    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214

    Very interesting work.
    It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo work
    look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make their
    photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 30, 2013

  3. RichA

    philo  Guest

    philo , Jan 30, 2013
  4. PeterN wrote:
    > On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214
    >>

    > Very interesting work.
    > It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
    > work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
    > their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.

    I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. I have
    looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
    showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
    works.

    In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that you get
    from using various focal length lenses. For example, one portrait shows the
    "big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
    subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
    distance back.

    If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
    is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such command of
    lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?

    David

    David Hare-Scott, Jan 30, 2013
  5. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:31:53 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
    <> wrote:

    >PeterN wrote:
    >> On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
    >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214
    >>>

    >> Very interesting work.
    >> It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
    >> work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
    >> their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.

    >I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. I have
    >looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
    >showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
    >works.

    It states, in the clip, that he sometimes starts with a photograph but
    often works from memory.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Jan 30, 2013
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >PeterN wrote:
    : >> On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
    : >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214
    : >>>
    : >>
    : >> Very interesting work.
    : >> It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
    : >> work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
    : >> their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.
    : >
    : >I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. I have
    : >looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
    : >showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
    : >works.
    :
    : It states, in the clip, that he sometimes starts with a photograph but
    : often works from memory.

    Which puts him in the same class, in his skill area, with those guys who can
    tell you, in a couple of seconds, what day of the week Christmas falls on in
    the year 3517.

    : >In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that you get
    : >from using various focal length lenses. For example, one portrait shows the
    : >"big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
    : >subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
    : >distance back.
    : >
    : >If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
    : >is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such command of
    : >lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?

    Because that commands attention. The video says that his pictures sell for
    upwards of £10,000. He's 27 years old. It's impossible to imagine being that
    young again, with that kind of talent. I can only dream that even one of my
    five grandchildren can somehow get off to such a start by that age.

    Our 7-year-old grandson got an iPad for his birthday. He told Martha this
    afternoon that he hasn't downloaded many apps yet, but ran across several
    games that look interesting. When I was seven, I knew the alphabet, could
    recognize at least as many words as the average golden retriever, and knew
    where to catch the Drummond Street bus home (and what a nickel looked like,
    since that was the fare).

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 31, 2013
  7. Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:52:54 -0500, Tony Cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:31:53 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs.
    >>> I have looked about but other than the materials used and some
    >>> step-by-step images showing drawings in progress I cannot find
    >>> anything saying just how he works.

    >> It states, in the clip, that he sometimes starts with a photograph
    >> but often works from memory.

    > Which puts him in the same class, in his skill area, with those guys
    > who can tell you, in a couple of seconds, what day of the week
    > Christmas falls on in the year 3517.

    I didn't see any video but went to his blog and web page. Extraordinary
    stuff. I would rate him well above the "idiot savant" skills of lightning
    calculators, those who can play any song that was heard once etc. He may
    well have some of that kind special memory as well but he is no one trick
    pony.

    >>> In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that
    >>> you get from using various focal length lenses. For example, one
    >>> portrait shows the "big nose" effect of a face taken with a
    >>> wide(ish) lens held close to the subject but many show the slightly
    >>> flat effect of a short telephoto a distance back.
    >>>
    >>> If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he
    >>> doesn't it is even more so but then the question would be; if he
    >>> has such command of lighting and perspective why imitate that of
    >>> the camera?

    > Because that commands attention. The video says that his pictures
    > sell for upwards of £10,000. He's 27 years old. It's impossible to
    > imagine being that young again, with that kind of talent. I can only
    > dream that even one of my five grandchildren can somehow get off to
    > such a start by that age.

    Maybe, I suspect that it has little to do with public attention and more to
    do with how he sees the world right now. I suggest with that talent he
    could probably adopt any style and means of collecting and assembling images
    he chose. It will be interesting to see what happens to his style over the
    years as he comes to terms with recognition and success.

    > Our 7-year-old grandson got an iPad for his birthday. He told Martha
    > this afternoon that he hasn't downloaded many apps yet, but ran
    > across several games that look interesting. When I was seven, I knew
    > the alphabet, could recognize at least as many words as the average
    > golden retriever, and knew where to catch the Drummond Street bus
    > home (and what a nickel looked like, since that was the fare).
    >
    > Bob

    Yes there are many opportunities for the youngens now, though I am not sure
    being technologically precocious necessarily expands creativity.

    David

    David Hare-Scott, Jan 31, 2013
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 30, 4:31 pm, "David Hare-Scott" <> wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:
    > > On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
    > >>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214

    > > Very interesting work.
    > > It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
    > > work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
    > > their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.

    > I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs.  I have
    > looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
    > showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
    > works.
    >
    > In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that you get
    > from using various focal length lenses.  For example, one portrait shows the
    > "big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
    > subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
    > distance back.
    >
    > If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
    > is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such command of
    > lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?

    Because we have enough abstract art from untalented people to last
    forever?

    RichA, Jan 31, 2013
  9. RichA wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 4:31 pm, "David Hare-Scott" <> wrote:
    >> PeterN wrote:

    >>> Very interesting work.
    >>> It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
    >>> work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
    >>> their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.

    >> I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs.
    >> I have looked about but other than the materials used and some
    >> step-by-step images showing drawings in progress I cannot find
    >> anything saying just how he works.
    >>
    >> In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that
    >> you get from using various focal length lenses. For example, one
    >> portrait shows the "big nose" effect of a face taken with a
    >> wide(ish) lens held close to the subject but many show the slightly
    >> flat effect of a short telephoto a distance back.
    >>
    >> If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he
    >> doesn't it is even more so but then the question would be; if he has
    >> such command of lighting and perspective why imitate that of the
    >> camera?

    > Because we have enough abstract art from untalented people to last
    > forever?

    Non-abstract (representational) art does not need to imitate the
    perspectives of a camera. Many fine classic paintings and drawings use
    perspectives that make us think we are seeing a scene in a "real" way that
    is in fact not real in the sense of being a projection of 3D reality on a
    plane.

    David Hare-Scott, Jan 31, 2013
  10. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >> PeterN wrote:
[...]

    But if this guy produces work that's "not real" by that definition sometime in
    the future, we'll at least have the knowledge that it's not because he
    couldn't do it in the "real" way. We don't have that certainty with the
    producers of some (most?) of the "not real" art of the past.

    Take Anna Robertson ("Grandma") Moses, for example. I admit that she's my
    artistic idol, because she started her career as a professional painter when
    she was almost as old as I am. But her work lacks realistic perspective, and I
    don't doubt that it's mainly because she never learned how to do it correctly.
    She got away with it because people liked the originality of her work and the
    unerring sense of how to use the bold colors that she brought to the table.
    Many artists could not (and should not) have brought that off.

    Don't even get me started on the *abstract* "art" of the last hundred years or
    so. :^|

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 1, 2013
  12. RichA

    Rob Guest

    On 1/02/2013 7:01 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 4:31 pm, "David Hare-Scott" <> wrote:
    >> PeterN wrote:

    >>> Very interesting work.
    >>> It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
    >>> work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
    >>> their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.

    >> I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. I have
    >> looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
    >> showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
    >> works.
    >>
    >> In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that you get
    >> from using various focal length lenses. For example, one portrait shows the
    >> "big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
    >> subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
    >> distance back.
    >>
    >> If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
    >> is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such command of
    >> lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?

    > Because we have enough abstract art from untalented people to last
    > forever?

    Ain't that the truth!

    Rob, Feb 1, 2013
  13. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:12:46 AM UTC, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:52:54 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > : On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:31:53 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
    >
    > : <> wrote:
    >
    > :
    >
    > : >PeterN wrote:
    >
    > : >> On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
    >
    > : >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214
    >
    > : >>>
    >
    > : >>
    >
    > : >> Very interesting work.
    >
    > : >> It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
    >
    > : >> work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
    >
    > : >> their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.
    >
    > : >
    >
    > : >I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. Ihave
    >
    > : >looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
    >
    > : >showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
    >
    > : >works.
    >
    > :
    >
    > : It states, in the clip, that he sometimes starts with a photograph but
    >
    > : often works from memory.
    >

    > Which puts him in the same class, in his skill area, with those guys who can
    >
    > tell you, in a couple of seconds, what day of the week Christmas falls onin
    >
    > the year 3517.

    No it isn;t he has a photograpih memory it seems where as someone that knows what day Christmas falls on in the year 3517, uses calculation based algorighm I doubt his seen a 3517 calander well there's none on ebay presently ;-)

    > : >In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that youget
    >
    > : >from using various focal length lenses. For example, one portrait shows the
    >
    > : >"big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
    >
    > : >subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
    >
    > : >distance back.
    >
    > : >
    >
    > : >If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
    >
    > : >is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such commandof
    >
    > : >lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?
    >

    > Because that commands attention. The video says that his pictures sell for
    >
    > upwards of £10,000. He's 27 years old. It's impossible to imagine beingthat
    >
    > young again, with that kind of talent. I can only dream that even one of my
    >
    > five grandchildren can somehow get off to such a start by that age.

    The university where he studies was almost closed down by the govenment recently due to immigration concerns.

    > Our 7-year-old grandson got an iPad for his birthday. He told Martha this
    >
    > afternoon that he hasn't downloaded many apps yet, but ran across several
    >
    > games that look interesting. When I was seven, I knew the alphabet, could
    >
    > recognize at least as many words as the average golden retriever, and knew
    >
    > where to catch the Drummond Street bus home (and what a nickel looked like,
    >
    > since that was the fare).

    So did you know more or less than the 7 year old with the iPad ? as it's not clear whether or not you know more than he does or just difernt things which are relivant at the time.

    Whisky-dave, Feb 1, 2013
  14. RichA

    Rob Guest

    On 1/02/2013 11:02 PM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> [...]

    >> young again, with that kind of talent. I can only dream that even one of my
    >>
    >> five grandchildren can somehow get off to such a start by that age.

    > The university where he studies was almost closed down by the govenment recently due to immigration concerns.
    >

    >> Our 7-year-old grandson got an iPad for his birthday. He told Martha this
    >>
    >> afternoon that he hasn't downloaded many apps yet, but ran across several
    >>
    >> games that look interesting. When I was seven, I knew the alphabet, could
    >>
    >> recognize at least as many words as the average golden retriever, and knew
    >>
    >> where to catch the Drummond Street bus home (and what a nickel looked like,
    >>
    >> since that was the fare).

    > So did you know more or less than the 7 year old with the iPad ? as it's not clear whether or not you know more than he does or just difernt things which are relivant at the time.

    Just a thought: Its not so much relevant now but using a computer
    (screen) will it be effecting the eyesight of the 7 year old for future
    years?

    I know its not helpful to me exercising my eyes, but makes them sore.

    Rob, Feb 1, 2013
  15. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Friday, February 1, 2013 12:19:04 PM UTC, Rob wrote:
> [...]

    > > The university where he studies was almost closed down by the govenmentrecently due to immigration concerns.

    > >> Our 7-year-old grandson got an iPad for his birthday. He told Martha this

    > >> afternoon that he hasn't downloaded many apps yet, but ran across several

    > >> games that look interesting. When I was seven, I knew the alphabet, could

    > >> recognize at least as many words as the average golden retriever, and knew

    > >> where to catch the Drummond Street bus home (and what a nickel looked like,

    > >> since that was the fare).

    > > So did you know more or less than the 7 year old with the iPad ? as it's not clear whether or not you know more than he does or just difernt things which are relivant at the time.

    > Just a thought: Its not so much relevant now but using a computer
    >
    > (screen) will it be effecting the eyesight of the 7 year old for future

    I would assume so in the same way that boks do or why is it that clever or people or geeks are porytrayed as wearing glasses ?
    Kids at my school when I was 7-16 had glasses and there was no such thing as an iPad, in fact Apple didn't exist other than as a music corp.

    > I know its not helpful to me exercising my eyes, but makes them sore.

    I've heard that too perhaps you need classes, it's friday and I need one ortwo glasses too, but I'll probbely drink from the bottle ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Feb 1, 2013
  16. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/31/2013 10:15 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:01:42 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    > : On Jan 30, 4:31 pm, "David Hare-Scott" <> wrote:
    > : > PeterN wrote:
    > : > > On 1/30/2013 12:40 AM, RichA wrote:
    > : > >>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214
    > : >
    > : > > Very interesting work.
    > : > > It is ironic that the photo realists strive to make there non=photo
    > : > > work look like a photograph. And many photo artists strive to make
    > : > > their photos look like paintings, or pencil sketches.
    > : >
    > : > I would be interested to know if the artist works from photographs. I have
    > : > looked about but other than the materials used and some step-by-step images
    > : > showing drawings in progress I cannot find anything saying just how he
    > : > works.
    > : >
    > : > In some cases the image seems to show the perspective effects that you get
    > : > from using various focal length lenses. For example, one portrait shows the
    > : > "big nose" effect of a face taken with a wide(ish) lens held close to the
    > : > subject but many show the slightly flat effect of a short telephoto a
    > : > distance back.
    > : >
    > : > If he does work from photos his work is remarkable enough, if he doesn't it
    > : > is even more so but then the question would be; if he has such command of
    > : > lighting and perspective why imitate that of the camera?
    > :
    > : Because we have enough abstract art from untalented people to last
    > : forever?

    If the abstract is from an untalented person, it may very well not be
    art. Minimalists have filled up galleries, with statements posing as
    art. Yet minimalism can also be art, even in photography. However all
    of this leads to a discussion of "what is art." I leave that to another
    thread.

    > Amen.

    I suspect we have more photographs masquerading as art, than
    abstractions from untalented people.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Feb 1, 2013
  17. RichA

    Rob Guest

    On 2/02/2013 3:25 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Friday, February 1, 2013 12:19:04 PM UTC, Rob wrote:

    >>> No it isn;t he has a photograpih memory it seems where as someone that knows what day Christmas falls on in the year 3517, uses calculation based algorighm I doubt his seen a 3517 calander well there's none on ebay presently ;-)

    >>> The university where he studies was almost closed down by the govenment recently due to immigration concerns.

    >>> So did you know more or less than the 7 year old with the iPad ? as it's not clear whether or not you know more than he does or just difernt things which are relivant at the time.

    >> Just a thought: Its not so much relevant now but using a computer
    >>
    >> (screen) will it be effecting the eyesight of the 7 year old for future
    >>
    >> years?

    > I would assume so in the same way that boks do or why is it that clever or people or geeks are porytrayed as wearing glasses ?
    > Kids at my school when I was 7-16 had glasses and there was no such thing as an iPad, in fact Apple didn't exist other than as a music corp.

    No books are not backlit.

    >> I know its not helpful to me exercising my eyes, but makes them sore.

    > I've heard that too perhaps you need classes, it's friday and I need one or two glasses too, but I'll probbely drink from the bottle ;-)

    Usually end up 12many.

    Rob, Feb 3, 2013