    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Nov 23, 2009

  3. RichA

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Nov 23, 2009
  4. RichA

    Glen Guest

    Glen, Nov 23, 2009
  5. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    C J Campbell <> wrote:
    >On 2009-11-22 17:37:16 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:
    >
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=33770272

    >> At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?

    >Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors <gasp> hunting!

    You're missing the point.

    > Of
    >course, we all know that the photographs on the original

    It's the fact that Nikon is SPONSORING the event that is the issue.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Nov 23, 2009
  6. RichA

    Matt Ion Guest

    On 23/11/2009 9:13 AM, C J Campbell wrote:
    > On 2009-11-22 21:46:06 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:
    >
    >> C J Campbell <> wrote:

    >>> Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors <gasp> hunting!

    >> You're missing the point.
    >>
    >>> Of
    >>> course, we all know that the photographs on the original

    >> It's the fact that Nikon is SPONSORING the event that is the issue.

    > I guess I am just not shocked at the idea that a company that
    > manufactures hunting supplies might sponsor hunting contests.
    >
    > But then, I was born in Idaho...
    >
    > I loved the one comment on the thread -- the assertion that children
    > exposed to such twisted violence must grow up to be psychopaths. I guess
    > that explains why all third world countries and practically everyone who
    > was born before 1960 or who ever lived on a farm, or anyone else who
    > does not buy their meat in neat little plastic wrapped packages, is a
    > psychopath, eh? Better watch out! I am a dangerous psychopath! But you
    > probably knew that all along.

    Guess that includes me too, then... and everyone else I went to school
    with. I suppose the fact that hunter education was part of the Grade 8
    curriculum means we're state-created psychopaths.

    Matt Ion, Nov 23, 2009
  7. RichA

    Private Guest

    "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-11-22 17:37:16 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:
    >
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=33770272

    >> At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?

    > Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors <gasp> hunting! Of
    > course, we all know that the photographs on the original
    > anti-hunting/anti-Nikon web site are real, depict that actual event, and
    > are unretouched, right?
    >
    > And now, for the lighter side of predator hunting, I bring you this actual
    > NTSB report, just in case you think the hunters always win:
    >
    > SEA02LA058
    > On March 25, 2002, about 0720 mountain standard time, a Piper PA-18-150,
    > N22EV, sustained substantial damage after colliding with terrain near Fort
    > Peck, Montana. The airplane is owned by the pilot, and was being operated
    > as a visual flight rules (VFR) flight under the provisions of Title 14,
    > CFR Part 91. The commercial pilot-in-command and passenger sustained
    > serious injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight
    > plan was filed.??The pilot was conducting a predator (coyote) control
    > flight over private rangeland near Fort Peck. During the flight, at a
    > reported altitude of approximately 40 feet above ground level (AGL), the
    > passenger inadvertently discharged a semiautomatic 12-gauge shotgun. The
    > pilot, who was seated in the forward seat, reported that the gun fired 3-4
    > times, striking the right wing, fuel tank and aileron assembly. He
    > reported that the damage resulted in a loss of aileron and elevator
    > control. The airplane entered a descending turn to the right and
    > subsequently impacted terrain in a nose-low attitude. The pilot reported
    > the aircraft was on fire upon touchdown and continued to burn after the
    > impact. ??The pilot reported that there were no preexisting mechanical
    > malfunctions or failures that contributed to the accident. ?
    >
    > --
    > Waddling Eagle
    > World Famous Flight Instructor

    The NTSB database contains many similar crash reports involving low level
    shooting activities in&from Cubs and similar aircraft. Most are stall-spin
    and CFIT but IIRC a surprising number are also directly gunshot related.
    IMHO, The activities cost outcomes seem to be greater than any marginal and
    temporary benefit.

    Happy landings,

    Private, Nov 24, 2009