not enough server storage to process this command

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Leanin' Cedar, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. Dell desktop host, two laptops; all running XP SP2

    All was working ok; file and printer sharing between all three PCs. The only
    change I have made was uninstalling Norton System Works 2005 on the Dell
    desktop and one laptop and installed NOD32 antivirus.

    All three pcs can be seen on the network, both laptops can share files with
    each other and can see the Dell. Both laptops can share the internet
    (dialup) and the printer connected to the Dell desktop. I can access the
    shared files on both laptops from the Dell.

    If I try to access files on the desktop from the laptops I get the subject
    error message.

    If I try to access the files on the Dell by going to network
    places>Microsoft windows network>mshome; the Dell shows along with the
    laptops, clicking on the Dell brings up a list of folders and clicking on a
    folder gives me the error msg.

    I can ping all of the pcs from each pc, I can ping the loopback IP on the
    Dell

    I have changed the decimal value in the registry for the parameters to 21
    and still no luck.

    I have shutdown the pc, unplugged the router (although there does not appear
    to be any problem there) restarted the router and then the PC. After a lot
    of Google, one idea was after changing the registry value the router could
    still be a cause of the error msg.

    I have a feeling it has to do with the Norton and NOD32 change on the Dell,
    but it went OK on the laptop.

    Thanks for any ideas, I have Googled for a week on this thinking I could get
    it working but no luck

    I use ZA for my firewall on all three machines. Everything is OK with the IP
    addresses in the trusted range.

    Bob

    Leanin' Cedar, Jan 14, 2007

  2. Leanin' Cedar

    Malke Guest

    Leanin' Cedar wrote:

    > Dell desktop host, two laptops; all running XP SP2
    >
    > All was working ok; file and printer sharing between all three PCs. The
    > only change I have made was uninstalling Norton System Works 2005 on the
    > Dell desktop and one laptop and installed NOD32 antivirus.
    >
    > All three pcs can be seen on the network, both laptops can share files
    > with each other and can see the Dell. Both laptops can share the internet
    > (dialup) and the printer connected to the Dell desktop. I can access the
    > shared files on both laptops from the Dell.
    >
    > If I try to access files on the desktop from the laptops I get the subject
    > error message.
    >
    > If I try to access the files on the Dell by going to network
    > places>Microsoft windows network>mshome; the Dell shows along with the
    > laptops, clicking on the Dell brings up a list of folders and clicking on
    > a folder gives me the error msg.
    >
    > I can ping all of the pcs from each pc, I can ping the loopback IP on the
    > Dell
    >
    > I have changed the decimal value in the registry for the parameters to 21
    > and still no luck.
    >
    > I have shutdown the pc, unplugged the router (although there does not
    > appear to be any problem there) restarted the router and then the PC.
    > After a lot of Google, one idea was after changing the registry value the
    > router could still be a cause of the error msg.
    >
    > I have a feeling it has to do with the Norton and NOD32 change on the
    > Dell, but it went OK on the laptop.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas, I have Googled for a week on this thinking I could
    > get it working but no luck
    >
    > I use ZA for my firewall on all three machines. Everything is OK with the
    > IP addresses in the trusted range.

    Not enough server storage is available to process this command error - by
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna

    This error indicates that you are falling foul of the IRPStackSize bug. The
    problem is on the machine you are attempting to connect to, not the machine
    where you see the error message. On the computer you are attempting to
    connect to, check the event viewer for an event ID 2011.

    Usual fix : You need to fix a parameter called IRPStackSize

    On the computer you are attempting to connect to, Set the IRPStackSize back
    to the default (15 ). Perform the following steps:

    1. Start regedit.
    2. Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters.
    3. Double-click IRPStackSize (or if this registry setting doesn't exist,
    create it with type DWORD and ensure the case is correct).
    4. Change the base to decimal, set the value to 15, and click OK.
    5. Reboot the computer.

    Norton AV is usual suspect for breaking it. There's a KB article about this,
    too:

    Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;177078

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Jan 14, 2007

  3. "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > Not enough server storage is available to process this command error - by
    > MVP Hans-Georg Michna
    >
    > This error indicates that you are falling foul of the IRPStackSize bug.
    > The
    > problem is on the machine you are attempting to connect to, not the
    > machine
    > where you see the error message. On the computer you are attempting to
    > connect to, check the event viewer for an event ID 2011.
    >
    > Usual fix : You need to fix a parameter called IRPStackSize
    >
    > On the computer you are attempting to connect to, Set the IRPStackSize
    > back
    > to the default (15 ). Perform the following steps:
    >
    > 1. Start regedit.
    > 2. Navigate to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters.
    > 3. Double-click IRPStackSize (or if this registry setting doesn't exist,
    > create it with type DWORD and ensure the case is correct).
    > 4. Change the base to decimal, set the value to 15, and click OK.
    > 5. Reboot the computer.
    >
    > Norton AV is usual suspect for breaking it. There's a KB article about
    > this,
    > too:
    >
    > Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;177078
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    That did it, I found other information about increasing the stacksize,
    resetting to 15 solved it. I also had the ID 2011

    Thanks
    Bob

    Leanin' Cedar, Jan 14, 2007
  4. Leanin' Cedar

    Malke Guest

    Leanin' Cedar wrote:

    > That did it, I found other information about increasing the stacksize,
    > resetting to 15 solved it. I also had the ID 2011

    Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 14, 2007