    movie watching. I'm not much in to games. Do you have
    any recommendations or to stay away from?

    cheers

    Deck, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Deck

    XPD Guest

    "Deck" <> wrote in message news:duqrpt$g65$...
    >I have around $3K to spend on a new notebook. Will
    > be used mainly in programming (Delphi) and occasional
    > movie watching. I'm not much in to games. Do you have
    > any recommendations or to stay away from?

    3k ?
    You could buy 3 laptops and cluster them :D

    XPD, Mar 10, 2006

  3. XPD wrote:
    > "Deck" <> wrote in message news:duqrpt$g65$...
    >> I have around $3K to spend on a new notebook. Will
    >> be used mainly in programming (Delphi) and occasional
    >> movie watching. I'm not much in to games. Do you have
    >> any recommendations or to stay away from?

    > 3k ?
    > You could buy 3 laptops and cluster them :D

    I had a play with a <$1K laptop in the shop the other day.

    My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired, gathering
    dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 10, 2006
  4. Deck

    Ian Boag Guest

    "Shaun \(~misfit~\)" <> wrote:

    >XPD wrote:
    >> "Deck" <> wrote in message news:duqrpt$g65$...
    >>> I have around $3K to spend on a new notebook. Will
    >>> be used mainly in programming (Delphi) and occasional
    >>> movie watching. I'm not much in to games. Do you have
    >>> any recommendations or to stay away from?

    >> 3k ?
    >> You could buy 3 laptops and cluster them :D

    >I had a play with a <$1K laptop in the shop the other day.
    >
    >My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired, gathering
    >dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.
    >--
    >Shaun (~misfit~)

    FWIW my experience was that $120 worth of 512MB RAM stick turned a
    $900 Acer into a VERY different animal .......

    Ian Boag, Mar 10, 2006
  5. Deck

    XPD Guest

    "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    >>My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired,
    >>gathering
    >>dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.
    >>--
    >>Shaun (~misfit~)
    >>

    > FWIW my experience was that $120 worth of 512MB RAM stick turned a
    > $900 Acer into a VERY different animal .......

    Yeah, I purchased an Acer for my partners work last year when they were
    around the $1400 mark and found it was quite an impressive little beast....
    similar model is now @$1000.
    Im almost tempted at times to get a laptop instead of a new desktop.... but
    then Im like "crap... just bought this that and the other which I cant use
    on a laptop"

    XPD, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Deck

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >> "Deck" <> wrote in message news:duqrpt$g65$...
    >>> I have around $3K to spend on a new notebook. Will
    >>> be used mainly in programming (Delphi) and occasional
    >>> movie watching. I'm not much in to games. Do you have
    >>> any recommendations or to stay away from?

    >> 3k ?
    >> You could buy 3 laptops and cluster them :D

    > I had a play with a <$1K laptop in the shop the other day.
    >
    > My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired, gathering
    > dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.

    I've been using one (the DSE ~$900 Acer model - not mine) for the past
    couple of weeks. Nothing wrong with it - excellent 15" display, nice
    enough keyboard, and certainly responsive enough. It does have 768MB of
    ram, I'm sure that 256MB isn't enough for XP, and the extra makes a huge
    difference.

    I think Acer and retailers are doing themselves a disservice by even
    offering a model with only 256MB of memory, and they may as well get
    used to not doing this because next year, entry level PCs and laptops
    will have at least twice that.

    I know, customers would rather spend the extra ~$100 on a slightly
    faster processor instead of more memory, every time.

    -=rjh=-, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Deck

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:
    > > XPD wrote:
    > >> 3k ?
    > >> You could buy 3 laptops and cluster them :D

    > > I had a play with a <$1K laptop in the shop the other day.
    > >
    > > My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired, gathering
    > > dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.

    > I've been using one (the DSE ~$900 Acer model - not mine) for the past
    > couple of weeks. Nothing wrong with it - excellent 15" display, nice
    > enough keyboard, and certainly responsive enough. It does have 768MB of
    > ram, I'm sure that 256MB isn't enough for XP, and the extra makes a huge
    > difference.

    On a laptop it certainly will. My NZ built desktop has 256MB, but it has
    a Celeron 2.8 and SATA drive.

    But you don't expect brand name manufacturers to do anything else except
    cut corners, they've always done it.

    RJ, Mar 10, 2006
  8. Deck

    -=rjh=- Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >> Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:
    >>> I had a play with a <$1K laptop in the shop the other day.
    >>>
    >>> My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired, gathering
    >>> dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.

    >> I've been using one (the DSE ~$900 Acer model - not mine) for the past
    >> couple of weeks. Nothing wrong with it - excellent 15" display, nice
    >> enough keyboard, and certainly responsive enough. It does have 768MB of
    >> ram, I'm sure that 256MB isn't enough for XP, and the extra makes a huge
    >> difference.

    > On a laptop it certainly will. My NZ built desktop has 256MB, but it has
    > a Celeron 2.8 and SATA drive.

    <beats head repeatedly on desktop>

    -=rjh=-, Mar 10, 2006
  9. Ian Boag wrote:
    > "Shaun \(~misfit~\)" <> wrote:
    >>XPD wrote:

    >>>3k ?
    >>>You could buy 3 laptops and cluster them :D

    >>I had a play with a <$1K laptop in the shop the other day.
    >>
    >>My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired, gathering
    >>dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.
    >>--
    >>Shaun (~misfit~)
    >>

    > FWIW my experience was that $120 worth of 512MB RAM stick turned a
    > $900 Acer into a VERY different animal .......

    Hear hear, I brought the Compaq Presario V2000 (AMD Sempron)that came
    standard with 256 mb mem for about $1,200, and I was a tad
    disapointed....UNTIL, I slapped in some fast 521mb memory and cut back
    sharing the mem for graphics down to 32mb, now it sings along and I
    haven't looked back.

    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, Mar 11, 2006
  10. Deck

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Deck" <> wrote in news:duqrpt$g65$:

    > Do you have
    > any recommendations or to stay away from?

    Toshiba with a worldwide 3 yr warranty is great from personal experience.
    If you can take apart a laptop yourself, then just get something with
    either long battery life or performance for games. They are mutually
    exclusive.
    Programming code seems to me like a low power type of task as far as
    battery drain goes so maybe the DSE cheap no OS laptop could save you heaps
    of money? I think it runs on a centrino.

    $2000.00 gets you an really nice screen on a laptop now, a co-worker bought
    an Acer, and I thought uh-oh, but then I saw it and it has a really good
    feature set. Cheap is cheap, don't get cheap. Medium for your budget
    should be just like the 3 bears...
    The most important thing with a laptop is screen and then keyboard; you
    MUST touch and see the product before you buy if you are serious about
    being happy as a user.
    My sister-in-law has an IBM from yrs ago, something like a P100 with 98se,
    32 M ram, it still goes... They have only had to re-ghost it once from the
    recovery partition I setup for them in 4 ys.
    The hardware is super solid, I hope IBM still makes them like that...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 11, 2006
  11. Deck

    Dave Taylor Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote in news::

    > It does have 768MB of
    >>> ram, I'm sure that 256MB isn't enough for XP, and the extra makes a
    >>> huge difference.

    >> On a laptop it certainly will. My NZ built desktop has 256MB, but it
    >> has a Celeron 2.8 and SATA drive.

    > <beats head repeatedly on desktop>

    Can you say profit margin...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 11, 2006
  12. Ian Boag wrote:
    > "Shaun \(~misfit~\)" <> wrote:
    >
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>>
    >>> 3k ?
    >>> You could buy 3 laptops and cluster them :D

    >> I had a play with a <$1K laptop in the shop the other day.
    >>
    >> My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired,
    >> gathering dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.
    >> --
    >> Shaun (~misfit~)
    >>

    > FWIW my experience was that $120 worth of 512MB RAM stick turned a
    > $900 Acer into a VERY different animal .......

    Yep, that would be the first thing I would do if I bought a budget lappy.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 11, 2006
  13. XPD wrote:
    > "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    >>> My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired,
    >>> gathering
    >>> dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.
    >>> --
    >>> Shaun (~misfit~)
    >>>

    >> FWIW my experience was that $120 worth of 512MB RAM stick turned a
    >> $900 Acer into a VERY different animal .......
    >>

    > Yeah, I purchased an Acer for my partners work last year when they
    > were around the $1400 mark and found it was quite an impressive
    > little beast.... similar model is now @$1000.
    > Im almost tempted at times to get a laptop instead of a new
    > desktop.... but then Im like "crap... just bought this that and the
    > other which I cant use on a laptop"

    'Xactly. That's how I justify just spending (booking up) over half the price
    of a budget lappy on a 19" flat panel. As I got to the counter with it I
    thought "Hey. I'm not that far off the price of a Lappy here". Then I
    thought about my graphics card, DVD writer, 2GB DDR RAM, TV tuner card etc.
    that would be no use in a Lappy. Plus I don't go many places so I wouldn't
    be buying it for the sake of mobility, probably end up with a mouse and
    full-sized keyboard plugged in.... So I just bought the panel. I'm happy.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 11, 2006
  14. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>> 3k ?
    >>> You could buy 3 laptops and cluster them :D

    >> I had a play with a <$1K laptop in the shop the other day.
    >>
    >> My Celeron 500 desktop that's sitting in the corner, semi-retired,
    >> gathering dust is about as responsive as those budget jobs.

    > I've been using one (the DSE ~$900 Acer model - not mine) for the past
    > couple of weeks. Nothing wrong with it - excellent 15" display, nice
    > enough keyboard, and certainly responsive enough. It does have 768MB
    > of ram, I'm sure that 256MB isn't enough for XP, and the extra makes
    > a huge difference.
    >
    > I think Acer and retailers are doing themselves a disservice by even
    > offering a model with only 256MB of memory, and they may as well get
    > used to not doing this because next year, entry level PCs and laptops
    > will have at least twice that.
    >
    > I know, customers would rather spend the extra ~$100 on a slightly
    > faster processor instead of more memory, every time.

    I've spent a bit of time in the local DSE branch recently. In that time I've
    seen them sell two budget laptops and in both cases they sold (and fitted
    free while the customer waited) an extra 512M RAM with it. Good move DSE.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 11, 2006