    My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files or
    seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Andy Petro, Feb 8, 2009

  2. Andy Petro wrote:

    > My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files
    > or seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart. Any help
    > would be appreciated.

    Do you have the box your computer came in?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 8, 2009

  3. Andy Petro

    thanatoid Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in

    > My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding
    > to files or seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to
    > restart. Any help would be appreciated.

    Not a LOT of info, but get some utility to clean out all the
    temp files and crap, get a start-up process utility and
    eliminate start-up stuff that just eats memory and does nothing
    useful.

    When's the last time you defragged? Scandisked?

    Get a spyware killer program and make sure you have no malware.

    Is your machine AT LEAST 1GHz with 1 GB of memory?

    Don't run too many things at once.

    This probably won't fix your problem, but you /might/ also
    consider a registry cleanup utility. I use the Joni Vuorio one
    and ARO from www.systweak.com

    Many people say they do nothing or **** things up, nut I have
    been using them for years and find them very useful. Never a
    problem.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Feb 8, 2009
  4. Andy Petro

    meerkat Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message
    > My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files
    > or seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Rt/click My computer/Manage/ Event Viewer.
    Check In Applications for errors.
    Ditto in System for errors.

    Double click on an error, to find out more about it.

    bw..
    meerkat, Feb 8, 2009
  5. Andy Petro

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:47:49 -0500, "Andy Petro"
    <> wrote:

    >My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files or
    >seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
    >Any help would be appreciated.

    It's like Deja Vu all over again.

    From: "Andy Petro" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Slow computer
    Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:37:06 -0500

    Why is my computer so slow. It takes up to 5 minutes to load
    Internet
    Explorer or Outlook express or to just start up the computer.

    I checked for viruses , etc; used Disk Cleanup and Disk defragmenter.

    Running Win XP. PRO . Have 576 megabytes of memory & 2.40 gig Intel
    Celeron
    processor.

    Evan Platt, Feb 8, 2009
  6. Andy Petro

    sachin Guest

    On Feb 9, 7:16 am, Evan Platt <>
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:47:49 -0500, "Andy Petro"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >My computer using Win XP .PRO  frequently stops responding to files  or
    > >seizes up  ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
    > >Any help would be appreciated.

    > It's like Deja Vu all over again.

    > From: "Andy Petro" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Subject: Slow computer
    > Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:37:06 -0500
    >
    > Why is my computer so slow.   It takes up to 5 minutes to load
    > Internet
    > Explorer  or  Outlook express  or to just start up the computer.
    >
    > I checked for viruses , etc; used Disk Cleanup  and Disk defragmenter.
    >
    > Running Win XP. PRO . Have 576 megabytes of memory  & 2.40 gig Intel
    > Celeron
    > processor.

    hey

    Scan for spyware and virus. if its too slow to loat antivirus then
    take the HD out and plug it as an external drive in a working PC that
    is protected with antispyware and antivirus and scan it.
    sachin, Feb 8, 2009
  7. Andy Petro

    John Holmes Guest

    Andy Petro "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files or
    > seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Any time.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Feb 8, 2009
  8. Andy Petro

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:47:49 -0500, Andy Petro wrote:

    > frequently stops responding to files

    Ah, yes, I totally understand.

    <aside>
    Anybody know what the **** he's going on about???
    </aside>

    Aardvark, Feb 8, 2009
  9. Andy Petro

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 11:16:41 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:47:49 -0500, "Andy Petro"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files or
    >>seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart. Any help would be
    >>appreciated.

    > It's like Deja Vu all over again.

    newshosting.com!83.128.0.12.MISMATCH!news-out2.kabelfoon.nl!
    newsfeed.kabelfoon.nl!xindi.nntp.kabelfoon.nl!news.k-dsl.de!
    news.motzarella.org!motzarella.org!news.motzarella.org!not-for-mail
    > From: "Andy Petro" <> Newsgroups:
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Subject: Slow computer
    > Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:37:06 -0500 Organization: A noiseless patient
    > Spider Lines: 9

    +fooWdC7cjeaCDPguUXjUSVV6laIx5i36YZGbN9HuUtdcxG5pUIgZudDIsukhUV/
    QsAX15wvK4oa9HzxUfjZaAbjGxQXSNDkzOg=

    > Why is my computer so slow. It takes up to 5 minutes to load Internet
    > Explorer or Outlook express or to just start up the computer.
    >
    > I checked for viruses , etc; used Disk Cleanup and Disk defragmenter.
    >
    > Running Win XP. PRO . Have 576 megabytes of memory & 2.40 gig Intel
    > Celeron
    > processor.

    I just had an image of Andy buying his first computer and connecting it
    to the internet:

    Two weeks later he realises that it isn't performing as it should. He
    remembers that someone once told him about thing called 'urenet or
    something' so he searches as best he can to find 'upenet'.

    He posts an 'email' to 'utenet' and waits for a reply. Nobody ever
    answers him, the bastards, so he gives away his old computer to some
    local schoolkid and buys another.

    He connects it to the internet........

    Aardvark, Feb 8, 2009
  10. Andy Petro

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:41:39 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >Ah, yes, I totally understand.
    >
    ><aside>
    >Anybody know what the **** he's going on about???
    ></aside>

    Not a clue. Read some of his previous posts... Classic. :)
    Evan Platt, Feb 8, 2009
  11. In message <gmn9cn$sov$>, "Andy Petro" wrote:
    > My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files or
    > seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Check memory. Run memtest and pull and reseat your RAM...

    ok...that came out baaaaaaaaaaaad :)

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 8, 2009