novell/NLM??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tony Milner, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. Tony Milner

    Tony Milner Guest

    We have had a computer donated by a company who cleared all their data off
    intending to leave us with Windows 98 and Words and Excel to use. However,
    when I turn the computer on it gets to the stage where the windows logo
    comes up and then the problems start. We get the following message:
    NIOS-202-105: An attempt to load NBIC32.NLM faikled because the specifed
    file could not be found. MODULE C:\NOVELL\CLIENT32\NBIC32.NLM did not remain
    resident. Press any key to continue.
    this is repeated for the following files:
    WM95ENDS.NLM
    LCLC32.NILM
    TRANNTA.NLM
    IPHLPR.NLM
    SRVLOC.NLM
    IPX.NLM
    SPX_SKTS.NLM
    VMLID.NLM
    CLIENT32.NLM
    The company kindly gave us the Windows 98 CD and I have reloaded it but
    still I get the above. The system seems to be very unstable and shows a
    number of exception errors.
    I am not a computer expert by any means but I have looked at the
    AUTOEXEC.BAT file but can see no mention of NOVELL.
    Is there anything I can do to get the PC to run Windows etc?

    Would appreciate any assistance

    Thanks

    Tony Milner

    Tony Milner, Oct 14, 2003

  2. reformat & reinstall Win98 is probably easiest. You can try removing the
    Netware Client which is causing the problems, but if the files are not
    actually present, which is what the error message indicates, then the
    attempt will probably fail.

    My guess is that the problem is that the company 'cleared' the Netware
    client by deleting the files, not via an uninstall. This removed the
    files but left present the registry keys that reference those files. You
    could run regedit & remove those registry keys, but you're unlikely to
    get them all & I'd attempt this only if there was an overriding reason
    why you couldn't reformat.

    Reinstall without reformat refreshes the Windows files, but doesn't
    restore any 'external' files such as the Netware Client files. Nor does
    it usually change the registry settings. (The usual purpose of
    reinstalling Windows over itself is so you don't lose your existing
    setup. When it's the existing setup itself that's the problem though,
    this approach is doomed to failure.)

    Calvin Crumrine, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Tony Milner

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Tony Milner" <> wrote in news:bmhi7s$gbg$1
    @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > The company kindly gave us the Windows 98 CD and I have reloaded it but
    > still I get the above. The system seems to be very unstable and shows a
    > number of exception errors.
    > I am not a computer expert by any means but I have looked at the
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT file but can see no mention of NOVELL.
    > Is there anything I can do to get the PC to run Windows etc?

    You can either manually edit system.ini (in the windows folder) and the
    registry to remove all traces of Novell, or you can simply remove the
    entire Windows folder (from a Win 9x boot disk) and reload the OS from
    scratch. It's leftovers from the company that apparently has a Novell
    server and had the client installed on their 98 machines.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 14, 2003