    as there are four or five separate companies within this space. There
    is a wireless access point as well as an ethernet router I believe
    (which is where I'm getting the wired Internet access I presume).
    T Flynn, May 9, 2006

  2. T Flynn

    Malke Guest

    T Flynn wrote:

    > I'm trying to set up a small wireless network in an office. There is
    > a modem jack that provides internet if I plug the network cable
    > directly into a PC.
    >
    > I tried plugging a network cable from the jack into the "Internet"
    > slot of a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, then running another network
    > cable
    > from the "1" slot of the router to my PC. When I do this I no longer
    > can access the Internet even after running the Setup Wizard many
    > times.
    > Also, all of the lights on the router appear normal.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > I don't know much about how the network is set up in this office space
    > as there are four or five separate companies within this space. There
    > is a wireless access point as well as an ethernet router I believe
    > (which is where I'm getting the wired Internet access I presume).

    You're going to need to check with your landlord (or the property
    management company) to see how their access is set up. IMO it is
    foolish to run a wireless network in a business situated like yours
    because of security issues. It would be better to have your landlord
    just provide ethernet ports at the walls where you want connectivity.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, May 9, 2006

  3. T Flynn

    T Flynn Guest

    So would I just get a wired router and run a wire to my main PC and
    another to my satellite PC? Can I still create a network that only the
    main & satellite PC can access?

    Thanks for your help
    T Flynn, May 9, 2006
  4. Hi

    You can create a separate Network for yourself with a Router.

    Your landlord is probably using a Router and he is providing you with a
    Private IP (I.e. the 192.168.x.x type).

    You have to configure the WAN side of your Router to accept a private IP;
    preferably you can ask the landlord to set you with a Static IP. The
    principle (the first Router is the landlord Router, and ignore the Wireless
    aspect) can be seen here, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

    Otherwise, putting aside for the sake of explanation the security issues,
    you can configure your system like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    The draw back of the second configuration is that you are on the same
    network as the rest of the building and you expose yourself to sever
    security hazards.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 9, 2006