    suggestions? If you need more info I'll supply it.

    Thanks
    Richard

    Richard, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Richard

    beenthere Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    news:7cq4h.10350$...
    > All my programs tell me their not responding and they get stuck and
    > freeze. This has been going on for months and I can't figure it out. I
    > have XP, 512 RAM which is fine. both my hard drives are OK.80 & 200. I
    > have 80% of the Cdrive full.8 gigs on a 10 gig partition. Could that be
    > the problem? I've cleaned up the drive several times. I don't download
    > crap from the Internet. I don't want to re-load the OS because I'll lose
    > everything. Anyone has any suggestions? If you need more info I'll supply
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Richard

    First place to look is in your Event Viewer.

    beenthere, Nov 8, 2006

  3. Richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:29:10 -0700, "Richard" <>
    wrote:

    >All my programs tell me their not responding and they get stuck and freeze.
    >This has been going on for months and I can't figure it out.

    Every program?

    >I have XP, 512 RAM which is fine.

    Not really. I'd really recommend 1 gig. Depending on what you have
    loaded on system start up, you may have less than 100 megs of memory
    free.

    >I don't want to re-load the OS because I'll lose everything.

    No, you wouldn't if you performed a Upgrade Install.

    Run FreeRam and see what it says for how much memory you have
    available.
    http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/

    Evan Platt, Nov 8, 2006
  4. Richard

    beenthere Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for
    > this specific error or event message.

    So what was the latest error msg ?.

    beenthere, Nov 8, 2006
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    >>All my programs tell me their not responding and they get stuck and
    >>freeze.
    >>This has been going on for months and I can't figure it out.

    Every program?
    Every program that I know of and am using.

    >>I have XP, 512 RAM which is fine.

    > Not really. I'd really recommend 1 gig. Depending on what you have
    > loaded on system start up, you may have less than 100 megs of memory
    > free.

    I used 256 Megs of RAM on an XP OS for one year and it was OK.

    >>I don't want to re-load the OS because I'll lose everything.

    > No, you wouldn't if you performed a Upgrade Install.

    I have an upgrade but it won't let me upgrade.

    > Run FreeRam and see what it says for how much memory you have
    > available.
    > http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/

    97 Megs free

    Richard, Nov 8, 2006
  7. Richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:56:03 -0700, "Richard" <>
    wrote:

    >> Not really. I'd really recommend 1 gig. Depending on what you have
    >> loaded on system start up, you may have less than 100 megs of memory
    >> free.

    >I used 256 Megs of RAM on an XP OS for one year and it was OK.

    Wow.. I had 512, and it crawled.

    >I have an upgrade but it won't let me upgrade.

    What does it say when you try to upgrade?

    >97 Megs free

    See if you can free some more memory. 97 isn't a whole lot.

    Evan Platt, Nov 8, 2006
  8. Richard wrote:

    > All my programs tell me their not responding and they get stuck and
    > freeze. This has been going on for months and I can't figure it out. I
    > have XP, 512 RAM which is fine. both my hard drives are OK.80 & 200. I
    > have 80% of the Cdrive full.8 gigs on a 10 gig partition. Could that be
    > the problem? I've cleaned up the drive several times. I don't download
    > crap from the Internet. I don't want to re-load the OS because I'll lose
    > everything. Anyone has any suggestions? If you need more info I'll supply
    > it.

    80% full might slow down your system, but it would not make it stall and
    freeze. You have some basic networking problem (name resolution, wrong
    addresses in hostsfile or localhost misdirected/not there). Most probably
    your cpu is idle most of the time during the "hangs" - run the performance
    monitor view of your taskmanager.
    Then try disabling your network interface, or starting in safe mode.

    Walter Mautner, Nov 8, 2006