    happening in the other room.

    Thank you for the answers
    Martin from Poland

    Kamyk, May 18, 2006

  2. Kamyk

    Cynicor Guest

    Kamyk wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I have bought a digital internet camera which is connected to my computer.
    > I would like to ask you how long the USB cable can be not to lost a signal
    > from camera.
    > I would like to enlarge the length of the USB cable, because I want to see
    > what it is
    > happening in the other room.

    USB cables can run from 3 to 5 meters. The official USB site explains
    why. If you need longer, I suggest looking into a wireless camera.

    http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5/

    Cynicor, May 18, 2006

  3. Kamyk

    Pat Guest

    Nice post. A3 says you can daisy chain them and go to 30 meters, as
    long as you don't trip over all of the wires and hubs. But I wonder if
    you would lose significant speed and you would have to worry about
    noise -- with all of those connectors it seems like something would be
    lose somewhere.

    Pat, May 18, 2006
  4. Kamyk

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Nice post. A3 says you can daisy chain them and go to 30 meters, as
    > long as you don't trip over all of the wires and hubs. But I wonder if
    > you would lose significant speed and you would have to worry about
    > noise -- with all of those connectors it seems like something would be
    > lose somewhere.

    How about putting a hub in the middle?

    Rudy Benner, May 18, 2006
  5. Kamyk wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I have bought a digital internet camera which is connected to my computer.
    > I would like to ask you how long the USB cable can be not to lost a signal
    > from camera.
    > I would like to enlarge the length of the USB cable, because I want to see
    > what it is
    > happening in the other room.
    >
    > Thank you for the answers
    > Martin from Poland

    I have seen USB Cables have built in signal conditioning
    (amplification?) and are said to be usable in lengths up to 33m. Without
    amplification USB cables are specified to be usable for 5m.
    HTH,
    EJ in NJ

    Ernie Willson, May 18, 2006
  6. On 18 May 2006 09:15:45 -0700, Pat <> wrote:
    > Nice post. A3 says you can daisy chain them and go to 30 meters, as
    > long as you don't trip over all of the wires and hubs. But I wonder if
    > you would lose significant speed and you would have to worry about
    > noise -- with all of those connectors it seems like something would be
    > lose somewhere.

    I wonder whether anyone makes a fiber-optic extender for USB. USB cable
    goes into converter box, fiber comes out the other end. 500 feet later,
    another converter turns the fiberlink back into regular USB. Done right,
    it would be transparent to the peripherals.

    I've seen such beasts for RS232 and GPIB, so I imagine that USB should
    be straightforward.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, May 18, 2006
  7. Kamyk

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 12:53:33 -0400, Ernie Willson wrote:

    > I have seen USB Cables have built in signal conditioning
    > (amplification?) and are said to be usable in lengths up to 33m. Without
    > amplification USB cables are specified to be usable for 5m.

    High quality (expensive) video, RS-232 and Ethernet cables can
    greatly extend the usable distance without needing to add
    amplification or repeaters. The cables have much lower signal
    losses, partially due to lower resistance, mostly due to lower
    capacitance. I suspect that USB cables are no different.

    Transmission speed also counts, so USB 2.0 High Speed hardware
    (including cables) should be capable of working much greater
    distances when used at USB 1.0 speeds. But this is just a guess,
    not being based on any actual experience.

    ASAAR, May 18, 2006
  8. Kamyk

    Cynicor Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On 18 May 2006 09:15:45 -0700, Pat <> wrote:
    >> Nice post. A3 says you can daisy chain them and go to 30 meters, as
    >> long as you don't trip over all of the wires and hubs. But I wonder if
    >> you would lose significant speed and you would have to worry about
    >> noise -- with all of those connectors it seems like something would be
    >> lose somewhere.

    > I wonder whether anyone makes a fiber-optic extender for USB. USB cable
    > goes into converter box, fiber comes out the other end. 500 feet later,
    > another converter turns the fiberlink back into regular USB. Done right,
    > it would be transparent to the peripherals.
    >
    > I've seen such beasts for RS232 and GPIB, so I imagine that USB should
    > be straightforward.

    Sounds like Ethernet would be a lot cheaper and more common.

    Cynicor, May 18, 2006
  9. On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:17:05 -0400, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    >> On 18 May 2006 09:15:45 -0700, Pat <> wrote:
    >>> Nice post. A3 says you can daisy chain them and go to 30 meters, as
    >>> long as you don't trip over all of the wires and hubs. But I wonder if
    >>> you would lose significant speed and you would have to worry about
    >>> noise -- with all of those connectors it seems like something would be
    >>> lose somewhere.

    >> I wonder whether anyone makes a fiber-optic extender for USB. USB cable
    >> goes into converter box, fiber comes out the other end. 500 feet later,
    >> another converter turns the fiberlink back into regular USB. Done right,
    >> it would be transparent to the peripherals.
    >>
    >> I've seen such beasts for RS232 and GPIB, so I imagine that USB should
    >> be straightforward.

    > Sounds like Ethernet would be a lot cheaper and more common.

    Not if you need big distances. Ethernet would also need repeaters over
    sufficiently large distances.

    A quick Google on 'USB fiber' turned up a bunch of hits, including
    http://www.opticomm.com/USB-511___139
    which maxes out at 500 meters. Ethernet-based extenders seem to top out
    at about 100 meters.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, May 18, 2006
  10. On Thu, 18 May 2006 19:39:10 GMT, Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:17:05 -0400, Cynicor <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Sounds like Ethernet would be a lot cheaper and more common.

    > Not if you need big distances. Ethernet would also need repeaters over
    > sufficiently large distances.
    >
    > A quick Google on 'USB fiber' turned up a bunch of hits, including
    > http://www.opticomm.com/USB-511___139
    > which maxes out at 500 meters. Ethernet-based extenders seem to top out
    > at about 100 meters.

    And, looking a bit further on the same website, we have
    http://www.opticomm.com/USB-520___151
    which is a ten kilometer USB2.0 solution. I wouldn't want to try that
    with regular old Cat 5 Ethernet.

    And yes, I'm well aware that this is massive overkill for the original
    question.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, May 18, 2006
  11. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 May 2006 12:53:33 -0400, Ernie Willson wrote:
    >

    >>I have seen USB Cables have built in signal conditioning
    >>(amplification?) and are said to be usable in lengths up to 33m. Without
    >>amplification USB cables are specified to be usable for 5m.

    > High quality (expensive) video, RS-232 and Ethernet cables can
    > greatly extend the usable distance without needing to add
    > amplification or repeaters. The cables have much lower signal
    > losses, partially due to lower resistance, mostly due to lower
    > capacitance. I suspect that USB cables are no different.
    >
    > Transmission speed also counts, so USB 2.0 High Speed hardware
    > (including cables) should be capable of working much greater
    > distances when used at USB 1.0 speeds. But this is just a guess,
    > not being based on any actual experience.

    Based on my past work with radio and computer cables, you are most
    likely correct.

    As another data point...Today I bought a 5m USB 2.0 cable. The package
    says that five of these can be daisy chained without any problems (and
    no amplification). This would make a 25m (or about 80 ft) cable.

    EJ in NJ

    Ernie Willson, May 19, 2006