Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bW90b21hbm1hdHQ=?=, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a highspeed cable internet
    connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC. I wanted to be able to connect my
    PC in an upstairs bedroom wirelessly.

    I purchased a Netgear WG111 USB Wireless Adapter and installedthe software
    for the the upstairs PC (runing XP Home edition). Netgear instructed me to
    allow their software to install the device, not Microsoft. Everything
    installed fine; I have a blue light on the USB Adapter (antenna) and the
    Netgear software shows good signal strength. However, when I go to use
    Internet Explorer, I can't connect to the internet.

    I got on the phone with a Netgear tech who, after working for awhile, found
    that in the Network Connections (in the Control Panel) that for some reason
    the Wireless Network wasn't installed/visible. (FYI: My handheld connectects
    to the WAP fine)

    I uninstalled and re-installed as he instructed, but the result was the same.

    FYI: I went to my office and installed the software on my XP PRO
    workstation, and everything installed fine.

    ANyone have any idea why the Wireless Network option isn't appearing in
    Network Connections?

    Thanks!

    Matt

    =?Utf-8?B?bW90b21hbm1hdHQ=?=, Mar 4, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bW90b21hbm1hdHQ=?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    Quote: "I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a highspeed cable
    internet
    connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC".
    The above does not really describe your connection.
    Is it a Wireless Cable/DSL Router? or Just an Access Point connected to
    what?
    As for the Wireless itself may be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 4, 2005

  3. I receive my internet through a cable, the same cable that provides our
    television.. It terminates at a Motorola cable modem, which is in turn
    connected to a Netgear router. The router serves my downstairs PC, as well as
    my Netgear access point.

    Matt

    =?Utf-8?B?bW90b21hbm1hdHQ=?=, Mar 4, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bW90b21hbm1hdHQ=?=

    Quaoar Guest

    motomanmatt wrote:
    > I receive my internet through a cable, the same cable that provides
    > our television.. It terminates at a Motorola cable modem, which is
    > in turn connected to a Netgear router. The router serves my
    > downstairs PC, as well as my Netgear access point.
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "Jack (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Quote: "I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a
    >> highspeed cable internet
    >> connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC".
    >> The above does not really describe your connection.
    >> Is it a Wireless Cable/DSL Router? or Just an Access Point connected
    >> to what?
    >> As for the Wireless itself may be this can Help.
    >> Wireless - Basic Configuration:
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html Wireless Security -
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "motomanmatt" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a highspeed
    >>> cable internet connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC. I wanted
    >>> to be able to connect my PC in an upstairs bedroom wirelessly.
    >>>

    >>> I purchased a Netgear WG111 USB Wireless Adapter and installedthe
    >>> software for the the upstairs PC (runing XP Home edition). Netgear
    >>> instructed me to allow their software to install the device, not
    >>> Microsoft. Everything installed fine; I have a blue light on the
    >>> USB Adapter (antenna) and the Netgear software shows good signal
    >>> strength. However, when I go to use Internet Explorer, I can't
    >>> connect to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> I got on the phone with a Netgear tech who, after working for
    >>> awhile, found that in the Network Connections (in the Control
    >>> Panel) that for some reason the Wireless Network wasn't
    >>> installed/visible. (FYI: My handheld connectects to the WAP fine)
    >>>
    >>> I uninstalled and re-installed as he instructed, but the result was
    >>> the same.
    >>>
    >>> FYI: I went to my office and installed the software on my XP PRO
    >>> workstation, and everything installed fine.
    >>>
    >>> ANyone have any idea why the Wireless Network option isn't
    >>> appearing in Network Connections?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Matt

    You have to deliberately set up a wireless connection. Try running the
    wireless connection setup wizard in Control Panel.

    Quaoar, Mar 5, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bW90b21hbm1hdHQ=?=

    Quaoar Guest

    motomanmatt wrote:
    > I receive my internet through a cable, the same cable that provides
    > our television.. It terminates at a Motorola cable modem, which is
    > in turn connected to a Netgear router. The router serves my
    > downstairs PC, as well as my Netgear access point.
    >
    > Matt

    Also make sure that Wireless Zero Configuration service is set to
    automatic startup and is started.

    Quaoar, Mar 5, 2005