Notebook security cables - advice wanted

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nozza, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    I am looking at getting a notebook computer. I have looked online and
    quite like the look of the Sony Vaio TX range.

    I would like to get a security cable to prevent the notebook from
    being taken from the desk whilst I am away.

    Do Vaio computers have the hole in them for security locks? I used to
    use a Toshiba which had a cable I could lock to it. It was easy to
    use.

    Would the same sort of cable work with a Vaio?

    And can anyone recommend a keyed cable which is good value?

    Thanks

    Noz
    --
    Email (ROT13)

    Nozza, Oct 28, 2005

  2. Nozza

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:57:02 +0100, Nozza wrote:

    >I am looking at getting a notebook computer. I have looked online and
    >quite like the look of the Sony Vaio TX range.

    Without the model number to check the online manuals. You have gone past
    the it looks good bit and checked the Sony site for - it has the
    features I need?

    >I would like to get a security cable to prevent the notebook from
    >being taken from the desk whilst I am away.

    Try Google , Lycos, Yahoo - search for example from Google,

    Results 1 - 10 of about 358,000 English pages for
    Sony Vaio TX security lock

    >Do Vaio computers have the hole in them for security locks? I used to
    >use a Toshiba which had a cable I could lock to it. It was easy to
    >use.
    >
    >Would the same sort of cable work with a Vaio?

    Haven't seen a cable limited to 1 specific device. Maybe that the 1st
    computer industry standard, remove the software, make it simple and hey
    it's a standard.

    A Kensington cable fits a Cisco firewall, a Dell docking station and a
    Dell laptop.

    >And can anyone recommend a keyed cable which is good value?

    They are all pretty much the same, some use keys (Kensington), some
    combination (Maplins) locks, some have 1 lock others have 2
    (Kensington).

    The maplin cable didn't fit the dell laptop.

    >Thanks
    >
    >Noz

    Me

    why?, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:22:52 GMT, why?

    >Without the model number to check the online manuals. You have gone past
    >the it looks good bit and checked the Sony site for - it has the
    >features I need?

    I've had a look for the manual, but there is no mention on the info
    online as to whether there is a locking port.

    So do you know whether Vaios have the slot?

    >Try Google , Lycos, Yahoo - search for example from Google,

    >Results 1 - 10 of about 358,000 English pages for
    >Sony Vaio TX security lock

    Which is why I asked here. I don't fancy looking through 358,000
    sites.

    >>Do Vaio computers have the hole in them for security locks? I used to
    >>use a Toshiba which had a cable I could lock to it. It was easy to
    >>use.
    >>
    >>Would the same sort of cable work with a Vaio?

    >Haven't seen a cable limited to 1 specific device. Maybe that the 1st
    >computer industry standard, remove the software, make it simple and hey
    >it's a standard.

    But if the slot isn't in the notebook....

    >A Kensington cable fits a Cisco firewall, a Dell docking station and a
    >Dell laptop.

    But what about a Vaio?

    >>And can anyone recommend a keyed cable which is good value?

    >They are all pretty much the same, some use keys (Kensington), some
    >combination (Maplins) locks, some have 1 lock others have 2
    >(Kensington).

    So which would you recommend?

    >The maplin cable didn't fit the dell laptop.

    Would it fit the Vaio?

    Thanks for the reply.
    --
    Email (ROT13)

    Nozza, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Nozza

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:26:13 +0100, Nozza wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:22:52 GMT, why?
    >
    >>Without the model number to check the online manuals. You have gone past
    >>the it looks good bit and checked the Sony site for - it has the
    >>features I need?

    >I've had a look for the manual, but there is no mention on the info
    >online as to whether there is a locking port.

    Try comp.sys.laptops

    Tell Sony that, they can do something about it, I can't. Make a point of
    it's an important feature and they don't say it does or not.

    >So do you know whether Vaios have the slot?

    Does it look like it? Find a Sony dealer ask it's not that difficult.

    >>Try Google , Lycos, Yahoo - search for example from Google,

    >>Results 1 - 10 of about 358,000 English pages for
    >>Sony Vaio TX security lock

    >Which is why I asked here. I don't fancy looking through 358,000
    >sites.

    You don't have to, the most relevant hits are usually listed first.

    >>>Do Vaio computers have the hole in them for security locks? I used to
    >>>use a Toshiba which had a cable I could lock to it. It was easy to
    >>>use.
    >>>
    >>>Would the same sort of cable work with a Vaio?

    Read the 1st line below......
    >>Haven't seen a cable limited to 1 specific device. Maybe that the 1st
    >>computer industry standard, remove the software, make it simple and hey
    >>it's a standard.

    >But if the slot isn't in the notebook....

    Doesn't matter, because you wouldn't then maybe buy it or a security
    cable you couldn't use.

    >>A Kensington cable fits a Cisco firewall, a Dell docking station and a
    >>Dell laptop.

    >But what about a Vaio?

    Now you are losing the plot, and repeating and repeating your question
    for some reason.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:09:38 GMT, why?

    >Does it look like it? Find a Sony dealer ask it's not that difficult.

    Yawn. That's why I posted here...

    Noz

    --
    Email (ROT13)

    Nozza, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Nozza

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:01:15 +0100, Nozza wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:09:38 GMT, why?
    >
    >>Does it look like it? Find a Sony dealer ask it's not that difficult.

    >Yawn. That's why I posted here...

    That's your problem, goto the laptop group posted earlier.

    >Noz

    Well you see how many other attempts to try and help you have had.

    Me

    why?, Oct 29, 2005