NOTE: Storage on small folders, large folders, or one folder

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Luke O'Malley <> wrote:

    |>I posted an inquiry about storing my files in a bunch of small
    |>folders, some large folders, or just one folder. A number of people
    |>pointed out that the purpose and type of files could be the factor.
    |>Let me share what I have come up with:
    |>
    |>save files in folders of 700MB.
    |>
    |>This allows you to put each folder on a single CD . . . and, six
    |>folders on a DVD.
    |>
    |>I hope this helps someone who was puzzled as I was.

    Long term storage: I just read IBM say burn'd CD's will last 2 years 5
    if in a cold dry, light free space.

    It's now cheap enough to back up your CD's and keepers to a hard drive
    and store in a closet.

    Of course run WhereIsIt on the drive first then just catalog the HD's
    http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

    --
    http://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/archive/topic/dvd//
    , Jun 23, 2006

  2. Luke O'Malley wrote:

    > I posted an inquiry about storing my files in a bunch of small
    > folders, some large folders, or just one folder. A number of people
    > pointed out that the purpose and type of files could be the factor.
    > Let me share what I have come up with:
    >
    > save files in folders of 700MB.

    You cannot limit a folder to 700MB, except you make (a lot of) partitions
    that size. With windows, you will run out of drive letters quite soon :)

    > This allows you to put each folder on a single CD . . . and, six
    > folders on a DVD.

    Now where to put that big VOB file or the linux dvd image downloading via
    bittorrent?

    There is no "one fits all" solution.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 24, 2006