    it only happens on this one webpage
    Any help with this would be appreciated
    Winsows XP2

    james, Aug 27, 2007

  2. james

    Mike Easter Guest

    james wrote:

    > When I click on the new york times web page ,it "Freezes " nor
    > responding" is the error message ,
    > it only happens on this one webpage
    > Any help with this would be appreciated
    > Winsows XP2

    o you will always get better information if you name/paste the specific
    link you are talking about
    o if you only want 'generic' information instead of useful information,
    then
    -1- it might be the problem of the webpage/webserver/link
    -2- it might be the problem of the OS, browser, browser
    configuration, browser's helper apps

    If instead of not saying what you were talking about, you had posted a
    link to a page you were having trouble with, someone could have already
    told you the real answer, such as "It works" instead of a non-answer.

    You also didn't say what is the browser you were trying to use to open
    the page. I would have to guess that it is IE6 SP2.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 27, 2007

  3. james

    Slacker Guest

    "james" <> wrote in message
    > When I click on the new york times web page ,it "Freezes " nor responding"
    > is the error message ,
    > it only happens on this one webpage
    > Any help with this would be appreciated
    > Winsows XP2

    Consider yourself lucky. If it loaded, you might have read and possibly even
    believed their liberal claptrap and surrender propaganda.....

    Slacker, Aug 27, 2007
  4. james

    james Guest

    "Slacker" <Slacker@> wrote in message
    > "james" <> wrote in message
    >> When I click on the new york times web page ,it "Freezes " nor
    >> responding" is the error message ,
    >> it only happens on this one webpage
    >> Any help with this would be appreciated
    >> Winsows XP2
    >>

    > Consider yourself lucky. If it loaded, you might have read and possibly
    > even believed their liberal claptrap and surrender propaganda.....

    thanks for responding to both of you.
    Guess I will have to live with it , as neither reply was helpful to me.
    Jim

    james, Aug 27, 2007
  5. james

    Mike Easter Guest

    james wrote:

    > Guess I will have to live with it , as neither reply was helpful to
    > me.

    The next time you want to ask a question like that, post the link for
    the page you can't see.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 27, 2007
  6. james

    james Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > james wrote:
    >
    >> Guess I will have to live with it , as neither reply was helpful to
    >> me.

    > The next time you want to ask a question like that, post the link for
    > the page you can't see.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    You are right , i neglected to say that the page loaded , then" froze up"

    james, Aug 27, 2007
  7. james

    Mike Easter Guest

    james wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> The next time you want to ask a question like that, post the link for
    >> the page you can't see.

    > You are right , i neglected to say that the page loaded , then" froze
    > up"

    You apparently aren't understanding what I'm saying.

    This is what a link is
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/business/yourmoney/26pre.html

    That is a NYT article about proper manners when you take your laptop to
    a business meeting.

    If I were having trouble displaying that page and I posted the link to
    the page here, we could effectively talk about it because then we would
    all know exactly what I was talking about.

    When you post a vague reference to an 'imaginary' hypothetical not-real
    NYT page, then you haven't actually said anything useful whatsoever.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 27, 2007
  8. james

    Harry Guest

    > james wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> The next time you want to ask a question like that, post the link for
    >>> the page you can't see.

    >> You are right , i neglected to say that the page loaded , then" froze
    >> up"

    > You apparently aren't understanding what I'm saying.
    >
    > This is what a link is
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/business/yourmoney/26pre.html
    >
    > That is a NYT article about proper manners when you take your laptop to
    > a business meeting.
    >
    > If I were having trouble displaying that page and I posted the link to
    > the page here, we could effectively talk about it because then we would
    > all know exactly what I was talking about.
    >
    > When you post a vague reference to an 'imaginary' hypothetical not-real
    > NYT page, then you haven't actually said anything useful whatsoever.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Why do you lot nitpick, I did a google on New York Times and it "froze" so
    tell the lad why it froze.

    If you don't know "Shut the **** up"

    Harry

    Harry, Aug 27, 2007
  9. james

    Mike Easter Guest

    Harry wrote:

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    If you are going to be a nontrimming noncontextualizing bottom poster
    whose newsreader can't autotrim sigs, you should -1- at least manually
    trim the sig -2- find out about trimming and contextualizing -3-
    consider using a newsreader that will 'help' you trim if you can't or
    don't want to do it by hand

    > Why do you lot nitpick, I did a google on New York Times and it
    > "froze"

    No it didn't. That is -- prove it.

    > so tell the lad why it froze.

    Yeah right.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 27, 2007
  10. james

    james Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> james wrote:
    >>> "Mike Easter"

    >>> You are right , i neglected to say that the page loaded , then" froze
    >>> up"

    >> You apparently aren't understanding what I'm saying.
    >>
    >> This is what a link is
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/business/yourmoney/26pre.html
    >>
    >> That is a NYT article about proper manners when you take your laptop to
    >> a business meeting.
    >>
    >> If I were having trouble displaying that page and I posted the link to
    >> the page here, we could effectively talk about it because then we would
    >> all know exactly what I was talking about.
    >>
    >> When you post a vague reference to an 'imaginary' hypothetical not-real
    >> NYT page, then you haven't actually said anything useful whatsoever.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter
    >>

    > Why do you lot nitpick, I did a google on New York Times and it "froze" so
    > tell the lad why it froze.
    >
    > If you don't know "Shut the **** up"
    >
    > Harry

    Harry
    My thoughts exactly.
    Jim

    james, Aug 27, 2007
  11. "james" <> wrote in

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> james wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess I will have to live with it , as neither reply was
    >>> helpful to me.

    >> The next time you want to ask a question like that, post the
    >> link for the page you can't see.
    >>

    > You are right , i neglected to say that the page loaded ,
    > then" froze up"

    You neglected to say anything that will help us solve your
    problem.

    We need to know:
    - what browser you are using
    - The URL of the exact, actual page that froze up.

    Without that information, there can be no diagnosis.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    "Never do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow if
    tomorrow might improve the odds." - Robert A. Heinlein

    Christopher Jahn, Aug 27, 2007
  12. james

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > "james" <> wrote in message
    >> When I click on the new york times web page ,it "Freezes " nor
    >> responding" is the error message ,
    >> it only happens on this one webpage
    >> Any help with this would be appreciated
    >> Winsows XP2
    >>

    > Consider yourself lucky. If it loaded, you might have read and possibly
    > even believed their liberal claptrap and surrender propaganda.....

    LOL!

    WhzzKdd, Aug 27, 2007
  13. james

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "james" <> wrote in message

    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    >>> You apparently aren't understanding what I'm saying.
    >>>
    >>> This is what a link is
    >>> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/business/yourmoney/26pre.html
    >>>
    >>> That is a NYT article about proper manners when you take your laptop to
    >>> a business meeting.
    >>>
    >>> If I were having trouble displaying that page and I posted the link to
    >>> the page here, we could effectively talk about it because then we would
    >>> all know exactly what I was talking about.
    >>>
    >>> When you post a vague reference to an 'imaginary' hypothetical not-real
    >>> NYT page, then you haven't actually said anything useful whatsoever.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Easter
    >>>

    >> Why do you lot nitpick, I did a google on New York Times and it "froze"
    >> so tell the lad why it froze.
    >>
    >> If you don't know "Shut the **** up"
    >>
    >> Harry

    > Harry
    > My thoughts exactly.
    > Jim

    Jim, with an attitude like that, you're not likely to get much help anyway.
    Mike is trying to get you to provide adequate information, which without
    that information, analysis of your problem is impossible. So either "help
    the helpers" or go away and cry in your New York Times.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 27, 2007
  14. james

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> james wrote:
    >>> "Mike Easter"

    >>> You are right , i neglected to say that the page loaded , then" froze
    >>> up"

    >> You apparently aren't understanding what I'm saying.
    >>
    >> This is what a link is
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/business/yourmoney/26pre.html
    >>
    >> That is a NYT article about proper manners when you take your laptop to
    >> a business meeting.
    >>
    >> If I were having trouble displaying that page and I posted the link to
    >> the page here, we could effectively talk about it because then we would
    >> all know exactly what I was talking about.
    >>
    >> When you post a vague reference to an 'imaginary' hypothetical not-real
    >> NYT page, then you haven't actually said anything useful whatsoever.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter
    >>

    > Why do you lot nitpick, I did a google on New York Times and it "froze" so
    > tell the lad why it froze.

    WTF does "google" have to do with this? Did you even read the original
    thread?

    > If you don't know "Shut the **** up"

    Back at ya, Harry boy.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 27, 2007
  15. james

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Christopher Jahn" <> wrote in message
    > "james" <> wrote in
    >
    > > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > >> The next time you want to ask a question like that, post the
    > >> link for the page you can't see.
    > >>

    > > You are right , i neglected to say that the page loaded ,
    > > then" froze up"

    > You neglected to say anything that will help us solve your
    > problem.
    >
    > We need to know:
    > - what browser you are using
    > - The URL of the exact, actual page that froze up.
    >
    > Without that information, there can be no diagnosis.

    I'll give the problem a try.

    MSWin98SE, IE and OE, AVG, AdAware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster.

    Here's the guilty party -- http://www.nytimes.com/pages/aponline/news

    When I access the NYTimes AP Headlines page, I open several articles in
    new windows and then go offline (often, not always) to read them.
    Frequently, one of the windows will not close with either the mouse or
    Alt+F4, and I resort to C+A+Del, which *sometimes* works. If the window
    closes, every NYTimes page also closes. Others are untouched and the
    system operates normally.

    If it doesn't close, the condition progresses to where every open window
    and dialog box "freezes," or fails to respond. Finally, I'm repeating
    everything, struggling to get any response. That's when I get the BSOD
    message, "The system is not responding because it is waiting for the
    Close Program dialog box to be displayed. You can press C+A+Del again
    and the system will reboot, but you will lose all the information you
    were working on. Or you can click any other key to return to your
    program." I'm sure I'll be able to post the exact wording of the
    Windows error message for you in the near future. : /

    That's the problem as I have experienced it. Don't know that the problem
    is with any particular NYTimes page. Maybe the site uses some kind of
    intrusive protocol (if that's the word) or a java script.

    HTH, and I hope you can too.

    JPM

    > }:) Christopher Jahn
    > {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    Heh... so flat he did *what* now?

    DemoDisk, Aug 27, 2007
  16. james

    Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote:

    >"Christopher Jahn" <> wrote in message

    >> Without that information, there can be no diagnosis.

    >I'll give the problem a try.
    >
    >MSWin98SE, IE and OE, AVG, AdAware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster.
    >
    >Here's the guilty party -- http://www.nytimes.com/pages/aponline/news

    >When I access the NYTimes AP Headlines page, I open several articles in
    >new windows and then go offline (often, not always) to read them.
    >Frequently, one of the windows will not close with either the mouse or
    >Alt+F4, and I resort to C+A+Del, which *sometimes* works. If the window
    >closes, every NYTimes page also closes. Others are untouched and the
    >system operates normally.
    >
    >If it doesn't close, the condition progresses to where every open window
    >and dialog box "freezes," or fails to respond. Finally, I'm repeating
    >everything, struggling to get any response. That's when I get the BSOD
    >message, "The system is not responding because it is waiting for the
    >Close Program dialog box to be displayed. You can press C+A+Del again
    >and the system will reboot, but you will lose all the information you
    >were working on. Or you can click any other key to return to your
    >program." I'm sure I'll be able to post the exact wording of the
    >Windows error message for you in the near future. : /
    >
    >That's the problem as I have experienced it. Don't know that the problem
    >is with any particular NYTimes page. Maybe the site uses some kind of
    >intrusive protocol (if that's the word) or a java script.

    For log in suckmyassnyt works www.bugmenot.com

    My IE won't do tab'd windows. So with Opera I went down that page
    opening every article and let them load, scrolled to the bottom,
    closed each, no problem.

    Opera no problem
    --

    Ohio flood aftermath
    http://sevenels.net/flood/07flood.html

    , Aug 27, 2007
  17. DemoDisk wrote:

    > I'll give the problem a try.
    >
    > MSWin98SE, IE and OE, AVG, AdAware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster.

    Do you have a modern browser?

    > Here's the guilty party -- http://www.nytimes.com/pages/aponline/news
    >
    > When I access the NYTimes AP Headlines page, I open several articles
    > in new windows and then go offline (often, not always) to read them.
    > Frequently, one of the windows will not close with either the mouse
    > or Alt+F4, and I resort to C+A+Del, which *sometimes* works. If the
    > window closes, every NYTimes page also closes. Others are untouched
    > and the system operates normally.

    I used both Firefox and Opera, opened a half-dozen articles in new
    windows (though that's not my choice), and then closed them all except
    the main link above, and all worked fine.

    > If it doesn't close, the condition progresses to where every open
    > window and dialog box "freezes," or fails to respond. Finally, I'm
    > repeating everything, struggling to get any response. That's when I
    > get the BSOD message, "The system is not responding because it is
    > waiting for the Close Program dialog box to be displayed. You can
    > press C+A+Del again and the system will reboot, but you will lose all
    > the information you were working on. Or you can click any other key
    > to return to your program." I'm sure I'll be able to post the exact
    > wording of the Windows error message for you in the near future. : /

    So then I thought I would fire up the windows box and use IE6 in Windows
    2000. No problem with that either: opened a half-dozen new windows,
    then closed them, and all worked fine. Nothing froze up.

    > That's the problem as I have experienced it. Don't know that the problem
    > is with any particular NYTimes page. Maybe the site uses some kind of
    > intrusive protocol (if that's the word) or a java script.

    It ain't JavaScript, as I have that disabled.

    But rather than have all these windows open (extra maintenance), why not
    use a better browser and open the news articles in tabs. All in one
    window. It is quite easy.

    Maybe you guys having the problem are running out of resources. I do not
    see any problems with the NYT site.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 27, 2007
  18. james

    Plato Guest

    Slacker wrote:

    > > When I click on the new york times web page ,it "Freezes " nor responding"
    > > is the error message ,
    > > it only happens on this one webpage
    > > Any help with this would be appreciated
    > > Winsows XP2

    > Consider yourself lucky. If it loaded, you might have read and possibly even
    > believed their liberal claptrap and surrender propaganda.....

    :)

    Plato, Aug 28, 2007