    Why is Notorious (1946) so expensive? I either can't find it or when i do
    it's so freaking expensive, what's the big deal? I don't get it.
    , Feb 21, 2004

  2. Richard C. Guest

    Richard C., Feb 21, 2004

  3. wrote:

    > Why is Notorious (1946) so expensive? I either can't find it or when i do
    > it's so freaking expensive, what's the big deal? I don't get it.

    Assuming you're in R1, the answer is that the film is out of print on DVD.
    So it's hard to find, and it costs whatever the market will bear.

    There've been two releases of _Notorious_ on R1 DVD. The first, by Anchor
    Bay, is long out of print. The second, a special edition release by
    Criterion, is two months out of print and had a higher list price ($39.95
    vs. the AB disc's $14.98) to begin with.

    --
    Douglas Bailey
    "When it's cold I feel cold; when it's hot, I feel ambitious..."
    Douglas Bailey, Feb 21, 2004
  4. BubbCoop Guest

    $29 at dvdboxoffice isn't bad at all for this $39.99 title.
    BubbCoop, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Haans Guest

    "BubbCoop" <> wrote in message
    > $29 at dvdboxoffice isn't bad at all for this $39.99 title.

    And $27.70 at DVDPacific is even better. Plus they offer great customer
    service and report it as "in stock" :)
    Haans, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Ray Guest

    > > $29 at dvdboxoffice isn't bad at all for this $39.99 title.
    >
    > And $27.70 at DVDPacific is even better. Plus they offer great customer
    > service and report it as "in stock" :)

    I was able to get the box set that contained Notorious, Rebecca, Spellbound,
    The Lady Vanishes, and The 39 Steps for about $100 before it went out of
    print.

    Ray, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Ray wrote:

    >>>$29 at dvdboxoffice isn't bad at all for this $39.99 title.

    >>And $27.70 at DVDPacific is even better. Plus they offer great customer
    >>service and report it as "in stock" :)

    > I was able to get the box set that contained Notorious, Rebecca, Spellbound,
    > The Lady Vanishes, and The 39 Steps for about $100 before it went out of
    > print.

    That box set is back in print, I believe. I saw it at Best Buy a few
    weeks ago. Anyway, to the original poster, have you tried buying DVDs
    online? It's often a lot cheaper than retail, especially for Criterion
    titles, box sets, and hard to find releases.

    www.dvdpricesearch.com

    You look up what you want and it gives you a bunch of vendors and their
    prices, including shipping and handling, if applicable. I buy at least
    three quarters of my DVDs on the internet now.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Feb 23, 2004
  8. jayembee Guest

    Douglas Bailey <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Why is Notorious (1946) so expensive? I either can't find it or when i do
    >> it's so freaking expensive, what's the big deal? I don't get it.

    >Assuming you're in R1, the answer is that the film is out of print on DVD.
    >So it's hard to find, and it costs whatever the market will bear.
    >
    >There've been two releases of _Notorious_ on R1 DVD. The first, by Anchor
    >Bay, is long out of print. The second, a special edition release by
    >Criterion, is two months out of print and had a higher list price ($39.95
    >vs. the AB disc's $14.98) to begin with.

    And it should be noted that MGM now has the rights to NOTORIOUS,
    REBECCA, and SPELLBOUND. Presumably, they will be releasing them on
    DVD at some future time.

    (I assume they also have the rights to THE PARADINE CASE, the fourth
    Selznick-produced Hitchcock film, which Anchor Bay had released along
    with the other three, but Criterion did not.)

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 23, 2004
  9. jayembee Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    >> I was able to get the box set that contained Notorious, Rebecca, Spellbound,
    >> The Lady Vanishes, and The 39 Steps for about $100 before it went out of
    >> print.

    >That box set is back in print, I believe. I saw it at Best Buy a few
    >weeks ago.

    Old stock. The set is out of print because Criterion doesn't have the
    rights to three of the titles anymore.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 23, 2004