    fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
    cartoons.

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Jun 6, 2004

  2. "Tad Bitt§ï£" <> wrote in message
    news:2XFwc.69383$...
    > Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
    > Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, fuckin' Disney.

    Nortorius,
    > Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out

    or
    > print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let"

    Criterion
    > release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
    > the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
    > the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the

    studio
    > then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The

    sad
    > fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    > version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick

    > cartoons.

    oops, forgot The 39 Steps is also one of the Criterion Hitch releases. This
    one is still in print

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Tad Bitt§ï£

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article
    <2XFwc.69383$>, Tad
    Bitt§ï£ <> wrote:

    > Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
    > Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, fuckin' Disney. Nortorius,
    > Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
    > print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
    > release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
    > the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
    > the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
    > then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
    > fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    > version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
    > cartoons.

    What's wrong with a cheap version for those who don't want to pay
    Criterion prices?

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Tad Bitt§ï£

    Biz Guest

    "Tad Bitt§ï£" <> wrote in message
    > Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
    > Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, fuckin' Disney.

    Nortorius,
    > Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out

    or
    > print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let"

    Criterion
    > release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
    > the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
    > the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the

    studio
    > then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The

    sad
    > fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    > version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick

    > cartoons.

    I'll agree that Disney has kinda messed up on quite a few movies in the
    past, but look at the fantastic job they did with Pirates of the
    Carribean...so we can hope they might get their issues worked out.

    Biz, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Invid Fan wrote:

    > In article
    > <2XFwc.69383$>, Tad
    > Bitt§ï£ <> wrote:
    >

    >>Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
    >>Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, fuckin' Disney. Nortorius,
    >>Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
    >>print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
    >>release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
    >>the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
    >>the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
    >>then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
    >>fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    >>version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
    >>cartoons.
    >>

    > What's wrong with a cheap version for those who don't want to pay
    > Criterion prices?

    My thoughts when I bought the Anchor Bay version of Notorious. Now I
    have the Criterion version and I am all the better for it.

    --
    "I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
    heard all day."

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Tad Bitt§ï£ wrote:

    > Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
    > Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, fuckin' Disney. Nortorius,
    > Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
    > print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
    > release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
    > the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
    > the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
    > then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
    > fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    > version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
    > cartoons.

    Wow, unless Disney releases the same transfer and extras as the
    Criterion versions expect those versions to fetch some high prices on
    E-Bay. But I ain't partin' with my copies, not for any price.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Tad Bitt§ï£

    jayembee Guest

    Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    @twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, says...

    > Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
    > Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, fuckin' Disney. Nortorius,
    > Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
    > print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
    > release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
    > the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
    > the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
    > then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
    > fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    > version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
    > cartoons.

    The only correct statement in the above is that the Criterion editions
    of those three titles are OOP.

    (1) Disney does not own the films at all, let alone own them "all
    along".

    (2) Since they didn't own them, they didn't "let" Criterion release
    them.

    (3) They are not going to be releasing them in the future.

    (4) It's not "much of Alfred Hitchcock's early American releases".

    MGM -- not Disney -- has acquired -- recently, not "all along" -- the
    rights to the four -- not "much of" -- Hitch films that were made by
    David O. Selznick's independent production company. The four titles in
    question are REBECCA, SPELLBOUND, NOTORIOUS, and THE PARADINE CASE.

    MGM plans to release them around the end of the year, along with
    editions of four of Hitch's British films that are in the Public Domain
    here in the US: THE LADY VANISHES, THE 39 STEPS (both of which are still
    in print from Criterion), SABOTAGE, and YOUNG AND INNOCENT.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Tad Bitt§ï£

    JimReid56 Guest

    Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    >MGM -- not Disney -- has acquired -- recently, not "all along" -- the
    >rights to the four -- not "much of" -- Hitch films that were made by
    >David O. Selznick's independent production company. The four titles in
    >question are REBECCA, SPELLBOUND, NOTORIOUS, and THE PARADINE CASE.

    MGM may have aquired these for release, but when the Selznick Studio dissolved,
    the rights to the films were divided between Selznick and his partner, Jock
    Whitney. The films that Whitney got, have all gone PD. (Star is Born, Nothing
    Sacred, etc.) The Selznick films, including the four Hitchcocks were sold to
    ABC Films after Seznick's death. When DIsney bought ABC, they got those films.
    So the original poster was correct about the ownership, no matter who releases
    them.

    JimReid56, Jun 7, 2004
  9. Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    On 6 Jun 2004, JimReid56 wrote:

    > MGM may have aquired these for release, but when the Selznick Studio dissolved,
    > the rights to the films were divided between Selznick and his partner, Jock
    > Whitney. The films that Whitney got, have all gone PD. (Star is Born, Nothing
    > Sacred, etc.) The Selznick films, including the four Hitchcocks were sold to
    > ABC Films after Seznick's death. When DIsney bought ABC, they got those films.
    > So the original poster was correct about the ownership, no matter who releases
    > them.

    Including the new MGM releases of JUNIOR BONNER and TOO LATE THE HERO.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jun 7, 2004
  10. Tad Bitt§ï£

    drsd2kill Guest

    Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    Actually, ABC acquired the Hitchcock films from the Selznick Estate, so Disney
    acquired them when they bought ABC. They leased them to Criterion, and now they
    have leased them to MGM.

    drsd2kill, Jun 7, 2004
  11. Tad Bitt§ï£

    karlpov Guest

    Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    Since you're generally informed about Criterion, I wonder if you know
    why M is being allowed to go out of print. Isn't it PD?

    karlpov, Jun 7, 2004
  12. Tad Bitt§ï£

    jayembee Guest

    Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    says...

    > Since you're generally informed about Criterion, I wonder if you know
    > why M is being allowed to go out of print. Isn't it PD?

    From what I understand, it's the same reason they let the original issue
    of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST go out of print: they're preparing a new,
    improved transfer.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 7, 2004
  13. Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    karlpov wrote:
    > Since you're generally informed about Criterion, I wonder if you know
    > why M is being allowed to go out of print. Isn't it PD?

    It's to make room for an improved re-release (like the ones for _Beauty and
    the Beast_, _The 400 Blows_ and _Charade_). See the bold-faced paragraph at
    <http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=30> for more details.

    HTH,

    doug

    --
    "It's just for now; it's just for now; even if it makes you happy..."
    --Wir

    Douglas Bailey, Jun 7, 2004
  14. Tad Bitt§ï£

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:33:34 GMT, "Tad Bitt§ï£" <>
    wrote:

    >Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
    >Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, fuckin' Disney. Nortorius,
    >Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
    >print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
    >release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
    >the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
    >the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
    >then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
    >fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    >version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
    >cartoons.

    What's wrong with that? The Criterion versions were overpriced
    anyway, and Disney produces some of the best DVDs in the business.
    This sounds like great news to me!

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 8, 2004
  15. Tad Bitt§ï£

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 19:54:45 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >I'll agree that Disney has kinda messed up on quite a few movies in the
    >past, but look at the fantastic job they did with Pirates of the
    >Carribean...so we can hope they might get their issues worked out.

    In the distant past...their record the past few years has been
    stellar.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 8, 2004
  16. Mike Kohary wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:33:34 GMT, "Tad Bitt§ï£" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
    >>Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, fuckin' Disney. Nortorius,
    >>Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
    >>print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
    >>release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
    >>the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
    >>the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
    >>then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
    >>fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    >>version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
    >>cartoons.

    > What's wrong with that? The Criterion versions were overpriced
    > anyway, and Disney produces some of the best DVDs in the business.
    > This sounds like great news to me!
    >
    > Mike

    You want cheap Criterions? And I mean real ones, not funky bootlegs.
    Don't buy retail, buy online.

    www.dvdpricesearch.com

    When I worked for Best Buy we could buy DVDs practically at cost, and
    the prices you get on this site are as good as what I paid then.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 8, 2004
  17. Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > @twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, says...
    >
    > > Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
    > > Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, fuckin' Disney.

    Nortorius,
    > > Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now

    out or
    > > print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let"

    Criterion
    > > release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test

    market
    > > the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they

    see
    > > the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the

    studio
    > > then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The

    sad
    > > fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
    > > version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick

    > > cartoons.

    > The only correct statement in the above is that the Criterion editions
    > of those three titles are OOP.
    >
    > (1) Disney does not own the films at all, let alone own them "all
    > along".
    >
    > (2) Since they didn't own them, they didn't "let" Criterion release
    > them.
    >
    > (3) They are not going to be releasing them in the future.
    >
    > (4) It's not "much of Alfred Hitchcock's early American releases".
    >
    > MGM -- not Disney -- has acquired -- recently, not "all along" -- the
    > rights to the four -- not "much of" -- Hitch films that were made by
    > David O. Selznick's independent production company. The four titles in
    > question are REBECCA, SPELLBOUND, NOTORIOUS, and THE PARADINE CASE.
    >
    > MGM plans to release them around the end of the year, along with
    > editions of four of Hitch's British films that are in the Public Domain
    > here in the US: THE LADY VANISHES, THE 39 STEPS (both of which are still
    > in print from Criterion), SABOTAGE, and YOUNG AND INNOCENT.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    You don't know shit

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Jun 9, 2004
  18. Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    look at the CRiterion dvd and you will see a reference to Disney..

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Jun 9, 2004
  19. Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    "JimReid56" <> wrote in message
    > >MGM -- not Disney -- has acquired -- recently, not "all along" -- the
    > >rights to the four -- not "much of" -- Hitch films that were made by
    > >David O. Selznick's independent production company. The four titles in
    > >question are REBECCA, SPELLBOUND, NOTORIOUS, and THE PARADINE CASE.

    > MGM may have aquired these for release, but when the Selznick Studio

    dissolved,
    > the rights to the films were divided between Selznick and his partner,

    Jock
    > Whitney. The films that Whitney got, have all gone PD. (Star is Born,

    Nothing
    > Sacred, etc.) The Selznick films, including the four Hitchcocks were sold

    > ABC Films after Seznick's death. When DIsney bought ABC, they got those

    films.
    > So the original poster was correct about the ownership, no matter who

    releases
    > them.

    Like I say, Jaymeebee is quick to assume he knows all. He knows alot, but
    not "all" about films. Nice attempt at trying to look better or perhaps
    smarter than another poster J.

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Jun 9, 2004
  20. Tad Bitt§ï£

    jayembee Guest

    Re: Notorius...Disney <--- incorrect

    says...

    > You don't know shit

    Which is, apparently, still more than you know.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 9, 2004