    I am in the process of pulling scraping, scratching, and generally making
    hard work of it.
    There must be a geezer way?

    Annette Kurten, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Annette Kurten

    Old Gringo Guest

    Annette Kurten wrote:
    > O.K as this is a help desk,
    > I need a smart arse male to tell me how do I get all the oldish mastic from
    > around the bath.
    > I am in the process of pulling scraping, scratching, and generally making
    > hard work of it.
    > There must be a geezer way?

    Utility knife cut bottom to wall and back wall to tub.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Annette Kurten

    Hans Guest

    Annette

    Yes, there is a Penn type bleach, called Bleach Pen made by Clorox.....

    Try it.......it works on most such applications, if they aren't all too
    mucked up.

    Good Luck!

    Hans

    Hans, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Annette Kurten

    DaveW Guest

    > O.K as this is a help desk,
    > I need a smart arse male to tell me how do I get all the oldish
    > mastic from
    > around the bath.
    > I am in the process of pulling scraping, scratching, and generally
    > making
    > hard work of it.
    > There must be a geezer way?

    This sounds a lot like a troll....
    But if you go to alt.home.repair and ask nicely you may find
    someone there that can suggest an geezer way, and if you are lucky
    it might even be a smart arse male.

    DaveW, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Annette Kurten

    soup Guest

    Annette Kurten popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
    and said
    > O.K as this is a help desk,
    > I need a smart arse male to tell me how do I get all the oldish
    > mastic from around the bath.
    > I am in the process of pulling scraping, scratching, and generally
    > making hard work of it.
    > There must be a geezer way?

    Sorry but sometimes there are no shortcuts, mechanicaly
    (without causing damage) remove as much of the mastic
    as possible. Then apply a silicone sealant remover (assuming
    the "mastic" is some form of silicon sealant) brand I use is
    "Unibond" availlable at B&Q et al in a 150ml tube, may be
    available in aerosols etc the instructions say leave for 2_4
    hours, have found 4-5 better, then remove the sticky gunk
    left over with a damp cloth and possibly a green pad remember
    the final rinse of meths or any new sealant applied will not
    adhere properly as it starts to dissolve at the junction

    --
    yours S

    soup, Apr 10, 2005
  6. Annette Kurten

    phrogee Guest

    phrogee, Apr 10, 2005
  7. "DaveW" <-this-munge.net> wrote in message

    > "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    > > O.K as this is a help desk,
    > > I need a smart arse male to tell me how do I get all the oldish
    > > mastic from
    > > around the bath.
    > > I am in the process of pulling scraping, scratching, and generally
    > > making
    > > hard work of it.
    > > There must be a geezer way?
    > >

    > This sounds a lot like a troll....
    > But if you go to alt.home.repair and ask nicely you may find
    > someone there that can suggest an geezer way, and if you are lucky
    > it might even be a smart arse male.

    Thank you , not trolling by the way, I've got a DIY manual explains how to
    put it on, but not a mention of how hard it is to get off.

    Annette Kurten, Apr 10, 2005
  8. Annette Kurten

    soup Guest

    soup popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
    > Annette Kurten popped their head over the parapet saw what was going
    > on and said
    > > O.K as this is a help desk,
    > > I need a smart arse male to tell me how do I get all the oldish
    > > mastic from around the bath.
    > > I am in the process of pulling scraping, scratching, and generally
    > > making hard work of it.
    > > There must be a geezer way?

    > Sorry but sometimes there are no shortcuts, mechanicaly
    > (without causing damage) remove as much of the mastic
    > as possible. Then apply a silicone sealant remover (assuming
    > the "mastic" is some form of silicon sealant) brand I use is
    > "Unibond" availlable at B&Q et al in a 150ml tube, may be
    > available in aerosols etc the instructions say leave for 2_4
    > hours, have found 4-5 better, then remove the sticky gunk
    > left over with a damp cloth and possibly a green pad remember
    > the final rinse of meths or any new sealant applied will not
    > adhere properly as it starts to dissolve at the junction

    Instructions on the tube talk of removing the gunk
    with a dry cloth been so long since I actually used
    this that I am unsure what I did.

    --
    yours S

    soup, Apr 10, 2005
  9. "soup" <> wrote in message
    > soup popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
    > > Annette Kurten popped their head over the parapet saw what was going
    > > on and said
    > > > O.K as this is a help desk,
    > > > I need a smart arse male to tell me how do I get all the oldish
    > > > mastic from around the bath.
    > > > I am in the process of pulling scraping, scratching, and generally
    > > > making hard work of it.
    > > > There must be a geezer way?

    > > Sorry but sometimes there are no shortcuts, mechanicaly
    > > (without causing damage) remove as much of the mastic
    > > as possible. Then apply a silicone sealant remover (assuming
    > > the "mastic" is some form of silicon sealant) brand I use is
    > > "Unibond" availlable at B&Q et al in a 150ml tube, may be
    > > available in aerosols etc the instructions say leave for 2_4
    > > hours, have found 4-5 better, then remove the sticky gunk
    > > left over with a damp cloth and possibly a green pad remember
    > > the final rinse of meths or any new sealant applied will not
    > > adhere properly as it starts to dissolve at the junction

    > Instructions on the tube talk of removing the gunk
    > with a dry cloth been so long since I actually used
    > this that I am unsure what I did.
    >
    > --
    > yours S
    >
    > Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

    Thanxs for that

    Annette Kurten, Apr 10, 2005
  10. Annette Kurten

    DaveW Guest

    > "DaveW" <-this-munge.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Annette Kurten" <> wrote in message
    >> > O.K as this is a help desk,
    >> > I need a smart arse male to tell me how do I get all the oldish
    >> > mastic from
    >> > around the bath.
    >> > I am in the process of pulling scraping, scratching, and
    >> > generally
    >> > making
    >> > hard work of it.
    >> > There must be a geezer way?
    >> >

    >> This sounds a lot like a troll....
    >> But if you go to alt.home.repair and ask nicely you may find
    >> someone there that can suggest an geezer way, and if you are
    >> lucky
    >> it might even be a smart arse male.
    >>

    > Thank you , not trolling by the way, I've got a DIY manual
    > explains how to
    > put it on, but not a mention of how hard it is to get off.

    Unfortunately that is the case more often than not.
    If it is truly "mastic" which I doubt it is, a heat gun would be a
    big help.
    Again I suggest alt.home.repair as a place you are more likely to
    get more suggestions from.
    I don't wish to debate "not off subject" because by pointing you in
    a better direction I have legitimized your asking your question
    here. I only say this because I have been flamed in the past for
    doing the very same thing but it is an undeniable fact that computer
    people tend to hang out here and DIY people tend to hang out there.
    Good luck with your project. It's a dirty job but somebody's got to
    do it. ;-)

    DaveW, Apr 10, 2005