Not Again - more

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by archierob, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. archierob

    archierob Guest

    Thanks for the help.

    Ok I did what you said - changed and checked all the leads.

    Pal has brought down his monitor - connected - hey presto it worked - so its
    the monitor - NO.

    Switched off and started again - nothing! Made coffee, sung a few hymns,
    practised a bit of origami and generally waited. Switched on - it works -
    praise the Lord. Switched off again - restarted - nothing! Aaaarrggghh. So
    here we are baffled and totally pissed off and pub is beginning to look a
    safe bet.

    What next?

    ---

    archierob, Jul 31, 2004

  2. archierob

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "archierob" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Ok I did what you said - changed and checked all the leads.
    >
    > Pal has brought down his monitor - connected - hey presto it worked -

    so its
    > the monitor - NO.
    >
    > Switched off and started again - nothing! Made coffee, sung a few

    hymns,
    > practised a bit of origami and generally waited. Switched on - it

    works -
    > praise the Lord. Switched off again - restarted - nothing!

    Aaaarrggghh. So
    > here we are baffled and totally pissed off and pub is beginning to

    look a
    > safe bet.
    >
    > What next?

    Better if you don't start a new thread every time you experiment. If
    people are going to help you, it's easier if they can follow the record
    of symptoms, suggestions, etc.

    The monitor and/or monitor cabling is not your problem -- you've proven
    that. And the MSI KM2m Combo-L is a well-regarded board -- chances of
    your getting two faulty ones in a row is pretty remote. So time to look
    elsewhere.

    What cpu are you using with this board? Are you overclocking by any
    chance? Check that your bios settings haven't been tweaked beyond
    manufacturer defaults -- at least for troubleshooting purposes.

    How much system memory do you have? How many sticks? What type/speed?
    And how much are you using for the video functions? Since your
    motherboard relies on using a chunk of system ram for the video
    functions, and since I gather this has been a common component in all
    your setups, you might see if your pal has some compatible ram you could
    swap in for a test. But here again, be sure that your bios is set is to
    manufacturer defaults or "auto configuration" for memory timing and
    video options.

    Patrick Bold, Jul 31, 2004

  3. archierob

    colinco Guest

    In article archierob says...
    > Pal has brought down his monitor - connected - hey presto it worked - so its
    > the monitor - NO.
    >
    > Switched off and started again - nothing! Made coffee, sung a few hymns,
    > practised a bit of origami and generally waited. Switched on - it works -
    > praise the Lord. Switched off again - restarted - nothing! Aaaarrggghh. So
    > here we are baffled and totally pissed off and pub is beginning to look a
    > safe bet.
    >
    > What next?

    What OS are you using? An old comp of mine that was OK on win98 has
    started doing this on win98 second edition with various monitors. Not
    sure if the video card has gone bad or it is a win98se shut down issue.
    10 or 15 minutes off and it will restart ok.

    colinco, Aug 1, 2004
  4. archierob

    theseus Guest

    archierob wrote:
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Ok I did what you said - changed and checked all the leads.
    >
    > Pal has brought down his monitor - connected - hey presto it worked -
    > so its the monitor - NO.
    >
    > Switched off and started again - nothing! Made coffee, sung a few
    > hymns, practised a bit of origami and generally waited. Switched on -
    > it works - praise the Lord. Switched off again - restarted - nothing!
    > Aaaarrggghh. So here we are baffled and totally pissed off and pub is
    > beginning to look a safe bet.
    >
    > What next?

    Re- install Windows
    ;-)

    theseus, Aug 1, 2004
  5. archierob

    Tim Guest

    That'll be helpful if its the power supply.
    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 1, 2004
  6. In article <ceg8mb$6fb$>,
    says...
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Ok I did what you said - changed and checked all the leads.
    >
    > Pal has brought down his monitor - connected - hey presto it worked - so its
    > the monitor - NO.
    >
    > Switched off and started again - nothing! Made coffee, sung a few hymns,
    > practised a bit of origami and generally waited. Switched on - it works -
    > praise the Lord. Switched off again - restarted - nothing! Aaaarrggghh. So
    > here we are baffled and totally pissed off and pub is beginning to look a
    > safe bet.
    >
    > What next?

    Disable all power management settings for the monitor (sync blanking etc)

    I had a problem with my PC, at certain times the screen would just go
    into standby mode while I was working away on the computer. It was not
    until I had a 2nd monitor behaving the same way that I figured it must be
    something betweem the monitor and display card. Turning off the Bios
    settings stopped that.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 1, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > In article archierob says...
    > > Pal has brought down his monitor - connected - hey presto it worked - so its
    > > the monitor - NO.
    > >
    > > Switched off and started again - nothing! Made coffee, sung a few hymns,
    > > practised a bit of origami and generally waited. Switched on - it works -
    > > praise the Lord. Switched off again - restarted - nothing! Aaaarrggghh. So
    > > here we are baffled and totally pissed off and pub is beginning to look a
    > > safe bet.
    > >
    > > What next?
    > >

    > What OS are you using? An old comp of mine that was OK on win98 has
    > started doing this on win98 second edition with various monitors. Not
    > sure if the video card has gone bad or it is a win98se shut down issue.
    > 10 or 15 minutes off and it will restart ok.

    Try the Bios settings for putting the monitor into standby/off mode.
    Disable them.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 1, 2004
  8. archierob

    theseus Guest

    Really ?
    "Tim" <> wrote in message news:cehfgl$7oj$...
    > That'll be helpful if its the power supply.
    > - Tim

    Are all top posters this stupid ?

    theseus, Aug 1, 2004
  9. archierob

    C Guest

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 14:54:38 +1200, "theseus" <> wrote:

    >Really ?
    >"Tim" <> wrote in message news:cehfgl$7oj$...
    >> That'll be helpful if its the power supply.
    >> - Tim

    >Are all top posters this stupid ?

    Often, yes.

    C, Aug 1, 2004
  10. archierob

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:26:22 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

    > Better if you don't start a new thread every time you experiment. If
    > people are going to help you, it's easier if they can follow the record
    > of symptoms, suggestions, etc.

    Excatly. How ever I jump in here

    > The monitor and/or monitor cabling is not your problem -- you've proven
    > that. And the MSI KM2m Combo-L is a well-regarded board -- chances of
    > your getting two faulty ones in a row is pretty remote. So time to look
    > elsewhere.

    How about we have a faulty video card, or its not seated in its slot. Pull
    it out and put it back in. Get another video card and try.

    Just some thoughts

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2004
  11. In article <2YYOc.1256$>, says...
    > Really ?
    > "Tim" <> wrote in message news:cehfgl$7oj$...
    > > That'll be helpful if its the power supply.
    > > - Tim

    > Are all top posters this stupid ?

    You top posted according to my newsreader

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 1, 2004
  12. On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:53:24 +0100, "archierob"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the help.
    >
    >Ok I did what you said - changed and checked all the leads.
    >
    >Pal has brought down his monitor - connected - hey presto it worked - so its
    >the monitor - NO.
    >
    >Switched off and started again - nothing! Made coffee, sung a few hymns,
    >practised a bit of origami and generally waited. Switched on - it works -
    >praise the Lord. Switched off again - restarted - nothing! Aaaarrggghh. So
    >here we are baffled and totally pissed off and pub is beginning to look a
    >safe bet.
    >
    >What next?

    You say you switched off each time. If the unit has a reset switch try
    leaving the power turned on and press the reset to see if that gets it
    going.

    I recently had the <pleasure> of sorting an HP with an Asus MB that
    showed these symptoms. It seems the hardware reset was not occuring
    properly at power on. Installing a big press switch on the front of
    the box wired back to the reset terminals on the MB allows the owner
    to at least get it going easily when it faults. This was an old 98SE
    machine well outside the warranty period.

    YMMV
    --
    Regards
    Malcolm.

    Malcolm Moore, Aug 1, 2004
  13. archierob wrote:
    > Switched off and started again - nothing! Made coffee, sung a few hymns,
    > practised a bit of origami and generally waited. Switched on - it works -
    > praise the Lord. Switched off again - restarted - nothing! Aaaarrggghh. So
    > here we are baffled and totally pissed off and pub is beginning to look a
    > safe bet.
    > What next?

    I had this problem just before my PSU ATx plug melted itself to my
    motherboard... PSU died, and took the motherboard(and video card, and
    Ram and possibly Hdd) with it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 1, 2004
  14. archierob

    colinco Guest

    In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    > I had this problem just before my PSU ATx plug melted itself to my
    > motherboard... PSU died, and took the motherboard(and video card, and
    > Ram and possibly Hdd) with it.

    Your atx plug wouldn't have melted unless the motherboard was sucking
    current. Probably the MB died and took the rest out.

    colinco, Aug 1, 2004
  15. colinco wrote:
    >>I had this problem just before my PSU ATx plug melted itself to my
    >>motherboard... PSU died, and took the motherboard(and video card, and
    >>Ram and possibly Hdd) with it.

    > Your atx plug wouldn't have melted unless the motherboard was sucking
    > current. Probably the MB died and took the rest out.

    oh well, same end result. :/

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz