Not accessible areas on HD?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Here is a question and answer from Adobe Photoshop CS activation page
    http://www.adobe.com/activation/main.html

    Q: Do I have to reactivate if I reformat my hard drive?

    A: As long as you don't "low-level" reformat your hard drive, you will not
    be required to reactivate Photoshop CS software. Please note that normal
    utilities (provided by the operating system vendor) for reformatting the
    hard drive do not perform a "low-level" reformat.

    Does anybody know how this is technically done? Are there any areas on HD
    that cannot be deleted or read by user and not touched by formatting? What
    about re-partitioning?

    Do we need to worry now about spyware we can't see or delete?

    I remember reading something for a while ago about not published ATA
    commands and not accessible areas on HD for DRM purposes. Anybody has more
    information?
    Jack, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Jack

    Trax Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:36:08 GMT, "Jack" <> wrote:

    |> Does anybody know how this is technically done? Are there any areas on HD
    |> that cannot be deleted or read by user and not touched by formatting? What
    |> about re-partitioning?

    The MBR (Master Boot Record) is not formatted and only updated on a
    re-partition. The MBR can be read, with the proper software. I use norton
    diskedit as I'm used to it, there is no place on the hard drive it can't read or
    delete.

    While a low level format would delete it,
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w Someday, we'll look back on this,
    Trax, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Jack

    Trax Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:36:08 GMT, "Jack" <> wrote:

    |> Does anybody know how this is technically done? Are there any areas on HD
    |> that cannot be deleted or read by user and not touched by formatting? What
    |> about re-partitioning?

    The MBR (Master Boot Record) is not formatted and only updated on a
    re-partition. The MBR can be read, with the proper software. I use norton's
    diskedit as I'm used to it, there is no place on the hard drive it can't read or
    delete.

    While a low level format would delete it, it's normally only used as a last
    ditch to bring back a bad drive.
    --
    ,,
    Trax, Jan 1, 2004