Notebook Bags

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I recently purchased a new notebook, and it came bundled with what was
    advertised as a leather bag. However the bag doesn't fit the notebook, so I
    can't get it into the bag without a lot of force, and still it doesn't fit
    all the way into the bag. Overtime this will cause wear on the edges of
    notebook, as it has a kind of painted surface on it.
    The retailer has told me that it is the correct bag for the computer, and
    they can't do much more for me, apart from providing a replacement of the
    same bag. They have done this, and the new one doesn't fit, so they are
    ordering another one in, and they ae going to test it in the factory that it
    fits my sized computer. They are replacing it ith the same brand and model
    of bag. They have told me that the bag doesn't fit because the leather has
    to have time to stretch, which is believable, however to stretch the bag, it
    has to be usable in the first place.
    I have also asked the retailer if the bag was real genuine leather, and
    they said that it probably wasn't real, but were waiting to get the specs
    from their manufacturer. To me, it doesn't look like it is genuine leather
    as it doesn't have that feel or smell.

    Just wondering, if a company advertises a bag with a notebook, and
    advertises it to be leather, doesn't it have to fit the notebook properly ,
    and be made from genuine leather, and not from a composite product?

    TIA for any feedback.

    Rob, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Rob

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:55:17 +1300, "Rob" <>
    provided this moment of wisdom:

    ><snip>
    >Just wondering, if a company advertises a bag with a notebook, and
    >advertises it to be leather, doesn't it have to fit the notebook properly ,
    >and be made from genuine leather, and not from a composite product?
    >
    >TIA for any feedback.

    The CGA (or another Act, can't remember) states that a product "must
    be suitable for purpose intended". And, if they advertise it as
    genuine leather - then it must be genuine leather. It sounds like you
    have at least 2 valid reasons to demand your money back.

    Also, what brand and what retailer are they?

    /Begin Sig
    It has been brought to my attention that Redmasturbator
    is stalking me & responding to every word I say. Could
    someone tell the idiot that he is KF'ed and I cant see
    his rantings. Keep dancing my little puppet.
    /End Sig

    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 10, 2004

  3. In article <>, The newsgroup - duh! wrote:
    >On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:55:17 +1300, "Rob" <>
    >provided this moment of wisdom:

    *SNIP*
    >be suitable for purpose intended". And, if they advertise it as
    >genuine leather - then it must be genuine leather.

    *SNIP*

    If, however, it just says "leather", a reasonable immiation thereof is
    permissible.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, The newsgroup -
    > duh! wrote:
    >>On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:55:17 +1300, "Rob" <>
    >>provided this moment of wisdom:

    > *SNIP*
    >>be suitable for purpose intended". And, if they advertise it as
    >>genuine leather - then it must be genuine leather.

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > If, however, it just says "leather", a reasonable immiation thereof is
    > permissible.
    >
    > --
    > Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    > "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    > I came, I saw, I stuck around"
    >
    > My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    It does just say leather, however I have just come across this article from
    the commerce commisson, which says that if it states that is is leather,
    then it should be genuine.

    http://www.comcom.govt.nz/publications/display_mr.cfm?mr_id=1377

    Rob, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Ryan_Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:55:17 +1300, "Rob" <>
    > provided this moment of wisdom:
    >

    >><snip>
    >>Just wondering, if a company advertises a bag with a notebook, and
    >>advertises it to be leather, doesn't it have to fit the notebook properly
    >>,
    >>and be made from genuine leather, and not from a composite product?
    >>
    >>TIA for any feedback.
    >>

    > The CGA (or another Act, can't remember) states that a product "must
    > be suitable for purpose intended". And, if they advertise it as
    > genuine leather - then it must be genuine leather. It sounds like you
    > have at least 2 valid reasons to demand your money back.
    >
    > Also, what brand and what retailer are they?

    > /Begin Sig
    > It has been brought to my attention that Redmasturbator
    > is stalking me & responding to every word I say. Could
    > someone tell the idiot that he is KF'ed and I cant see
    > his rantings. Keep dancing my little puppet.
    > /End Sig

    The have offered me my money back, but I spent a long time looking around at
    notebooks, and I don't have an alternative I would choose if I was to get my
    money back on it. Also I have spent much time loading my software and files,
    and hundreds of windows updates, onto this notebook, which will all be
    wasted if it was returned.
    I won't name the retailer at this stage, as they probably check newsgroups
    regually using a keyword search, which many companies now do.
    Essentially they do have a contract with the retailer to provide me with a
    leather bag, which i am going to hold them to, even if they have to go to
    another manufacturer to buy it from.

    Rob, Oct 10, 2004
  6. Rob

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > I recently purchased a new notebook, and it came bundled with what was
    > advertised as a leather bag. However the bag doesn't fit the notebook, so I
    > can't get it into the bag without a lot of force, and still it doesn't fit
    > all the way into the bag. Overtime this will cause wear on the edges of
    > notebook, as it has a kind of painted surface on it.
    > The retailer has told me that it is the correct bag for the computer, and
    > they can't do much more for me, apart from providing a replacement of the
    > same bag. They have done this, and the new one doesn't fit, so they are
    > ordering another one in, and they ae going to test it in the factory that it
    > fits my sized computer. They are replacing it ith the same brand and model
    > of bag. They have told me that the bag doesn't fit because the leather has
    > to have time to stretch, which is believable, however to stretch the bag, it
    > has to be usable in the first place.
    > I have also asked the retailer if the bag was real genuine leather, and
    > they said that it probably wasn't real, but were waiting to get the specs
    > from their manufacturer. To me, it doesn't look like it is genuine leather
    > as it doesn't have that feel or smell.
    >
    > Just wondering, if a company advertises a bag with a notebook, and
    > advertises it to be leather, doesn't it have to fit the notebook properly ,
    > and be made from genuine leather, and not from a composite product?
    >
    > TIA for any feedback.

    I'd be more concerned at the fact that it is such a tight fit, rather
    than if it's leather or not. My Dell came with a bag much larger than
    the notebook as it has shock absorbing foam that the notebook sits in.
    It is a snug fit when you slide the notebook into the bag but there is
    about 50 mm of padding all the way round.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 10, 2004
  7. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <user^^^@example.net> wrote in message
    > Rob wrote:
    > > I recently purchased a new notebook, and it came bundled with what was
    > > advertised as a leather bag. However the bag doesn't fit the notebook,

    so I
    > > can't get it into the bag without a lot of force, and still it doesn't

    fit
    > > all the way into the bag. Overtime this will cause wear on the edges of
    > > notebook, as it has a kind of painted surface on it.
    > > The retailer has told me that it is the correct bag for the computer,

    and
    > > they can't do much more for me, apart from providing a replacement of

    the
    > > same bag. They have done this, and the new one doesn't fit, so they are
    > > ordering another one in, and they ae going to test it in the factory

    that it
    > > fits my sized computer. They are replacing it ith the same brand and

    model
    > > of bag. They have told me that the bag doesn't fit because the leather

    has
    > > to have time to stretch, which is believable, however to stretch the

    bag, it
    > > has to be usable in the first place.
    > > I have also asked the retailer if the bag was real genuine leather, and
    > > they said that it probably wasn't real, but were waiting to get the

    specs
    > > from their manufacturer. To me, it doesn't look like it is genuine

    leather
    > > as it doesn't have that feel or smell.
    > >
    > > Just wondering, if a company advertises a bag with a notebook, and
    > > advertises it to be leather, doesn't it have to fit the notebook

    properly ,
    > > and be made from genuine leather, and not from a composite product?
    > >
    > > TIA for any feedback.
    > >

    > I'd be more concerned at the fact that it is such a tight fit, rather
    > than if it's leather or not. My Dell came with a bag much larger than
    > the notebook as it has shock absorbing foam that the notebook sits in.
    > It is a snug fit when you slide the notebook into the bag but there is
    > about 50 mm of padding all the way round.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    Hi Chris,

    Funny you should say that, as that was the company that I purchased it from,
    and my bag doesn't fit the notebook. It is the 8600 model, so it is quite a
    big one.

    Rob, Oct 10, 2004
  8. Rob

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:05:25 +1300, "Rob"
    <robprebble!remove!@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

    >"Chris Mayhew" <user^^^@example.net> wrote in message
    >> Rob wrote:
    >> > I recently purchased a new notebook, and it came bundled with what was
    >> > advertised as a leather bag. However the bag doesn't fit the notebook,

    >so I
    >> > can't get it into the bag without a lot of force, and still it doesn't

    >fit
    >> > all the way into the bag. Overtime this will cause wear on the edges of
    >> > notebook, as it has a kind of painted surface on it.
    >> > The retailer has told me that it is the correct bag for the computer,

    >and
    >> > they can't do much more for me, apart from providing a replacement of

    >the
    >> > same bag. They have done this, and the new one doesn't fit, so they are
    >> > ordering another one in, and they ae going to test it in the factory

    >that it
    >> > fits my sized computer. They are replacing it ith the same brand and

    >model
    >> > of bag. They have told me that the bag doesn't fit because the leather

    >has
    >> > to have time to stretch, which is believable, however to stretch the

    >bag, it
    >> > has to be usable in the first place.
    >> > I have also asked the retailer if the bag was real genuine leather, and
    >> > they said that it probably wasn't real, but were waiting to get the

    >specs
    >> > from their manufacturer. To me, it doesn't look like it is genuine

    >leather
    >> > as it doesn't have that feel or smell.
    >> >
    >> > Just wondering, if a company advertises a bag with a notebook, and
    >> > advertises it to be leather, doesn't it have to fit the notebook

    >properly ,
    >> > and be made from genuine leather, and not from a composite product?
    >> >
    >> > TIA for any feedback.
    >> >

    >> I'd be more concerned at the fact that it is such a tight fit, rather
    >> than if it's leather or not. My Dell came with a bag much larger than
    >> the notebook as it has shock absorbing foam that the notebook sits in.
    >> It is a snug fit when you slide the notebook into the bag but there is
    >> about 50 mm of padding all the way round.
    >>
    >> --

    >News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000

    >Newsgroups
    >> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    >Hi Chris,
    >
    >Funny you should say that, as that was the company that I purchased it from,
    >and my bag doesn't fit the notebook. It is the 8600 model, so it is quite a
    >big one.

    I have the Dell nylon backpack for my 8600. not a snug fit but its
    secure enough. My problem is that the zip gets caught regularly.

    Italian Jobs, Oct 10, 2004
  9. Rob

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > The have offered me my money back, but I spent a long time looking
    > around at notebooks, and I don't have an alternative I would choose
    > if I was to get my money back on it. Also I have spent much time
    > this notebook, which will all be wasted if it was returned.
    > I won't name the retailer at this stage, as they probably check
    > newsgroups regually using a keyword search, which many companies now
    > do.
    > Essentially they do have a contract with the retailer to provide me
    > with a leather bag, which i am going to hold them to, even if they
    > have to go to another manufacturer to buy it from.

    Wise man.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2004
  10. Rob

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Italian Jobs wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:05:25 +1300, "Rob"
    > <robprebble!remove!@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
    >

    >>"Chris Mayhew" <user^^^@example.net> wrote in message

    >>so I

    >>fit

    >>and

    >>the

    >>that it

    >>model

    >>has

    >>bag, it

    >>specs

    >>leather

    >>properly ,

    >>>I'd be more concerned at the fact that it is such a tight fit, rather
    >>>than if it's leather or not. My Dell came with a bag much larger than
    >>>the notebook as it has shock absorbing foam that the notebook sits in.
    >>> It is a snug fit when you slide the notebook into the bag but there is
    >>>about 50 mm of padding all the way round.
    >>>
    >>>--

    >>News==----
    >>
    >>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000

    >>Newsgroups
    >>
    >>>---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    >>Hi Chris,
    >>
    >>Funny you should say that, as that was the company that I purchased it from,
    >>and my bag doesn't fit the notebook. It is the 8600 model, so it is quite a
    >>big one.
    >>

    > I have the Dell nylon backpack for my 8600. not a snug fit but its
    > secure enough. My problem is that the zip gets caught regularly.

    MInes a much smaller 600m and the bag would one of Dell's cheap standard
    models that they give away but I've not had any problems with the zip.
    Mine just has a shoulder strap, I guess with a 8600, you would need a
    backpack :)

    To the OP I'd say the wheels have just come off in the warehouse, maybe
    some stock has had the wrong part number attached to it and this is
    compounding the problem ? Why not opt for a nylon bag ?, as long as it
    fit's of course.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 10, 2004
  11. Rob

    geoffm Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:55:18 +1300, Italian Jobs <> wrote:

    >I have the Dell nylon backpack for my 8600. not a snug fit but its
    >secure enough. My problem is that the zip gets caught regularly.

    Glad to see I am not the only one having probs with the zip on the
    backpack bag. THe bag is good, but that zip...
    Geoff

    geoffm, Oct 10, 2004
  12. Rob

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:53:56 +1300, Rob wrote:

    > I won't name the retailer at this stage, as they probably check newsgroups
    > regually using a keyword search, which many companies now do.

    Excellent reason for nameing them.

    Bret, Oct 10, 2004
  13. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > Italian Jobs wrote:
    > > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:05:25 +1300, "Rob"
    > > <robprebble!remove!@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
    > >

    > >>"Chris Mayhew" <user^^^@example.net> wrote in message

    > >>so I

    > >>fit

    of

    > >>and

    > >>the

    are

    > >>that it

    > >>model

    > >>has

    > >>bag, it

    and

    > >>specs

    > >>leather

    > >>properly ,

    is

    > >>News==----

    >100,000
    > >>
    > >>Newsgroups

    > >>Hi Chris,
    > >>
    > >>Funny you should say that, as that was the company that I purchased it

    from,
    > >>and my bag doesn't fit the notebook. It is the 8600 model, so it is

    quite a
    > >>big one.
    > >>

    > > I have the Dell nylon backpack for my 8600. not a snug fit but its
    > > secure enough. My problem is that the zip gets caught regularly.
    > >

    > MInes a much smaller 600m and the bag would one of Dell's cheap standard
    > models that they give away but I've not had any problems with the zip.
    > Mine just has a shoulder strap, I guess with a 8600, you would need a
    > backpack :)
    >
    > To the OP I'd say the wheels have just come off in the warehouse, maybe
    > some stock has had the wrong part number attached to it and this is
    > compounding the problem ? Why not opt for a nylon bag ?, as long as it
    > fit's of course.

    Actually they say they are sending me both a Nylon and leather bag when they
    send the next ones out. There is a difference in price of about $70 (as the
    nylon bag is about half the price)which they are not willing to allow me to
    use as a credit towards another product.
    Therefore if the leather bag still doesn't fit, then they have still got a
    problem .Unfortunately I have found them to be a little bit backward in
    their resolutions. I purchased the computer about a month ago now, and it
    took 1 week to get someone to get back to me about it after I first reported
    them of the problem, as they have to phone you back. Then it took another
    week to be delivered the replacement bag, then another week to get through
    to someone to resolve the problem, and it will probably be another week or
    so until they deliver the new bag.

    Rob, Oct 11, 2004
  14. Rob

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Italian Jobs wrote:

    > of

    > are

    > and

    > is

    >>100,000

    > from,

    > quite a

    >>>I have the Dell nylon backpack for my 8600. not a snug fit but its
    >>>secure enough. My problem is that the zip gets caught regularly.
    >>>

    >>MInes a much smaller 600m and the bag would one of Dell's cheap standard
    >>models that they give away but I've not had any problems with the zip.
    >>Mine just has a shoulder strap, I guess with a 8600, you would need a
    >>backpack :)
    >>
    >>To the OP I'd say the wheels have just come off in the warehouse, maybe
    >>some stock has had the wrong part number attached to it and this is
    >>compounding the problem ? Why not opt for a nylon bag ?, as long as it
    >>fit's of course.

    > Actually they say they are sending me both a Nylon and leather bag when they
    > send the next ones out. There is a difference in price of about $70 (as the
    > nylon bag is about half the price)which they are not willing to allow me to
    > use as a credit towards another product.
    > Therefore if the leather bag still doesn't fit, then they have still got a
    > problem .Unfortunately I have found them to be a little bit backward in
    > their resolutions. I purchased the computer about a month ago now, and it
    > took 1 week to get someone to get back to me about it after I first reported
    > them of the problem, as they have to phone you back. Then it took another
    > week to be delivered the replacement bag, then another week to get through
    > to someone to resolve the problem, and it will probably be another week or
    > so until they deliver the new bag.

    Thats sounds pretty bad. Have you been to the Dell forums ? Some one
    there might have a leather bag for that model that could advise you the
    actual dimensions. I've never had to resolve any after sales issues
    with them myself so I can't comment on that. It still seems to me that
    there not sending you the right bag, i.e. the part numbers on the bags
    are wrong, so they keep sending you the wrong bag. You will need to
    find the correct forum for your model notebook from the support page IIRC

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 11, 2004
  15. Rob

    > Rob wrote:
    > > "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message

    was

    notebook,

    doesn't

    > > of

    computer,

    of

    > > are

    leather

    > > and

    than

    in.

    > > is

    > >>100,000

    > > from,

    > > quite a

    > >>MInes a much smaller 600m and the bag would one of Dell's cheap standard
    > >>models that they give away but I've not had any problems with the zip.
    > >>Mine just has a shoulder strap, I guess with a 8600, you would need a
    > >>backpack :)
    > >>
    > >>To the OP I'd say the wheels have just come off in the warehouse, maybe
    > >>some stock has had the wrong part number attached to it and this is
    > >>compounding the problem ? Why not opt for a nylon bag ?, as long as it
    > >>fit's of course.

    > > Actually they say they are sending me both a Nylon and leather bag when

    they
    > > send the next ones out. There is a difference in price of about $70 (as

    the
    > > nylon bag is about half the price)which they are not willing to allow me

    > > use as a credit towards another product.
    > > Therefore if the leather bag still doesn't fit, then they have still got

    > > problem .Unfortunately I have found them to be a little bit backward in
    > > their resolutions. I purchased the computer about a month ago now, and

    it
    > > took 1 week to get someone to get back to me about it after I first

    reported
    > > them of the problem, as they have to phone you back. Then it took

    another
    > > week to be delivered the replacement bag, then another week to get

    through
    > > to someone to resolve the problem, and it will probably be another week

    or
    > > so until they deliver the new bag.
    > >

    > Thats sounds pretty bad. Have you been to the Dell forums ? Some one
    > there might have a leather bag for that model that could advise you the
    > actual dimensions. I've never had to resolve any after sales issues
    > with them myself so I can't comment on that. It still seems to me that
    > there not sending you the right bag, i.e. the part numbers on the bags
    > are wrong, so they keep sending you the wrong bag. You will need to
    > find the correct forum for your model notebook from the support page IIRC
    >

    > --

    Thanks. Dell have actually told me that they only make one kind of leather
    case, as it has removable padding in it to allow for the widescreen
    inspirons. I have also found posts in regular notebook forums with people
    with exactly the same problem, so i unfortionately think it is the correct
    bag, unless the Dell staff don't know their products properly. I will look
    in the dell forums too to see if anyone else haas reported teh problem.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    Rob, Oct 12, 2004