Notebook manufacturer with the best LCD screen

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Phil, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Anyone know which manufacturer makes the best LCD screens for a notebook,
    with the widest viewing angles, and good shading gradients?
    I have seen Dell ones, which they are called Ultrasharp, but the shading
    gradients aren't good (I think they use samsung LCDs), and it doesn't come
    anywhere close to the quality of my desktop LCD.

    Sony appear to use a system for their LCDs 'Clear Bright', which is supposed
    to display very good image quality, anyone have one of the new sony
    notebooks with these types of screen .

    I was looking at sonys new k series
    http://www.sony.co.nz/product_detail.asp?sku=PCGK86P , although it say it is
    single lamp lcd, while other sonys are dual lamp lcd, not sure if that makes
    much difference. The issues with this particular notebook are that it has a
    pentium 4 processor instead of a centrino, so only has a 1-1.5 hour battery
    life, and it also appears to be very thick. As I will be mainly using it on
    my desk anyway, I don't imagine this to be too much of an issue. I could
    also pay an additional $500 for the centrino version which is also a thinner
    laptop, but don't know if it is worth it, and the centrino wouldn't be as
    fast a processor. The sony ones do look very nicely designed

    Phil, Oct 27, 2004

  2. In article <1098845343.609450@ftpsrv1>,
    "Phil" <phil****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

    >Anyone know which manufacturer makes the best LCD screens for a notebook,
    >with the widest viewing angles, and good shading gradients?

    Apple were the early pioneers in this regard.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 28, 2004