Novell land

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Now What, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Now What

    Now What Guest

    I have been working 6 years in the network group at a
    company that has two sites one east coast one west. I am
    at the east, our network is mixed with MS Novell in the
    east and MS on the west. Nop chance of going west.
    I decided to obtain my MCSE, I am 2 tests short of that
    goal. Since Novell is the major player on our east coast,
    most of our team is Novell certified. I handle most MS
    servers, and IIS functions.
    My question is more of a state of depression, I am often
    told that MS certifications hold no value of course by our
    Novell experts. That I should obtain a CNE. Please tell
    me what's on the other side of the rainbow!!
    I plan to stick it out and move on once I finish my MCSE
    and get at least two more years experience. My hope is to
    find a place were What I am learning holds value instead
    of , "Well Novell can do that to! from our CNES"

    Just a side note the other day we had a power failure
    Guess who go to go home on time and giuess who had to call
    tech support to bring up the servers again.

    Now What, Dec 10, 2003

  2. MCSE alone has no value. MCSE + experience has value.

    As for Novell, it used to hold 80%+ of the File and Print server market in
    the 90's, but a good chunk of Novell customers have since migrated to
    Microsoft and Linux. Novell just bought SuSE, so perhaps they are going to
    parallel what Apple did by replacing their OS with a UNIX version. If that
    interests you, then stick with Novell. But with your experience, your MCSE
    does hold value, so don't listen to what your Novell boys are saying. It's
    all the inexperienced MCSE's out there that the market has no interest in.

    --
    Politician Spock
    MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

    Politician Spock, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Now What

    Guest Guest

    I am also certified Novell and I just passed my last exam
    for my MCSE yesterday. I now get paid to upgrade graying
    NT domains to ADS and to remove Novell from many sites. It
    depends on the security needs and the amount companies are
    willing to pay. Most companies, they need moderate
    security, that can be offered by the ADS. For High end
    security Novell still wins but at what cost to the company
    because they usually have to license Novell and NT. Most
    sites decide that the 2 systems are too costly and that is
    why Novell is down to 11% of the market at last count. Any
    medium to large company that has Novell is sure to have
    NT. They try to ignore the NT and delay installing ADS but
    the NT domains getting old and must be upgraded to ADS
    soon. Welcome to the gravy train. Like the previous post
    states MCSE + experience = a job anywhere. Most CEOs are
    not wild about spending money for nothing and chose to
    remove Novell and save the licensing costs when they see
    that ADS does almost the same thing and that they can't
    remove the Microsoft domain. Get those last 2 exams!
    JL

    Guest, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Now What

    Jim McCarty Guest

    I agree with everyone else, I have been in the Military
    for 17 Years, I run a rather large IT shop. I get offers
    from just about every direction around here. Experience
    is the key. Finish the MCSE.

    Jim McCarty, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Now What

    Dragon Guest

    Finish your MCSE. Novell is a dieing beast. I started out certifying (CNA)
    then went towards MCSE. I have not touched a Novell system in over 4 years.
    Even back then only one of my clients had Novell.

    Novell had a good product but didn't know what to do with it. They also had
    extremely bad marketing department. In any case, tell your Novell friends,
    post a resume on monster (and yours with MCSE) and see who gets more hits.

    As it stands right now, this world is a Microsoft land.Days of the Novell
    are gone.

    Dragon, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Now What

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Don't waste your $$$ on Novell cert!!! Are you crazzy! Haven't you been
    reading the papers, man!!

    Novell dropped the friggin' ball on netware. And they are about to apply
    that "magic touch" to poor suse and linux. I feel bad for the poor suckers
    that hold CNE and MCNE's. CNA's too.

    Your MCSE is as good and worthwhile as you want to make it. If you dump, it
    will be worthless, if you don't and make the most of the learning, it will
    be worth something.

    good luck.

    "Now What" <> wrote in news:0be501c3bf1b
    $c6d054b0$:

    Rowdy Yates, Dec 11, 2003
  7. I am finishing up my final week as an IT employee for a mid-size city, we
    have 4 CNE's and just 2 MCSE's. We have both NDS and AD, Our boss (log time
    Novell Guy) about 2 months ago dropped a bomb shell and said why do we
    Novell, we can save $80,000 to $100,000 in license fees if we drop Novell
    because all the apps work on Windows Servers, so we can't drop them. Our
    Novell folks are freaking out and doing everything in their power now to
    destroy and or discredit the Windows side, even bringing in Novell's Big
    Hitters on all the reasons not to leave. All I can say is our AD
    infrastructure is rock-solid and only takes 2 of us, and we have many more
    app and infrastructure servers (DHCP, DNS, IAS, IIS, RRAS, Media, etc.) to
    handle then the Novell side (File and Print, Groupwise, Boarder Manager), it
    seems it takes all four of them to keep the Novell Side functioning. We run
    Novell Netware 6.5 and Windows 2003 Native AD, Windows 2000 and XP Pro
    Workstations.

    Of course what ever happens I could care less, I'm off to a better position
    as a full time Trainer...

    --
    Jeffrey W. Roach
    MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CTTS, CNA, Network+, A+

    Jeffrey W. Roach, Dec 11, 2003