Not quite disneyland afterall

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    As posted on an OSS mailing list I leech from
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10445856&pnum=0

    Whilst the article gets a bit.. weird.. (I think its painting the OSS vs
    Microsoft bunfight a bit thick) the thing many of you may notice is the
    location of the.. conference..

    Just to throw some conspiracy theorys of my own into the mix, the inventor
    of python is [now] a Google employee, and he was hired with the intention
    that a portion of his time would be spent on maintaining python.
    Why? Google was invented on python, Larry and Co started their little
    company with python. If python stopped, a lot of Googles work would need
    to be redone.
    <conspiracy theory>
    Google is also heavily based on Linux.
    At some stage Google may find itself becoming the force behind Linux. More
    so than [for example] IBM
    </conspiracy theory>
    You heard it here first!

    Finally some interesting comment, on how big Linux really *is* becoming.
    The Linux Foundation boasts 70 corporate and non-profit backers, including
    Intel, Oracle, IBM, Cisco, Motorola, Nokia, Dell, Red Hat and Sun, along
    with major customers like ADP, Bank of America and Morgan Stanley,

    and just how Linux (and its applications) are being looked after
    "Ultimately, I think (Linux) is being pushed by commercial forces ... Now a
    lot of people are being paid to do Linux as professionals," he said of how
    many top open-source developers now work for big-name companies like
    Google, HP and Oracle.

    --
    Q: Why do you never hear the number 288 on television?
    A: It's two gross.

    Shane, Jun 15, 2007

  2. In message <f4t8bf$qg2$>, Shane wrote:

    > If python stopped, a lot of Googles work would need to be redone.

    In what way could Python (or any other open-source project) "stop"?

    > and just how Linux (and its applications) are being looked after
    > "Ultimately, I think (Linux) is being pushed by commercial forces ... Now
    > a lot of people are being paid to do Linux as professionals," he said of
    > how many top open-source developers now work for big-name companies like
    > Google, HP and Oracle.

    Jonathan Corbet did an interesting analysis on where contributions to the
    Linux kernel came from recently <http://lwn.net/Articles/222773/>. Turns
    out most of the people working on Linux are being paid to do so.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 16, 2007