    OE 6, it loops back to the primary Identify without asking for setup
    information. Don't have this problem setting emails with my other computers,
    just this one. Help would be appreciated and TIA.
    Fred, Apr 1, 2007

  2. Fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > Just fresh installed Win XP upgrade with SP1 without further window
    > updates.

    > Every time I create a new
    > Identify and try to switch it in OE 6, it loops back to the primary
    > Identify without asking for setup information.

    http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#noswitch
    "Unable to switch Identities after installing WinXP Service Pack 1
    Fixed" - This bug appeared in Service Pack 1. There is now a patch that
    fixes it as well as some other bugs, Service Pack 2 includes this patch,
    so you don't need it if you have installed SP2. -- When you click File |
    Switch Identities, OE briefly closes but re-opens without switching to
    the other Identity. Microsoft is aware of the problem and is
    investigating. A quick workaround is to click File | Identities | Manage
    Identities, then remove the check mark for "Use this Identity when
    starting a program". Then instead of clicking File | Switch Identities,
    simply close and re-open OE. You will then see the Identity logon screen
    and can select the Identity you want. Microsoft has already added a
    Knowledge Base article about the problem, and is working on a
    solution. - Note that the bug does not affect everyone. It might be
    related to using the "Main Identity" created the first time you run OE.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329084 You
    cannot switch identities in Outlook Express after you install Windows XP
    SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q331923 An
    overview of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP1
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/q331923/default.asp
    October 2002, Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP1 (Q331923)

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 1, 2007

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >> Just fresh installed Win XP upgrade with SP1 without further window
    >> updates.

    >> Every time I create a new
    >> Identify and try to switch it in OE 6, it loops back to the primary
    >> Identify without asking for setup information.

    > http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#noswitch
    > "Unable to switch Identities after installing WinXP Service Pack 1
    > Fixed" - This bug appeared in Service Pack 1. There is now a patch that
    > fixes it as well as some other bugs, Service Pack 2 includes this patch,
    > so you don't need it if you have installed SP2. -- When you click File |
    > Switch Identities, OE briefly closes but re-opens without switching to
    > the other Identity. Microsoft is aware of the problem and is
    > investigating. A quick workaround is to click File | Identities | Manage
    > Identities, then remove the check mark for "Use this Identity when
    > starting a program". Then instead of clicking File | Switch Identities,
    > simply close and re-open OE. You will then see the Identity logon screen
    > and can select the Identity you want.

    Thanks Mike! This works now until I get SP2.

    Fred, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#noswitch

    > Thanks Mike! This works now until I get SP2.

    It may be worth noting that the OE guru Tom Koch whose site was
    mentioned above and previously extensively cited wrote an article^1
    entitled "Outlook Express and Windows XP Service Pack 2: Several
    Problems or Superior Protection?"

    SP2 makes a number of 'severe' changes in OE which also impact other OE
    related programs such as OE QuoteFix.

    The article isn't a recommendation against it, of course, but it is
    worth reading for OE users.

    ^1 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/oeandsp2.mspx

    --
    Mike Easter