    to edit and 54k to open in earlier versions of Windows (MS KB page).
    Does anyone know the larger limit, and is it due to NTFS? Thanks.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2005

  2. Tom MacIntyre

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 00:24:11 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
    <> wrote:

    >I lnow that this is quite small in early versions of Windows, but I
    >just noticed today that I could open at least somewhat larger files in
    >Windows 2000 (I don't use Notepad much, and have never read anything
    >about this before). After several different searches, and with limited
    >time, I haven't been able to get the answer, other than that it's 45k
    >to edit and 54k to open in earlier versions of Windows (MS KB page).
    >Does anyone know the larger limit, and is it due to NTFS? Thanks.

    The file limit is supposed to be 64 KB.
    Because that's the maximum segment size in 16-bit mode :)
    It has nothing to do with NTFS or FAT.

    Just tried XP Prof. No problem opening a 61 KB.
    Probably not much room to edit :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Dec 4, 2005

  3. On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:07:26 GMT, (Gerard Bok) wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 00:24:11 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>I lnow that this is quite small in early versions of Windows, but I
    >>just noticed today that I could open at least somewhat larger files in
    >>Windows 2000 (I don't use Notepad much, and have never read anything
    >>about this before). After several different searches, and with limited
    >>time, I haven't been able to get the answer, other than that it's 45k
    >>to edit and 54k to open in earlier versions of Windows (MS KB page).
    >>Does anyone know the larger limit, and is it due to NTFS? Thanks.

    >The file limit is supposed to be 64 KB.
    >Because that's the maximum segment size in 16-bit mode :)
    >It has nothing to do with NTFS or FAT.

    I always thought that it was 64k, but the MS KB article said 45
    edit/54 read. I guess if it's segment size (I had forgotten that, like
    so many other things I used to know), with 32-bit it'll handle quite a
    large file. :)

    The files I was reading were 80-90k, and no error message to use
    another program, Notepad just opened them. I'll have to try some
    bigger ones for grins and giggles.

    Thanks.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Tom MacIntyre

    smackedass Guest

    This is interesting, I know that programmers (I know NOTHING about
    programming) often prefer either notepad or wordpad, I forget which, for
    their "sandbox" programs, since they're easily transferrable and available.
    And, I know, that whenever I use one of them, I forget which, if I'm trying
    to open a file that's too large for it, asks me if I'd like to use the other
    one, instead.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Dec 4, 2005
  5. On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 05:06:46 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    <> wrote:

    >smackedass wrote:
    >>
    >> This is interesting, I know that programmers (I know NOTHING about
    >> programming) often prefer either notepad or wordpad, I forget which, for
    >> their "sandbox" programs, since they're easily transferrable and available.
    >> And, I know, that whenever I use one of them, I forget which, if I'm trying
    >> to open a file that's too large for it, asks me if I'd like to use the other
    >> one, instead.
    >>
    >> smackedass

    > Wordpad handles larger files and is better behaved. I use it along
    >with custom made templates to design web pages. I used to just delete
    >notepad from PCs so that VBS scrits couldn't auto run.

    I've now opened files as large as 2M (an MP3) with Notepad...slow
    going, though.

    Of course I will keep playing with this. :)

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Tom MacIntyre

    MF Guest

    "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 05:06:46 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>smackedass wrote:
    >>>
    >>> This is interesting, I know that programmers (I know NOTHING about
    >>> programming) often prefer either notepad or wordpad, I forget which, for
    >>> their "sandbox" programs, since they're easily transferrable and
    >>> available.
    >>> And, I know, that whenever I use one of them, I forget which, if I'm
    >>> trying
    >>> to open a file that's too large for it, asks me if I'd like to use the
    >>> other
    >>> one, instead.
    >>>
    >>> smackedass

    >> Wordpad handles larger files and is better behaved. I use it along
    >>with custom made templates to design web pages. I used to just delete
    >>notepad from PCs so that VBS scrits couldn't auto run.

    > I've now opened files as large as 2M (an MP3) with Notepad...slow
    > going, though.
    >
    > Of course I will keep playing with this. :)
    >
    > Tom

    It was slow because it didn't understand the file. Try HTML for big files.
    I've opened HTML files over 1 meg in about half a second.

    And just now inspired by frivolity - no wonder I don't have a yacht - just
    opened a 14.2 meg html file in about 3.5 seconds.

    Some folks here sound as if 2K and XP never happened :) I think the
    Notepad's file size is now for practical purposes unlimited - and before
    someone proves that this is not possible, I mean that it will open any text
    file of any size that one is likely to find.

    Now I am going to calculate how many angels can dance on the pointy head of
    a politician.

    Mike
    MF, Dec 5, 2005
  7. On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:23:29 -0500, "MF"
    <> wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 05:06:46 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Wordpad handles larger files and is better behaved. I use it along
    >>>with custom made templates to design web pages. I used to just delete
    >>>notepad from PCs so that VBS scrits couldn't auto run.

    >> I've now opened files as large as 2M (an MP3) with Notepad...slow
    >> going, though.
    >>
    >> Of course I will keep playing with this. :)
    >>
    >> Tom

    >It was slow because it didn't understand the file. Try HTML for big files.
    >I've opened HTML files over 1 meg in about half a second.
    >
    >And just now inspired by frivolity - no wonder I don't have a yacht - just
    >opened a 14.2 meg html file in about 3.5 seconds.
    >
    >Some folks here sound as if 2K and XP never happened :) I think the
    >Notepad's file size is now for practical purposes unlimited - and before
    >someone proves that this is not possible, I mean that it will open any text
    >file of any size that one is likely to find.
    >
    >Now I am going to calculate how many angels can dance on the pointy head of
    >a politician.
    >
    >Mike

    If the calculation works the same as for 16-bit (which I think it
    should), it's 4G with 32 bit. That's a pretty big file...pagefile.sys
    on steroids. :)

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 5, 2005