    Has anybody got a sound card that works?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Sep 4, 2007

  2. thingy

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:53:41 +1200, thingy <> wrote:

    >I want to use a MIC in BF2142, I have tried onboard sound and two
    >different motherbaords, plus a CL Audity 2 all of them work the MIC
    >fine in XP and even in the BF2142 audio test mode....but when i start
    >the game, nothing....
    >
    >Has anybody got a sound card that works?
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    You do need a Good Sound card for fast 3D Games and AUX 3-4 if not the CPU gets all the sound
    load..

    I have a Audity 2 ZS so what are you trying to do..?
    Greg House, Sep 4, 2007

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:53:41 +1200, thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >> I want to use a MIC in BF2142, I have tried onboard sound and two
    >> different motherbaords, plus a CL Audity 2 all of them work the MIC
    >> fine in XP and even in the BF2142 audio test mode....but when i start
    >> the game, nothing....
    >>
    >> Has anybody got a sound card that works?
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > You do need a Good Sound card for fast 3D Games and AUX 3-4 if not the CPU gets all the sound
    > load..

    yes I know....handing over to the CPU even if the CPU is powerful never
    works too well there are always glitches. I will be getting a good sound
    card for my second machine in the future....just need an idea of what
    will work.

    > I have a Audity 2 ZS so what are you trying to do..?

    OK,

    I have two machines.

    On both I have failed to get the MIC in to work with Battlefield 2142...

    On one (P4 2200Mhz) I have the above card (but it has the platimun pro
    external extension)...Mic works in XP and the BF2142 headset setup
    program, and anything else like Teamspeak etc but the second the game
    starts it goes dead....

    On the second machine (AMD 4000x2) it has/had reltek on board sound,
    same issue. Last night I disabled the on board sound and I installed an
    old pci yamaha wave sound card which has an ess chipset, again fine in
    everything except actually running BF2142 for the MIC...

    Got me stumped....assume its a issue with BF2142....googling has turned
    up no solutions but people having similar problems...I could buy the
    later Creative sound card as recommended by the game, (but i think that
    is marketing crap) but since the one I have is almost as good, capable
    and very similar I am reluctant to spend $ to be in the same position...

    The Second machine I built last weekend so its a fresh XP install, the
    other is 3~4months old so not "tired". It is an upgrade to win2k, but it
    is a new disks and not a copy over...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Sep 4, 2007
  4. thingy

    thingy Guest

    This is what I have at present,

    http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=SN00008

    Considering this,

    http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AGW00838

    but my preference is for an audio card for recording, so this,

    http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=CMP0051

    As I am looking to have a silent machine for sound recording purposes......

    If I can, I would like to simply move the pro to the new box and get a
    good enough sound card just for gaming....if possible under $100 but it
    needs to be doing its share of the work and not leaving it to the
    CPU....ie an expensive dumb sound card like the genius crap is not an
    option....waste of money...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Sep 4, 2007
  5. thingy

    sam Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > This is what I have at present,
    >
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=SN00008
    >
    > Considering this,
    >
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AGW00838
    >
    > but my preference is for an audio card for recording, so this,
    >
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=CMP0051
    >
    > As I am looking to have a silent machine for sound recording purposes......
    >
    > If I can, I would like to simply move the pro to the new box and get a
    > good enough sound card just for gaming....if possible under $100 but it
    > needs to be doing its share of the work and not leaving it to the
    > CPU....ie an expensive dumb sound card like the genius crap is not an
    > option....waste of money...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    If you want to do some recording I'd suggest a Presonus Firebox or a
    Tascam US122L or similar external with level controls. Or an Edirol UA1-EX.
    Plugging stuff into a card is pretty inconvenient and having a separate
    interface allows you to location record with a laptop.
    I don't know anything about what is required for gaming, I assume
    onboard sound should be good enough by now.
    sam, Sep 5, 2007
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    sam wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> This is what I have at present,
    >>
    >> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=SN00008
    >>
    >> Considering this,
    >>
    >> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AGW00838
    >>
    >> but my preference is for an audio card for recording, so this,
    >>
    >> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=CMP0051
    >>
    >> As I am looking to have a silent machine for sound recording
    >> purposes......
    >>
    >> If I can, I would like to simply move the pro to the new box and get a
    >> good enough sound card just for gaming....if possible under $100 but
    >> it needs to be doing its share of the work and not leaving it to the
    >> CPU....ie an expensive dumb sound card like the genius crap is not an
    >> option....waste of money...
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > If you want to do some recording I'd suggest a Presonus Firebox or a
    > Tascam US122L or similar external with level controls. Or an Edirol UA1-EX.
    > Plugging stuff into a card is pretty inconvenient and having a separate
    > interface allows you to location record with a laptop.

    yep, I have an external unit at present, so yes I would rather keep to a
    firewire capable external setup, but that is a bit more...we shall see....

    > I don't know anything about what is required for gaming, I assume
    > onboard sound should be good enough by now.

    Not really...well I'm not impressed with it....

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Sep 5, 2007