    but I'm not too worried about that as this is only a small home setup.

    HELP!!

    sidcliffe --- ( what a can of worms is this networking)

    sidcliffe, Oct 3, 2006

  2. sidcliffe

    Lem Guest

    sidcliffe wrote:
    > for me, as I'm a very old newbie,but here's hoping!
    >
    > Main PC - Win XP Home - Athlone XP 2200 -1.0 GB RAM
    > Laptop - Win XP Media Center - Pentium M 1.7Ghz -760 RAM.
    >
    > LAN set up has been working fine,Laptop shows good signal strength.
    > Main PC connects to the internet with no problem, but the Laptop shows
    > "The page cannot be displayed" message. I have checked all the
    > internet connections suggested in this message and all are fine.
    > Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate
    > correct internet connection.
    >
    > Oh! by the way, the file sharing between the two has stopped working,
    > but I'm not too worried about that as this is only a small home setup.
    >
    > HELP!!
    >
    > sidcliffe --- ( what a can of worms is this networking)

    It's not clear from your post, but it sounds as if your main pc is
    connected to a router via Ethernet and the laptop connects via wireless.

    If that's so, the first thing to check is whether you're really
    connected to what you think you are. Regardless of the signal strength,
    when you hover the mouse over the wireless network icon, does it say
    that you are connected to your SSID? And did you change the SSID of
    your router to a non-default value?

    Also see, http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

    Lem, Oct 3, 2006

  3. sidcliffe

    Guest

    On 3-Oct-2006, "sidcliffe" <> wrote:

    > Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate
    > correct internet connection.

    Trying ipconfig /all on working, and not working, then comparing results
    is usually a good starting point.
    Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    then use ipconfig /all <CR>
    or if you want the output in a file
    ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt <CR>
    and you should then have ipconfig.txt in your root C:\ drive.
    Both machines should show the same Gateway, DHCP servers,
    and IP address range (the bit starting 10.0.0.nnn) etc
    If one m/c starts 10.0.0.nnn then the other should start with a 10.0.0.nnn
    with the last nnn different.
    Stuff like
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    , Oct 3, 2006
  4. sidcliffe

    David Hettel Guest

    IP address in the 10.XXX.XXX.XXX and in the 192.168.XXX.XXX ranges are what
    I would expect, with the 192.168.xxx.xxx the most likely range. And IP
    address in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range an indication that the computer is not
    connected to the access point. Where XXX can be any number between 1 and 254

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel, Oct 4, 2006
  5. sidcliffe

    David Hettel Guest

    It sounds to me as if you are not connected to the network on the laptop.
    If you go | Start (menu) | Run.. | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all [Enter] |
    what values are you getting for the IP address and Gateway? Does the LAN
    adapter IP address begins with 169.254.xxx.xxx?

    There is an very good trouble shooter for network problems on this page, try
    working through the page; http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    David Hettel, Oct 4, 2006
  6. sidcliffe

    Guest

    when you got an ip of 169.254.x.x, that's mean your computer can't
    connect to LAN, so it's giving you a private ip address of 169.254.x.x
    this would be caused by registry crash. here's how to fix it:
    click start > run > regedit > browse to
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ > delete the folders winsock
    and winsock 2 > restart your computer. Then start > control pannel >
    network connection > tools > folder options > view tab > ensure that
    show hidden files and folders is selected > ok. Right click on local
    area connection then click on propertys > install > protocal > have
    disk > browse > browse to the c:\windows\inf folder > find the file
    called nettcpip.inf > click open > ok > choose tcp/ip then click ok >
    close out of propertys and network connections > restart your computer.

    and also there's a good article about it at
    http://slees.net/2006/09/25/ip-169254xx/

    David Hettel wrote:

    > It sounds to me as if you are not connected to the network on the laptop.
    > If you go | Start (menu) | Run.. | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all [Enter] |
    > what values are you getting for the IP address and Gateway? Does the LAN
    > adapter IP address begins with 169.254.xxx.xxx?
    >
    > There is an very good trouble shooter for network problems on this page, try
    > working through the page; http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    >
    > --
    > David Hettel

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
    > confers no rights
    >
    > "sidcliffe" <> wrote in message
    > > for me, as I'm a very old newbie,but here's hoping!
    > >
    > > Main PC - Win XP Home - Athlone XP 2200 -1.0 GB RAM
    > > Laptop - Win XP Media Center - Pentium M 1.7Ghz -760 RAM.
    > >
    > > LAN set up has been working fine,Laptop shows good signal strength.
    > > Main PC connects to the internet with no problem, but the Laptop shows
    > > "The page cannot be displayed" message. I have checked all the internet
    > > connections suggested in this message and all are fine.
    > > Where and how do I check the settings on the Laptop to re-instate correct
    > > internet connection.
    > >
    > > Oh! by the way, the file sharing between the two has stopped working, but
    > > I'm not too worried about that as this is only a small home setup.
    > >
    > > HELP!!
    > >
    > > sidcliffe --- ( what a can of worms is this networking)

    , Oct 5, 2006
  7. sidcliffe

    sidcliffe Guest

    David,
    I am trying hard to absorb all the advice given but keep getting lost
    somewhere.
    -I must mention I'm ("four score and hoping for more!")-

    Here's some of my info. perhaps we can go step by step from there.
    Router is a D-Link DSL-G624T with Ethernet cable to Main PC.

    MAIN PC --
    1.ipconfig /all- showed under "
    :-IP Address ...192.168.x.x
    The 2 small monitor icons in quick launch bar show " Local Area
    Connection-Speed 100Mbps-Status Connected"
    As I have said there is no problem connecting the Main PC to the
    Internet.

    LAPTOP--
    1.When I entered :- Start (menu) | Run.. | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all
    among the mass of info. under "Connection"I found:-
    IP Address ...192.168.x.x ( I assume giving full address is not
    advisable)
    2.Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2
    Description - Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet --
    3..The 2 small monitor icons in quick launch bar state " Local Area
    Connection2- A network cable is unplugged"
    4.There is also a single small monitor icon (showing waves)which
    states
    "Wireless Network Connection-Speed 54.0 Mbps-Signal strength
    Excellent-Status Connected

    Is any of this relevant to you, in helping me ?

    sidcliffe

    sidcliffe, Oct 5, 2006
  8. sidcliffe

    David Hettel Guest

    Seems to me you've got something funny going on. I believe from the name
    that the Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet is a 10/100 NIC and not
    your wireless NIC. So if you have the laptop plugged into the router by wire
    this would make sense, if it's not, and I'm right in thinking that the
    Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet is a hi-speed wired NIC, then
    this is not good.

    When you did the ipconfig /all I believe something should have come up as
    Wireless Network connection with something like what I have below listed
    under it.

    This is the icon for your wireless network;
    There is also a single small monitor icon (showing waves)which
    states
    "Wireless Network Connection- is there a name here?
    Speed 54.0 Mbps-
    Signal strength Excellent-
    Status Connected"

    If you right click on it and then click on Open Network Connections, how
    many icons do you see under LAN or High-Speed Internet? What are the names.

    If I am going to fast, or I am not making sense please ask and I'll try to
    explain better, or why I am asking what I am asking.

    David Hettel, Oct 5, 2006
  9. sidcliffe

    Lem Guest

    sidcliffe wrote:
    > David,
    > I am trying hard to absorb all the advice given but keep getting lost
    > somewhere.
    > -I must mention I'm ("four score and hoping for more!")-
    >
    > Here's some of my info. perhaps we can go step by step from there.
    > Router is a D-Link DSL-G624T with Ethernet cable to Main PC.
    >
    > MAIN PC --
    > 1.ipconfig /all- showed under "
    > :-IP Address ...192.168.x.x
    > The 2 small monitor icons in quick launch bar show " Local Area
    > Connection-Speed 100Mbps-Status Connected"
    > As I have said there is no problem connecting the Main PC to the
    > Internet.
    >
    > LAPTOP--
    > 1.When I entered :- Start (menu) | Run.. | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all
    > among the mass of info. under "Connection"I found:-
    > IP Address ...192.168.x.x ( I assume giving full address is not
    > advisable)
    > 2.Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2
    > Description - Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet --
    > 3..The 2 small monitor icons in quick launch bar state " Local Area
    > Connection2- A network cable is unplugged"
    > 4.There is also a single small monitor icon (showing waves)which
    > states
    > "Wireless Network Connection-Speed 54.0 Mbps-Signal strength
    > Excellent-Status Connected
    >
    > Is any of this relevant to you, in helping me ?
    >
    > sidcliffe

    You're getting there.

    First of all, it doesn't hurt to give the full IP address. IP addresses
    beginning 192.168.x.x are local to your own network -- nobody on the
    other side of the router (i.e., the Internet) can see these addresses.
    -- and everyone with a router has the same (or similar) local addresses
    (a bit of an exaggeration, but not much).

    Second, and more importantly for your issue, what you need to do is
    determine what wireless network you are connected to. The fact that
    your laptop shows an IP address of 192.168.x.x establishes that your
    laptop is indeed connected to a router, but the question is, is it yours
    or someone else's?

    BTW, the output from ipconfig /all on your laptop should have shown
    __two__ adapters. The "Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet" is a
    wired adapter, just like the one in your main pc. There should be an
    entry under this heading that says something like "media disconnected."
    Your second adapter is your wifi adapter, and I hope that it's under
    this second adapter that you found the 192.168.x.x IP address.

    The message in your notification area that says "Local Area
    Connection2- A network cable is unplugged" just reflects the fact that
    the Realtek RTL adapter in your laptop is not connected via Ethernet
    cable to anything. The other message -- for the icon with the "waves"
    is the wireless connection. But it should tell you the NAME of the
    network to which you are connected. I don't have a wireless adapter
    here, and I forget if you right click and select "status" or double
    click, but try to get to the "Wireless network connection status"
    dialog. It should look like this:
    http://www.screenshots.modemhelp.ne...ons/Wireless_Network_Connection/General.shtml

    What's important now is the second line. That is, what is shown in the
    figure linked above as "NETGEAR". Is this the same thing you named your
    network when you set up your router? If you don't remember, here's how
    to find out:

    1. Go to your main computer and open a web browser.
    2. [You said you have a D-Link DSL-G624T; did you mean DSL-G604T? I
    can't find a DSL-G624T on the D-Link site] Enter 192.168.1.1 in the
    address bar and click Go.
    3. Login to your router. The default User ID is admin and the default
    password is admin.
    4. Click on the "Wireless" button. You should see a window across from
    the heading "SSID". This is the name of your network. If you haven't
    done so already, you should change this to something unique (but not
    your last name) and click "apply."
    5. This is also the place where you set up your wireless security, but
    let's leave that for next time.
    6. Once you have confirmed or remembered your SSID, you can tell if the
    network to which you were connected was yours or a nearby neighbor's.

    --
    Lem -- To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    MS-MVP

    Lem, Oct 5, 2006
  10. sidcliffe

    sidcliffe Guest

    Thanks David, I feel we might be making progress.
    LAPTOP
    Wireless Network Connection- is there a name here==
    YES it is .. KM_Wireless
    LAN or High-Speed Internet? What are the names
    They read across as follows :-
    1.Local Area Connection 2 - LAN or High-Speed Internet -Network cable
    unplugged -Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

    2.1394 Connection - LAN or High-Speed Internet - Connected - 1394 Net
    Adapter

    3.Wireless Network Connection -LAN or High-Speed
    Internet -Connected -Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    MAIN PC
    1.Local Area Connection - LAN or High-Speed Internet -Connected -VIA
    Rhine 11 Fast Ethernet Adapter.

    This is the only line in the Main PC Network Connections

    Still with hope , and thanks

    Sidcliffe

    sidcliffe, Oct 6, 2006
  11. sidcliffe

    sidcliffe Guest

    sidcliffe, Oct 6, 2006
  12. sidcliffe

    sidcliffe Guest

    Bingo! Eureka! etc.etc.
    I followed your instructions Andreas and it has sorted the problem,many
    thanks to you, and to all you other folks who contributed.
    What a great NG.

    sidcliffe

    sidcliffe, Oct 6, 2006