Not broadcasting SSID...

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Joe Bob, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. Joe Bob

    Joe Bob Guest

    For a plain 1100 series AP, I am trying to not broadcast the SSID.
    Per

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...eference_chapter09186a00800fdd69.html#2354378

    I simply configure the ssid to no guest mode, so my final config looks
    similar to this...

    int dot11radio0
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    !
    ssid testcase
    auth open
    !

    However, when I do this and go back to my notebook (I've tried 3x
    notebooks w/3x wireless cards, all known to be good) and configure
    them, the 'testcase'
    ssid appears in the prefered networks (wireless network properties),
    but never in avail networks. I add 'guest mode' to my script, wr mem,
    reload, and then on the notebooks it appears in the prefered and
    available networks.

    Any ideas if this is a config issue in regards to the AP or the
    notebooks? If so, any suggestion how to be able to connect to my
    network AP thats not broadcasting its SSID?

    Thanks,
    Joe Bob, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Joe Bob

    Brian V Guest

    My experience with it is that it only works with Cisco cards using the Cisco
    ACU

    Brian V, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Joe Bob

    Joe Bob Guest

    Turns out I was doing everything right except I wasn't patient enough.

    I walked away, came back about 20 minutes later, and it associated
    with the WAP in question. I happened to come back with a co-worker
    who had his notebook, and it took his notebook about 1 minute to find
    the WAP and associate with it.

    Joe Bob, Sep 24, 2004