Notable granularity when taking indoor photos using Fuji FinePix S5100

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hi all,

    I have Fuji FinePix S5100.

    I have taken lots of indoor photos.

    I have tried all sort of ISO levels, compression, white balance,
    shooting modes and still had the problem.

    Only lately I have found a workaround to the problem.

    It appears that if I use very low ISO (64) & high compression (1 MP) I
    can get sharp indoor photos.

    Yet the photos are 1600x1200 (1.8 MP) and I would expect more from 4 MP
    camera.

    I wonder - is it a model problem or is it a defect in my camera?

    Any help from other Fuji users?

    Thanks in advance,
    Bill.
    Bill, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Bill

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 2 Apr 2005 03:51:04 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Bill"
    <> wrote:

    >It appears that if I use very low ISO (64) & high compression (1 MP) I
    >can get sharp indoor photos.

    Seems to me you may be confusing compression with resolution above.
    Resolution is the number of pixels in an image. Compression relates to how
    the information is stored and the resulting file size.

    >Yet the photos are 1600x1200 (1.8 MP) and I would expect more from 4 MP
    >camera.
    >
    >I wonder - is it a model problem or is it a defect in my camera?

    I'm not familiar with this camera, but I would think there are separate
    controls for setting Quality/Compression and image size/resolution.

    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Bill

    Drude Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Fuji FinePix S5100.
    >
    > I have taken lots of indoor photos.
    >
    > I have tried all sort of ISO levels, compression, white balance,
    > shooting modes and still had the problem.
    >
    > Only lately I have found a workaround to the problem.
    >
    > It appears that if I use very low ISO (64) & high compression (1 MP) I
    > can get sharp indoor photos.
    >
    > Yet the photos are 1600x1200 (1.8 MP) and I would expect more from 4 MP
    > camera.
    >
    > I wonder - is it a model problem or is it a defect in my camera?
    >
    > Any help from other Fuji users?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Bill.

    I have the same camera: and haven't noticed this problem. (At least no
    more so than any other digital camera I've ever used...) The only
    images that get noisy for me are ones taken in VERY low light situations
    sauch as nighttime long exposures.

    However, I did have to play around with it quite a bit before I got it
    right. The SIZE of the image shouldn't matter, but, yes, a lower ISO is
    better when you're shooting in lower light situations. There is a
    noticeable reduction in noise with the lower ISO...just play and
    experiment...you'll get it.

    So far, I'm impressed with this camera...

    =Drude
    Drude, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Thank's for the response,

    I have tried the shutter priority with much higher speed (1000) and got
    much better results.

    The blur is gone and the image is much more sharp then the one taken
    with the regular shutter speed (60).

    If you have any particular good setup for shhoting kids, I will be
    happy to know.

    Regards,
    Bill
    Bill, Apr 2, 2005
  5. Bill

    McLeod Guest

    On 2 Apr 2005 11:21:25 -0800, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >If you have any particular good setup for shhoting kids, I will be
    >happy to know.

    Remember to lead them a little and take the wind speed into account.
    McLeod, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Bill

    g n p Guest

    "McLeod" <> wrote in message

    > On 2 Apr 2005 11:21:25 -0800, "Bill" <> wrote:
    >
    >>If you have any particular good setup for shhoting kids, I will be
    >>happy to know.

    > Remember to lead them a little and take the wind speed into account.

    Also allow for the drop (aim slightly higher).
    g n p, Apr 3, 2005
  7. Bill

    DJ Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:38:15 -0500, McLeod <> wrote:

    >On 2 Apr 2005 11:21:25 -0800, "Bill" <> wrote:
    >
    >>If you have any particular good setup for shhoting kids, I will be
    >>happy to know.

    >Remember to lead them a little and take the wind speed into account.

    He may miss that one!
    DJ, Apr 3, 2005
  8. Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On 2 Apr 2005 11:21:25 -0800, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >Thank's for the response,
    >
    >I have tried the shutter priority with much higher speed (1000) and got
    >much better results.
    >
    >The blur is gone and the image is much more sharp then the one taken
    >with the regular shutter speed (60).
    >
    >If you have any particular good setup for shhoting kids, I will be
    >happy to know.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Bill

    "How can you shoot women and kids?"
    "It's easy! You just don't lead 'em as much!"

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Apr 3, 2005
  9. Bill

    Bill Guest

    That's what happen when I write to late...

    Don't worry - I do other things with kids ;)
    Bill, Apr 3, 2005