    "unable to find Notepad.exe" .

    How can I remedy this problem.
    Jason.

    Jason, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Jason

    Brian Guest

    "Jason" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:cju55q$g1n$...
    > I have widows XP and I cannot open my notepad application.
    > When I try to do so a message pops up which says
    >
    > "unable to find Notepad.exe" .
    >
    > How can I remedy this problem.
    > Jason.

    make sure that the target is correct in the shortcut...right click >>
    properties >>target should be "%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe" or
    "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe"without quotes
    if that fails...
    download (for xp only) from here (nearly bottom of page)
    http://www.richardthelionhearted.com/?url=merijn.richardthelionhearted.com
    and place into the C:\windows\system32 folder.
    if the file is already there just overwrite it when prompted..

    Brian, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Jason

    Mike Guest

    Umm you might also want to run sfc /scannow and make sure you have your win
    xp cd handy. That command should replace any altered or missing windows
    file's. Hope it works

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 5, 2004
  4. I would run the latest CWShredder, its the most common reason why
    notepad.exe is missing (well I've found that many times)... run it then as
    Mike said run a sfc /scannow with your Windows XP cd handy.

    You can download CWShredder (gets rid of Cool WWW Search variant
    malware/spyware) at

    -L

    Locke Nash Cole, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Thanks Brian.
    I went to C:\windows\system32 and found "notepad.exe.bak" so I
    changed name to
    notepad.exe and hey presto it worked!!

    Jason.

    Jason, Oct 5, 2004