Notable granularity when using uji FinePix S5100

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by a, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. a

    a Guest

    a, Apr 7, 2005

  2. a

    paul Guest

    paul, Apr 7, 2005

  3. a

    Frederick Guest

    a wrote:
    > See my test photos at
    >
    > http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/billthefirst/fuji_s5100
    >
    > amd tell me if you think that's normal or not.
    >
    > THX,
    > Bill

    Looks normal to me - you get more noise at higher ISO. So, if you want
    low noise, use the camera at low ISO - it has a fast lens, so you can
    probably avoid using high ISO in many situations.

    What isn't so great is the vignetting in those images. Find out if it's
    from incomplete flash coverage (something that perhaps you could live
    with), the lens (something that if it occured at only at specific - wide
    angle settings - then perhaps you could live with that too), or a filter
    or lens hood. If it wasn't flash/lens hood/filter, or limited to very
    wide angle shots only, then it would annoy the hell out of me - by the
    time you crop the corners out you are only getting a good 2mp image from
    a 4mp camera.
    Frederick, Apr 7, 2005
  4. a

    Roy Guest

    "a" <> wrote in message
    > See my test photos at
    >
    > http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/billthefirst/fuji_s5100
    >
    > amd tell me if you think that's normal or not.
    >
    > THX,
    > Bill

    My wife has a Fuji S5500 (same camera different name), and I am quite
    impressed with the results. It can easily produce good quality A4 prints
    using the 4Mp Jpeg.

    This image (1167) is only 800 x 600 pixels, and looks Ok, apart from a few
    Jpeg artifacts, (above the dolls eye). I can not see any signs of
    granularity, even when it is zoomed on screen to be about 15 inches wide.
    The Artifacts could be the result of the way this image was processed before
    posting.

    If you are stating that the 4Mp - Large images are grainy / noisy, at 100 or
    200 ISO, could you post one or two. Or rather could you post a cropped 800
    x 600 pixel section of one or two without "Saving for Web" , so that we can
    see. The dolls head would be a good part to use, because the plastic surface
    should be smooth. Please also ensure that only the very last "Save" before
    posting uses compression.

    If the existing ones look grainy on your screen, could there be some sort of
    problem there. I know that if I try to display a Jpeg greater than 1024 x
    760 on my TV screen, I get a sort of Clumping effect which looks very like
    film grain.

    There is some vignetting, but nothing that a little post processing could
    not cure. It could easily be got rid of, by shooting in Raw and using the
    Adobe Raw plug in to convert to Tiff or Psd. The only problem is that the
    Raw files from this camera are 11Mb.

    Roy G
    Roy, Apr 8, 2005
  5. Bruce Coryell, Apr 8, 2005
  6. a

    Roy Guest

    "Bruce Coryell" <> wrote in message
    > I'm quite happy with my S5100 - not a D70, but I knew that going in.
    >
    > paul wrote:
    >
    >> This link:
    >> http://pbase.com/billthefirst/fuji_s5100
    >>
    >> It's normal to get more noise when increasing ISO. I didn't have patience
    >> to download & compare all those, what looks best?
    >>

    >> a wrote:
    >>
    >>> See my test photos at
    >>>
    >>> http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/billthefirst/fuji_s5100
    >>>
    >>> amd tell me if you think that's normal or not.
    >>>
    >>> THX,
    >>> Bill

    Hi Bruce.

    As I said in my reply to the OP, my wife has a S5500, which is a very useful
    little camera, giving good results.

    It was a great deal cheaper than my D70, which is also a bit too bulky and
    heavy for her, and my D70 does not have a 10x Zoom (yet).

    Roy G
    Roy, Apr 8, 2005
  7. a

    paul Guest

    Roy wrote:

    > It was a great deal cheaper than my D70, which is also a bit too bulky and
    > heavy for her, and my D70 does not have a 10x Zoom (yet).

    I have 33x zoom on my D70 <grin> 12mm-400mm (18-600 in 35mm eq.) Not all
    in one lens though, 7x is the most in one lens (28-200).
    paul, Apr 8, 2005
  8. a

    Roy Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    > Roy wrote:
    >>
    >> It was a great deal cheaper than my D70, which is also a bit too bulky
    >> and heavy for her, and my D70 does not have a 10x Zoom (yet).

    > I have 33x zoom on my D70 <grin> 12mm-400mm (18-600 in 35mm eq.) Not all
    > in one lens though, 7x is the most in one lens (28-200).

    Ok, Ok.

    I can't beat you on that one, I still only have the 17-70 DX. I can't make
    up my mind which longer Zoom to go for.

    I suppose I could use my AI lenses - 105 f2.5 and 200 f4 meantime, but the
    no metering seems like a pain in the Arse.

    How lazy can we get?.

    My first real camera, was a Periflex - a little reflex telescope sort of
    thing allowed you to focus the centre of the image through the taking lens,
    and no metering at all. My next camera, a real SLR still had no metering,
    and did not even have a flash shoe.

    I could really lower the whole tone of my nice new camera by putting on my
    very elderly Tamron 70 -210, complete with its chipped front element and
    loose Zoom ring.

    Roy G
    Roy, Apr 8, 2005