slap your sister again and
    > make her re-stack your beer can pyramid.
    >
    > I can scarcely imagine a twat bigger and more stanky than one that hangs
    > around a help group on Usenet informing people that they will not help
    > them.
    >
    > **** your mother and then kill yourself.

    You ain't seen nothing yet, mate. Wait till the alcoholists Mike Easter and
    Evan Platt have recovered from their hangovers.
    Mike Litoris, Nov 28, 2008
  9. On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 15:49:23 -0600, Eochaid Buide aided th' terraists with
    the following claims :

    > Hi. I am getting ready to purchase a flat screen television. I know, I
    > know, I am finally leaving the Stone Age and am joining the modern
    > world.
    >
    > I hope to get a 50" or 52" television. I know absolutely nothing about
    > the specifications and what to look for. You know, like what
    > pixel/resolution to get. I don't even know if that is the correct way
    > to say it, pixel/resolution.

    Here's how I'd make my choice: energy consumption.
    The Plasma units apparently consume around 75 watts of power even when
    they are "off".
    Must be one hell of a power bill every month.
    So smaller is better and LCD is better than plasma if you're into saving
    energy like me.
    FYI
    HTH

    http://www.alternet.org