    one to my desktop?

    It would really be helpful in trying to recover or transfer data.

    Thanks
    Micah Torrance, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Micah Torrance

    chris Guest

    Try this site, the will send anywhere, thery are in Calgary Alberta

    http://www.vfxweb.com/index.asp?action=itemv&ia=details&ItemId=6045

    Chris

    chris, Aug 26, 2004

  3. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Absolutely, these are readily available. Sources include E-Bay and
    > www.compgeeks.com and many other places. Under $10 (sometimes under
    > $5), they allow a 2.5" IDE drive to be connected to a standard 40-pin
    > (or 80-pin) cable and standard desktop IDE drive power connector.

    Just be careful to either get one that is keyed, or that is easily marked as
    to what is pin 1. Since the ribbon cable for laptop hard drive transfers
    both data *and* power, the drive will be fried if you reverse it!
    Patrick Michael, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Thanks, Barry. It was $3.95 from compgeeks.

    Micah Torrance, Aug 27, 2004
  5. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Actually, I have connected them wrong more times than I'd care to admit,
    > and while blowing something would seem possible (your point that power
    > is on the connector is correct), in fact I've never done it. The drive
    > won't spin up or work, however.

    It does on some drives, at least..My friend fried an accountant's hard drive
    doing just that! I guess it's possible that I simply misunderstood him
    though.
    Patrick Michael, Aug 27, 2004
  6. On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:39:52 GMT, BertS <> wrote:

    >Barry Watzman wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, I have connected them wrong more times than I'd care to admit,
    >> and while blowing something would seem possible (your point that power
    >> is on the connector is correct), in fact I've never done it. The drive
    >> won't spin up or work, however.
    >>

    >> Patrick Michael wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just be careful to either get one that is keyed, or that is easily
    >>> marked as
    >>> to what is pin 1. Since the ribbon cable for laptop hard drive transfers
    >>> both data *and* power, the drive will be fried if you reverse it!
    >>>

    >I think but am not sure that the wiring of the connector is such that if you
    >reverse it the power lines go to unconnected pins.

    That was my guess also. I'm surprised that someone hasn't verified it.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 29, 2004