    I would really appreciate some assistance or good advice with this.

    Cheers
    Buck the kiwi
    Buck, Nov 6, 2010

  2. Buck

    Paul Guest

    Buck wrote:
    > It used to be that whenever I plugged one of the flash drives I have into
    > the local USB slot, Explorer would automatically open a small window and ask
    > me what I wanted to do with the information on the drive. I liked this
    > feature and used it extensively.
    >
    > For some reason that is unknown to me it just stopped doing that right outa
    > the blue. Obviously something has changed in the gubbins and workings of my
    > machine for that to happen, does anyone have any ideas on this or any ways I
    > can restore the opening feature again?
    >
    > I would really appreciate some assistance or good advice with this.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Buck the kiwi

    You can see here, that Microsoft has made a real mess of this.
    It's a balance of functionality versus security. Allowing
    autorun to occur for any device, is a potential security issue.
    It allows malware to spread from one computer to another, using
    removable media like your flash drive, as the infecter.

    In any case, pour yourself an extra bowl of cereal, a cup of
    coffee etc., as this is a long and boring read. Good luck :)

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715/

    *******

    Creating a system restore point, before you begin, is also a good
    idea. If you don't like the results of using the Fixit tools,
    then you can take the system backwards to where it was previously,
    using System Restore. If you make a new System Restore point and
    name it, it'll show up in the Calendar for restoration, so you
    can later (like an hour from now) select this and take the system
    back to where it was before.

    http://users.isp.com/keoni/PC/Images/RestorePoints.jpg

    Look in Programs : Accessories : System Tools : System Restore,
    to access the creation or restoration features. If you have
    System Restore turned off, it can be control using the "System"
    Control Panel and System Restore tab. (In there, I have it set
    to Monitor my C: partition, but no other partitions. If the tick
    box for "Turn off System Restore on all drives" is ticked, then
    system restore is not running.)

    System Restore is not a "file backup". It must be used with care.
    By setting a restore point, playing around, and then restoring
    to the restore point you make before doing your experiments,
    there is little collateral damage that can be done by System
    Restore. Just arbitrarily trying to take your system back
    a couple of months, is not recommended, as much more stuff
    can get lost. If you want "real backups", use a proper file
    backup tool, and you'll have less to regret later. By default,
    System Restore watches folders outside "My Documents", for
    changes. If you run a separate "downloads" folder, outside
    "My Documents", then System Restore can watch it... and
    delete files as a function of how far back you go. That's
    what I mean by unintended side effects of using the Restore
    feature. Using it over a short time interval, like the
    hour you might spend trying to fix this, is less likely
    to hurt anything.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 6, 2010

  3. "Buck" <> wrote in message news:ib3e5d$hu0$...
    > It used to be that whenever I plugged one of the flash drives I have into
    > the local USB slot, Explorer would automatically open a small window and
    > ask me what I wanted to do with the information on the drive. I liked this
    > feature and used it extensively.
    >
    > For some reason that is unknown to me it just stopped doing that right
    > outa the blue. Obviously something has changed in the gubbins and workings
    > of my machine for that to happen, does anyone have any ideas on this or
    > any ways I can restore the opening feature again?
    >
    > I would really appreciate some assistance or good advice with this.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Buck the kiwi

    Sorry, I don't recall the correct answer. But I'm certain that you do not
    need to RESTORE to get this functionality back.

    I think that somebody put in a flash drive and was given the chance to open
    with a particular program or do nothing, and they also selected the DO THIS
    EVERYTIME checkbox. So they selected DO NOTHING and DO IT EVERYTIME, so now
    nothing happens ever.

    The question becomes, how do I undo this action?
    Jeff Strickland, Nov 6, 2010