    his password. He wants to remove Novell.client
    completely if possible.
    I am at a loss. What is the best way to go?
    jfwilson, Aug 30, 2003

  2. jfwilson

    Steven H Guest

    novell uses c/s authentication, so logon locally (tick Logon to
    Workstation). and uninstall the novell client.

    of course you will need to login to a local administrator account

    another way to do it is change the password with the novell
    administrator thingee thats on the server.

    but then again its really only buisnesses that use novell, and of thoes
    buisnesses they are usually of the larger variaty simply because of the
    licencing costs involved - and as souch usually have their own IT staff
    to handle these things.

    so i would recomend that the legeal owner of this computer (which in all
    likelyhood is the company) take it to their IT staff and have it fixed.

    i wouldnt want to be presumptious and say that the box is hot - but it
    does begg the question.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Aug 30, 2003

  3. jfwilson

    jfwilson Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > novell uses c/s authentication, so logon locally (tick Logon to
    > Workstation). and uninstall the novell client.
    >
    > of course you will need to login to a local administrator account
    >
    > another way to do it is change the password with the novell
    > administrator thingee thats on the server.
    >
    > but then again its really only buisnesses that use novell, and of thoes
    > buisnesses they are usually of the larger variaty simply because of the
    > licencing costs involved - and as souch usually have their own IT staff
    > to handle these things.
    >
    > so i would recomend that the legeal owner of this computer (which in all
    > likelyhood is the company) take it to their IT staff and have it fixed.
    >
    > i wouldnt want to be presumptious and say that the box is hot - but it
    > does begg the question.

    Now that is interesting. The owner does not seem to know
    very much about computers and says he installed Novell
    client to protect the computer from his younger brothers,
    then could'nt remember his password. The computer was
    bought for home use a year ago for $2000. I wanted to
    run Norton Utilities on it to sort it out then connect them
    to the internet but I cannot do either without logging on as
    Administrator.
    They can log in as user but not as administrator and that
    is the problem.
    jfwilson, Aug 30, 2003
  4. jfwilson

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:45:10 +1200, "jfwilson"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >They can log in as user but not as administrator and that
    > >is the problem.
    > >

    > Go into Control Panel / Users and give them admin rights if that is
    > needed...

    you kinda need to be administrator to do that!

    Steven H
    Steven H, Aug 30, 2003
  5. jfwilson

    Steven H Guest

    In article <s4V3b.185$>,
    says...

    > They can log in as user but not as administrator and that
    > is the problem.

    ok then you will need to root the install - simply done

    you can download a Emergency Boot CD (or EBCD) from
    http://www.ebcd.i-am.ru/ (its down atm - prolly be up later).

    you can use this to boot the computer (off the cd drive) and there is a
    option to either view or change the administrator password.

    > he installed Novell client to protect the computer from his younger brothers

    i wont make any comment - its really up to you whether you question
    this, but it does look (at first glance) suspicious.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Aug 30, 2003
  6. jfwilson

    jfwilson Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > In article <s4V3b.185$>,
    > says...
    >
    > > They can log in as user but not as administrator and that
    > > is the problem.

    > ok then you will need to root the install - simply done
    >
    > you can download a Emergency Boot CD (or EBCD) from
    > http://www.ebcd.i-am.ru/ (its down atm - prolly be up later).
    >
    > you can use this to boot the computer (off the cd drive) and there is a
    > option to either view or change the administrator password.
    >
    > > he installed Novell client to protect the computer from his younger

    brothers

    > i wont make any comment - its really up to you whether you question
    > this, but it does look (at first glance) suspicious.

    Thankyou very much.
    If I become suspicious how could I confirm or identify
    it's origin.
    jfwilson, Aug 30, 2003