Notebook or PC Card problem?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Andreas Hagen, Apr 14, 2007.

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I have a problem with creating a wireless infrastructure network.

    I have a Dynalink (using Askey chipset) RTA1025W wireless router.

    I have a Compaq Presario R3000 notebook with an ASUS WL-107 802.11b PC Card
    Running Windows XP

    I have a Dell Inspiron 510m notebook with on board-wireless networking.
    Running Windows XP

    The problem is connecting the Compaq which I think mentions a DNS error
    before showing the standard IE error page.

    The Dell connects no problem via 802.11g and I ensure I shutdown the Dell
    before connecting the Compaq because I think Wireless routers can only
    connect one computer at a time?

    So it is my belief the problem lies with the card or the compaq. Please
    help with your ideas.

    Thanks in advance,
    Andreas
    Andreas Hagen, Apr 14, 2007

  2. Hi
    Network means many computers (not one at the time). Wireless Routers and
    Access Points, are Network devices. I.e they can work with many computers
    (in theory 256 of them). So, no need the switch Off one computer while the
    other is working.
    Check the Wireless Router's Wireless settings, may be it configured to work
    at 802.11g only, and thus can not connect to the 802.11b.
    If so change the settings to accommodate both.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 14, 2007