    I was just curious why I would not see the outside access points on my
    desktop computer?

    Thanks.
    Ron Stone, Nov 3, 2007

  2. Ron Stone

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Ron Stone" <> wrote in message news:e%...
    >I have a desktop and a laptop computer in the same room as my wireless router.
    > The laptop has an internal wireless card, and the desktop has a PCI D-Link wireless
    > card.
    > I am running Network Stumbler on both computers. The laptop shows my router and
    > a couple of near by neighbours. The desktop only shows my router.
    > I was just curious why I would not see the outside access points on my desktop computer?

    One possible reason - the laptop card is B+G, the desktop - B only.

    --PA
    Pavel A., Nov 3, 2007

  3. Ron Stone

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:04:40 -0400, "Ron Stone"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a desktop and a laptop computer in the same room as my wireless
    >router.
    >The laptop has an internal wireless card, and the desktop has a PCI D-Link
    >wireless
    >card.
    >I am running Network Stumbler on both computers. The laptop shows my router
    >and
    >a couple of near by neighbours. The desktop only shows my router.
    >I was just curious why I would not see the outside access points on my
    >desktop computer?

    Wild guess: The Access Point is 802.11abg, the desktop's card is
    802.11a only?
    Or the desktop's antenna has very poor placement, hence very
    limited range. (Test: move the laptop to the desktop and
    watch...)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Nov 3, 2007
  4. Ron Stone

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Gerard Bok" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Wild guess: The Access Point is 802.11abg, the desktop's card is
    > 802.11a only?

    There are no A only cards, wi-fi standard prohibits this.
    An AP however can run in A only mode.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 3, 2007
  5. Ron Stone

    Ron Stone Guest

    Thanks for the replies.
    Both cards are 'G' and the router (Belkin) is set to only us 'G'.
    The desktop sits about 10' in a straight unobstructed line from the
    router. Putting the laptop as close as I physically can to the desktop,
    the laptop still sees signals the desktop does not.
    The desktop is about a foot from an outside wall. I know the outside
    are coming from my neighbours (I'm in a 2 storey house), I am just curious
    why my desktop wireless card does not see these signals.

    Ron Stone, Nov 8, 2007