    Using Win xp Pro 1.6(I think) Ghz Athlone, 256 Mbytes memory and a 40 gig
    hard drive. and nero 6.3.0.2
    Thanks Tricia
    Tricia, Feb 17, 2005

  2. On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:09:34 -0000, "Tricia"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi I have just installed an NEC 3520A on a friend's computer then used DVD
    >Shrink to transfer a DVD to the hard disk. However when it came to write
    >the blank disk I got an error message that the blank disk did not have
    >enough room to write the files. Yet on my own computer using the same
    >settings I have no problem. Any ideas?
    >
    >Using Win xp Pro 1.6(I think) Ghz Athlone, 256 Mbytes memory and a 40 gig
    >hard drive. and nero 6.3.0.2
    >Thanks Tricia

    If the drive is Fat32, which has a 4 gig limit then, you'll get that
    message since a full DVD is 4.36 gigs. Your own computer probably
    uses NTFS as the file system which has no real limit for file size.

    ... Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 17, 2005

  3. Tricia

    Tricia Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:09:34 -0000, "Tricia"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi I have just installed an NEC 3520A on a friend's computer then used DVD
    >>Shrink to transfer a DVD to the hard disk. However when it came to write
    >>the blank disk I got an error message that the blank disk did not have
    >>enough room to write the files. Yet on my own computer using the same
    >>settings I have no problem. Any ideas?
    >>
    >>Using Win xp Pro 1.6(I think) Ghz Athlone, 256 Mbytes memory and a 40 gig
    >>hard drive. and nero 6.3.0.2
    >>Thanks Tricia
    >>

    > If the drive is Fat32, which has a 4 gig limit then, you'll get that
    > message since a full DVD is 4.36 gigs. Your own computer probably
    > uses NTFS as the file system which has no real limit for file size.
    >
    > .. Steve .

    There was NOT ENOUGH ROOM. on the BLANK DISK! My own computer is fat 32.
    Tricia
    Tricia, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Tricia

    Large Farva Guest

    How big are the files on the hard drive? If they are bigger than 4.3 gig
    then they won't fit.

    Large Farva, Feb 18, 2005
  5. On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:26:27 -0000, "Tricia"
    <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:09:34 -0000, "Tricia"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi I have just installed an NEC 3520A on a friend's computer then used DVD
    >>>Shrink to transfer a DVD to the hard disk. However when it came to write
    >>>the blank disk I got an error message that the blank disk did not have
    >>>enough room to write the files. Yet on my own computer using the same
    >>>settings I have no problem. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Using Win xp Pro 1.6(I think) Ghz Athlone, 256 Mbytes memory and a 40 gig
    >>>hard drive. and nero 6.3.0.2
    >>>Thanks Tricia
    >>>

    >> If the drive is Fat32, which has a 4 gig limit then, you'll get that
    >> message since a full DVD is 4.36 gigs. Your own computer probably
    >> uses NTFS as the file system which has no real limit for file size.
    >>
    >> .. Steve .

    >There was NOT ENOUGH ROOM. on the BLANK DISK! My own computer is fat 32.
    >Tricia

    Yes but Tricia, if you are using Fat32 the hard drive will not be able
    to hold a full DVDimage. DVDshrink's manual specifies that the drive
    being used for the rip must be NTFS. If the dvd is ripped to a Fat32
    drive as a full size image it will be corrupted, the last 300+ megs
    can't be read, and therefore can not be copied to the DVD. So my
    original comment stands.

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 18, 2005
  6. Tricia

    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:26:27 -0000, "Tricia"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    >>> If the drive is Fat32, which has a 4 gig limit then, you'll get that
    >>> message since a full DVD is 4.36 gigs. Your own computer probably
    >>> uses NTFS as the file system which has no real limit for file size.
    >>>
    >>> .. Steve .

    >>There was NOT ENOUGH ROOM. on the BLANK DISK! My own computer is fat 32.
    >>Tricia

    > Yes but Tricia, if you are using Fat32 the hard drive will not be able
    > to hold a full DVDimage. DVDshrink's manual specifies that the drive
    > being used for the rip must be NTFS. If the dvd is ripped to a Fat32
    > drive as a full size image it will be corrupted, the last 300+ megs
    > can't be read, and therefore can not be copied to the DVD. So my
    > original comment stands.
    >
    > . Steve ..

    It is not being ripped as a single file. It is being ripped as .vob files.
    Your answer still does not explain why my computer will burn the files but
    my friends does not.
    Tricia
    Tricia, Feb 18, 2005
  7. Tricia

    Tricia Guest

    "Large Farva" <> wrote in message
    > How big are the files on the hard drive? If they are bigger than 4.3 gig
    > then they won't fit.

    The files will not fit on the BLANK DISK after they have been ripped to the
    hard disk by DVDShrink The files are not bigger than 4.3 gig. The same movie
    will rip and burn on my computer. The files are

    974,848 VIDEO_TS.VOB
    73,095,168 VTS_01_0.VOB
    1,073,739,776 VTS_01_1.VOB
    1,073,739,776 VTS_01_2.VOB
    1,073,739,776 VTS_01_3.VOB
    706,633,728 VTS_01_4.VOB
    75,776 VTS_01_0.IFO
    75,776 VTS_01_0.BUP
    90,112 VTS_02_0.VOB
    1,316,864 VTS_02_1.VOB
    18,432 VTS_02_0.IFO
    18,432 VTS_02_0.BUP
    572,438,528 VTS_03_1.VOB
    32,768 VTS_03_0.IFO
    32,768 VTS_03_0.BUP
    10,240 VTS_04_0.VOB
    112,082,944 VTS_04_1.VOB
    20,480 VTS_04_0.IFO
    20,480 VTS_04_0.BUP
    18,432 VIDEO_TS.IFO
    18,432 VIDEO_TS.BUP

    Tricia

    Tricia, Feb 18, 2005
  8. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:25:19 -0000, "Tricia"
    <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:26:27 -0000, "Tricia"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    >>>There was NOT ENOUGH ROOM. on the BLANK DISK! My own computer is fat 32.
    >>>Tricia

    >> Yes but Tricia, if you are using Fat32 the hard drive will not be able
    >> to hold a full DVDimage. DVDshrink's manual specifies that the drive
    >> being used for the rip must be NTFS. If the dvd is ripped to a Fat32
    >> drive as a full size image it will be corrupted, the last 300+ megs
    >> can't be read, and therefore can not be copied to the DVD. So my
    >> original comment stands.
    >>
    >> . Steve ..

    >It is not being ripped as a single file. It is being ripped as .vob files.
    >Your answer still does not explain why my computer will burn the files but
    >my friends does not.
    >Tricia

    Ok, my mistake was that I thought it was the Fat32 system that was not
    doing the job. And I thought it was the same rip that would burn in
    one system but not the other, not separate rips as you are doing.
    Even though all the files are smaller than 1 gig I have encountered
    errors with DVDshrink when using fat32. NTFS is ALWAYS recommened for
    multimedia work.

    Here's a link to preferences setup.
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm the total of
    the filesizes MAY be a bit larger than they should be to fit on the
    blank. The sizes are obtained by right-clicking, going to
    /Properties, and seeing the number of bytes, rather than "Size on
    disc" or the size in the Explorer window. Try reducing the target size
    just slightly (4350 rather than 4464)

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 18, 2005
  9. Tricia

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    Tricia <> wrote:

    > Hi I have just installed an NEC 3520A on a friend's computer
    > then used DVD Shrink to transfer a DVD to the hard disk.
    > However when it came to write the blank disk I got an error
    > message that the blank disk did not have enough room to write
    > the files. Yet on my own computer using the same settings I
    > have no problem. Any ideas?
    > Using Win xp Pro 1.6(I think) Ghz Athlone, 256 Mbytes memory
    > and a 40 gig hard drive. and nero 6.3.0.2
    > Thanks Tricia

    A few thoughts:

    1) What does Nero Disc info have to say about the media?

    2) Have you tried RW media?

    3) This version of Shrink (Version 3.2.0.14 - 25 July 2004)
    handles ISO on FAT32, which is in turn properly handled by DVD
    Decrypter's burn option (I don't know about Nero handling this
    option).

    BJ
    Billy Joe, Feb 18, 2005
  10. Tricia

    Darkknight Guest

    i sometimes also get this problem,
    haven't actualy managed to find out whether it's the media or DVDshrink
    getting it's sums wrong. When this happens i generally re-rip it
    selecting manual compression and increasing the compresion slightly (to
    back the bar graph of the end stop).
    I have also had this problem when DVD shrink simply cannot compress it
    enough to fit, can sometimes be cured by re-running the ripped files
    through DVD shrink, doesn't seem to noticably affect the quality

    Darkknight, Feb 23, 2005
  11. Tricia

    soinie Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:30:38 +1030, Darkknight
    <> wrote:

    >i sometimes also get this problem,
    >haven't actualy managed to find out whether it's the media or DVDshrink
    >getting it's sums wrong. When this happens i generally re-rip it
    >selecting manual compression and increasing the compresion slightly (to
    >back the bar graph of the end stop).
    >I have also had this problem when DVD shrink simply cannot compress it
    >enough to fit, can sometimes be cured by re-running the ripped files
    >through DVD shrink, doesn't seem to noticably affect the quality
    >
    >Tricia wrote:
    >> Hi I have just installed an NEC 3520A on a friend's computer then used DVD
    >> Shrink to transfer a DVD to the hard disk. However when it came to write
    >> the blank disk I got an error message that the blank disk did not have
    >> enough room to write the files. Yet on my own computer using the same
    >> settings I have no problem. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Using Win xp Pro 1.6(I think) Ghz Athlone, 256 Mbytes memory and a 40 gig
    >> hard drive. and nero 6.3.0.2
    >> Thanks Tricia

    Fat 32 has nothing to do with it. I have W2K with fat 32 and I can
    store as many dvd files as I like given the size of the disc. You
    might want to check the compression setting on Shrink; be sure it's
    set to automatic or that you've added enough compression so the files
    fit on the disc.
    soinie, Feb 23, 2005