Not recognising cdrw

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Scout Lady, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Scout Lady

    Scout Lady Guest

    I have an older pc with a iomega zip650 cd writer installed. It worked fine
    and now all of the sudden the pc doesn't recognize the drive in the control
    panel. I took the drive out and then put it back in....still didn't
    recognize it. I then put the drive in my sons pc and it recognized it. Again
    back to my pc....not recognized.

    I don't know too much about installing things but I did originally install
    this drive as well as the one that is currently in my sons pc from the
    pictures in the books that came with them. I don't mind going out and buying
    a new cdrw as this one is slow but I want to make sure a new drive is going
    to solve the problem.

    Could it be the drive or could something be wrong with the wires that are
    attached to it?

    ---

    Scout Lady, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Scout Lady

    °Mike° Guest

    Try new cables before you purchase a new drive.

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:09:46 -0500, in
    <bvmosi$u7bus$-berlin.de>
    Scout Lady scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Scout Lady

    Scout Lady Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Try new cables before you purchase a new drive.

    Okay, there is a flat gray cable with a red edge that plugs into the board
    in 2 places, and into the hard drive, the other cd rom drive, that cdrw
    drive and the floppy. What is this cable called and is it a standard cable?

    Thanks in advance.

    Scout Lady, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Scout Lady

    treehugger Guest

    "Scout Lady" <> wrote in message news:bvmosi$u7bus$-berlin.de...
    > I have an older pc with a iomega zip650 cd writer installed. It worked fine
    > and now all of the sudden the pc doesn't recognize the drive in the control
    > panel. I took the drive out and then put it back in....still didn't
    > recognize it. I then put the drive in my sons pc and it recognized it. Again
    > back to my pc....not recognized.
    >
    > I don't know too much about installing things but I did originally install
    > this drive as well as the one that is currently in my sons pc from the
    > pictures in the books that came with them. I don't mind going out and buying
    > a new cdrw as this one is slow but I want to make sure a new drive is going
    > to solve the problem.
    >
    > Could it be the drive or could something be wrong with the wires that are
    > attached to it?
    >

    > ---

    Found this on google a while ago and saved the info to a text file for a friend it happened to. It worked for her.

    RE: CD-RW Has disappeared from XP
    IP: Logged

    Message:
    1. Click on START button, the click on RUN
    2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter
    3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
    "Upperfilters"
    "Lowerfilters"
    Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

    Then close REGEDIT, shutdown & restart your PC

    Good luck,
    tree

    ---

    treehugger, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Scout Lady

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:59:15 -0500, in
    <bvod6e$o5uva$-berlin.de>
    Scout Lady scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Try new cables before you purchase a new drive.
    >>

    >Okay, there is a flat gray cable with a red edge that plugs into the board
    >in 2 places, and into the hard drive, the other cd rom drive, that cdrw
    >drive and the floppy. What is this cable called and is it a standard cable?

    Oh, boy! They are IDE/ATA cables.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable-c.html

    If in doubt, take the old cable to your supplier.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 3, 2004
  6. "Scout Lady" <> wrote in message
    > I have an older pc with a iomega zip650 cd writer installed. It worked

    fine
    > and now all of the sudden the pc doesn't recognize the drive in the

    control
    > panel. I took the drive out and then put it back in....still didn't
    > recognize it. I then put the drive in my sons pc and it recognized it.

    Again
    > back to my pc....not recognized.
    >
    > I don't know too much about installing things but I did originally install
    > this drive as well as the one that is currently in my sons pc from the
    > pictures in the books that came with them. I don't mind going out and

    buying
    > a new cdrw as this one is slow but I want to make sure a new drive is

    going
    > to solve the problem.
    >
    > Could it be the drive or could something be wrong with the wires that are
    > attached to it?

    click on to computer and you will see your drives come up
    clik onto the drives and rename them as in c d e because the computer
    doesn't know which is which keep a note of the changes you have made this
    happened to me when I installed a cdrw and I had to rename the drives (
    really in a way to fool yourself)
    > Mind you it is archaeic and likely worn out

    Newer cds ect have codes to defeat mear molluscs of that order mine is two
    years old but is already a grandad. get a nerw dvd/cd.w and get clone to
    make copies

    andrew oconnor, Feb 4, 2004