Notebook Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by santosh kumar, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I am in planning to buy a laptop. My application are primarily those of

    financial engineering.

    I am stuck between two options ... used laptops on ebay and new
    laptops. The difference between the used and new laptops is about
    200-250 US$.

    Now to the question. The option in front of me are:

    1) Used laptops

    3-3.8 Ghz (Intel Pentium 4 processor or AMD Athlon), 1 GB RAM (333 Mhz
    to 533 Mhz), 60-80 GB HDD

    2) New laptops

    1.2 - 2 Ghz (Intel Centrino Duo and AMD Turion), 1GB RAM (533 Mhz),
    60-80 GB HDD

    Would appreciate any thumb rules that I need to follow. I am basically
    looking for speed, clarity and portability. I am OK with average to
    good sound i.e not a big gaming or movie freak with the laptop.

    Please advise.

    Thanks,

    santosh kumar, Oct 19, 2006

  2. santosh kumar

    bmoag Guest

    What are your priorities in terms of weight and portability?
    Battery usage?
    Will you have multiple programs open at the same time?
    Built in wi-fi?
    DVD/CD writing?
    All things being equal it is more productive to have more RAM in a notebook
    than a slightly faster processor.
    This is particularly true if your notebook shares RAM with the video system,
    as most lower priced units do.

    bmoag, Oct 19, 2006