    boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
    Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    Many thanks

    Jewel, Feb 18, 2007

  2. Jewel

    Baron Guest

    Jewel inscribed thus:

    > My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes.
    > Just turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
    > If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
    > screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps
    > regularly every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for
    > 30 minutes, it will boot up as normal but again crash a little while
    > later. Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    > Many thanks

    Its probably overheating !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Jewel

    meerkat Guest

    "Jewel" <> wrote in message
    > My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just
    > turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
    > If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
    > screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly
    > every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it
    > will boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
    > Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    > Many thanks

    More info needed !!
    What is the machine ?.
    How old ?.
    What OS ?.
    How many beeps in each block ?.

    meerkat, Feb 18, 2007
  4. Jewel

    Soul Bandit Guest

    On Feb 18, 2:13 pm, "Jewel" <> wrote:
    > My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just turns
    > itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
    > If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first screen -
    > I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly every
    > couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it will
    > boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
    > Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    > Many thanks

    Sounds just like my system was doing so I opened the case up to allow
    it to get free air and so far, it hasn't decided to crash yet.

    Soul Bandit, Feb 18, 2007
  5. Jewel

    ernie3point1 Guest

    I had this problem for a while. I have found it to be related to two
    causes. One, the CPU becomes overworked, and thermal cutoff protection will
    cause the computer to reboot. So as others have suggested, opening the case
    cover may help. Also, there are aftermarket CPU coolers that provide better
    cooling than the stock heatsink/fan assembly.

    The other cause of the problem could be not enough power. Have you added or
    upgraded components recently? Also, many power supplies use their peak
    rating to report the value (in watts) and this is misleading, since the
    nominal power is considerably less. If you're building a gaming PC, be sure
    that the +5V rails have adequate power (see the label). I say this because
    I have made mistakes in the past until I learned to look for these thngs,
    since manufacturers will more often than not report the most favorable
    numbers.

    I hope this information helps you.

    ernie3point1, Feb 18, 2007
  6. Jewel

    Jesse Guest

    On 18 Feb 2007 13:12:28 -0800, "Soul Bandit" <>
    wrote:

    >On Feb 18, 2:13 pm, "Jewel" <> wrote:
    >> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just turns
    >> itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
    >> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first screen -
    >> I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly every
    >> couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it will
    >> boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
    >> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    >> Many thanks

    >Sounds just like my system was doing so I opened the case up to allow
    >it to get free air and so far, it hasn't decided to crash yet.

    Try another power supply. jesse

    Jesse, Feb 18, 2007
  7. Jewel

    Neil Green Guest

    "Jewel" <> wrote in message
    > My PC boots up as normal then after about 20
    > minutes, it crashes. Just turns itself off, no error
    > message, no blue screen.
    > If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even
    > get to the first screen - I just hear the hard drive
    > then it stops) and it beeps regularly every couple
    > of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30
    > minutes, it will boot up as normal but again crash a
    > little while later.
    > Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    > Many thanks

    Almost certainly a failing power supply.

    Neil Green, Feb 19, 2007
  8. Jewel

    Alan S Guest

    Baron wrote:
    > Jewel inscribed thus:
    >

    >> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes.
    >> Just turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
    >> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
    >> screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps
    >> regularly every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for
    >> 30 minutes, it will boot up as normal but again crash a little while
    >> later. Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    >> Many thanks
    >>

    > Its probably overheating !

    I agree, it is overheating. Check your CPU fan to see if it is working.
    Don't keep turning it on until you fix it or you will burn up the
    processor. I learned the hard way.

    Alan S, Feb 20, 2007
  9. Jewel

    Alan S Guest

    Jesse wrote:
    > On 18 Feb 2007 13:12:28 -0800, "Soul Bandit" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> On Feb 18, 2:13 pm, "Jewel" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just turns
    >>> itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
    >>> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first screen -
    >>> I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly every
    >>> couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it will
    >>> boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
    >>> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    >>> Many thanks
    >>>

    >> Sounds just like my system was doing so I opened the case up to allow
    >> it to get free air and so far, it hasn't decided to crash yet.
    >>

    > Try another power supply. jesse

    If he can hear the hard drive, that means his power supply is not over
    heating, it is probably the processor over heating.

    Alan S, Feb 20, 2007
  10. Jewel

    Jewel Guest

    "Jewel" <> wrote in message
    > My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just
    > turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
    > If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
    > screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly
    > every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it
    > will boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
    > Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    > Many thanks

    It was the RAM which wasn't seated properly.

    Jewel, Feb 20, 2007
  11. Jewel

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Jewel" <> wrote in message

    > "Jewel" <> wrote in message
    >> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just
    >> turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
    >> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
    >> screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly
    >> every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it
    >> will boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
    >> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
    >> Many thanks

    > It was the RAM which wasn't seated properly.

    I didn't get to post in time to offer a suggestion but as soon as you
    mentioned the repeating beeps, I suspected the RAM. If you determined who
    the BIOS maker was, then when you consult the "beep chart" it would tell
    you the cause(faulty RAM, video card). To my knowledge, no beeps indicate
    a problem with the cpu either.

    Mark Mandell, Feb 22, 2007