Not a problem more of a challenge/learning curve

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Osiris Luxor, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Osiris Luxor

    Osiris Luxor Guest

    Hi
    System information
    Running Windows 98 SE
    Motherboard PC Chips M598LMR1.0
    Bios American Megatrend
    Ram 416mb (128+256+32)
    250Mghz AMD K6-2 Processor

    I realise it is hardly a cutting edge system but I use it as a 2nd PC
    on my home network ,mainly for storing mp3 and movies
    It has a 20gb Hdd and I have replaced the 8Gb second Hdd with a 80gb
    Hdd ,succesfully but I can only see 31gb ,I did go through Fdisk and
    set it up so I would see all 80gb as one drive
    My intiall thought was that the bios needed flashing so that the
    motherboard would support the 80gb Hdd but the only bios I could find
    was the same as the one already installed
    I also realise that it is possible that their isnt a bios available so
    that the motherboard will suport a 80gb Hdd

    My questions are
    Does anybody know of a bios upgrade so that i can see all 80gb
    or another solution so that I can leave the 80gb in this PC the Hdd
    wont go to waste as I will put it in my other PC (14mths old)

    TIA

    Osiris

    Osiris Luxor, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Osiris Luxor

    chip_y2kuk Guest

    "Osiris Luxor" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > System information
    > Running Windows 98 SE
    > Motherboard PC Chips M598LMR1.0
    > Bios American Megatrend
    > Ram 416mb (128+256+32)
    > 250Mghz AMD K6-2 Processor
    >
    > I realise it is hardly a cutting edge system but I use it as a 2nd PC
    > on my home network ,mainly for storing mp3 and movies
    > It has a 20gb Hdd and I have replaced the 8Gb second Hdd with a 80gb
    > Hdd ,succesfully but I can only see 31gb ,I did go through Fdisk and
    > set it up so I would see all 80gb as one drive
    > My intiall thought was that the bios needed flashing so that the
    > motherboard would support the 80gb Hdd but the only bios I could find
    > was the same as the one already installed
    > I also realise that it is possible that their isnt a bios available so
    > that the motherboard will suport a 80gb Hdd
    >
    > My questions are
    > Does anybody know of a bios upgrade so that i can see all 80gb
    > or another solution so that I can leave the 80gb in this PC the Hdd
    > wont go to waste as I will put it in my other PC (14mths old)
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Osiris

    i had a simmilar problem once was with the same size disks 2 a 20gig and and
    80gig both drives were the same make i did everything u did flashed bios and
    all turns out all i was doin wrong was confiquring the jumpers on the back
    of the disk.

    Not saying its the same for you but have ya checked that???

    chip_y2kuk, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Osiris Luxor

    Harrison Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:18:08 +0000 (UTC), Osiris Luxor <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >System information
    >Running Windows 98 SE
    >Motherboard PC Chips M598LMR1.0
    >Bios American Megatrend
    >Ram 416mb (128+256+32)
    >250Mghz AMD K6-2 Processor
    >
    >I realise it is hardly a cutting edge system but I use it as a 2nd PC
    >on my home network ,mainly for storing mp3 and movies
    >It has a 20gb Hdd and I have replaced the 8Gb second Hdd with a 80gb
    >Hdd ,succesfully but I can only see 31gb ,I did go through Fdisk and
    >set it up so I would see all 80gb as one drive
    >My intiall thought was that the bios needed flashing so that the
    >motherboard would support the 80gb Hdd but the only bios I could find
    >was the same as the one already installed
    >I also realise that it is possible that their isnt a bios available so
    >that the motherboard will suport a 80gb Hdd
    >
    >My questions are
    >Does anybody know of a bios upgrade so that i can see all 80gb
    >or another solution so that I can leave the 80gb in this PC the Hdd
    >wont go to waste as I will put it in my other PC (14mths old)
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Osiris

    It's not your BIOS if the drive shows up in fdisk correctly.
    You'll need to create partitions of less than 32 GB.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q184/0/06.ASP

    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Osiris Luxor

    Osiris Luxor Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:31:27 -0000, "chip_y2kuk"
    <> wrote:

    >"Osiris Luxor" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> System information
    >> Running Windows 98 SE
    >> Motherboard PC Chips M598LMR1.0
    >> Bios American Megatrend
    >> Ram 416mb (128+256+32)
    >> 250Mghz AMD K6-2 Processor
    >>
    >> I realise it is hardly a cutting edge system but I use it as a 2nd PC
    >> on my home network ,mainly for storing mp3 and movies
    >> It has a 20gb Hdd and I have replaced the 8Gb second Hdd with a 80gb
    >> Hdd ,succesfully but I can only see 31gb ,I did go through Fdisk and
    >> set it up so I would see all 80gb as one drive
    >> My intiall thought was that the bios needed flashing so that the
    >> motherboard would support the 80gb Hdd but the only bios I could find
    >> was the same as the one already installed
    >> I also realise that it is possible that their isnt a bios available so
    >> that the motherboard will suport a 80gb Hdd
    >>
    >> My questions are
    >> Does anybody know of a bios upgrade so that i can see all 80gb
    >> or another solution so that I can leave the 80gb in this PC the Hdd
    >> wont go to waste as I will put it in my other PC (14mths old)
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Osiris

    >i had a simmilar problem once was with the same size disks 2 a 20gig and and
    >80gig both drives were the same make i did everything u did flashed bios and
    >all turns out all i was doin wrong was confiquring the jumpers on the back
    >of the disk.
    >
    >Not saying its the same for you but have ya checked that???

    Cheers
    Sorted mis understood the jumper settings I thought I had to install
    the jumper for hdd above 32gb but that limited the drive to 32 gb
    removed jumper so that it is set as slave re-ran Fdisk and
    reformatted drive everything ok thanks for your help

    Osiris

    Osiris Luxor, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Osiris Luxor

    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:31:27 -0000, "chip_y2kuk"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Osiris Luxor" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi
    > >> System information
    > >> Running Windows 98 SE
    > >> Motherboard PC Chips M598LMR1.0
    > >> Bios American Megatrend
    > >> Ram 416mb (128+256+32)
    > >> 250Mghz AMD K6-2 Processor
    > >>
    > >> I realise it is hardly a cutting edge system but I use it as a 2nd PC
    > >> on my home network ,mainly for storing mp3 and movies
    > >> It has a 20gb Hdd and I have replaced the 8Gb second Hdd with a 80gb
    > >> Hdd ,succesfully but I can only see 31gb ,I did go through Fdisk and
    > >> set it up so I would see all 80gb as one drive
    > >> My intiall thought was that the bios needed flashing so that the
    > >> motherboard would support the 80gb Hdd but the only bios I could find
    > >> was the same as the one already installed
    > >> I also realise that it is possible that their isnt a bios available so
    > >> that the motherboard will suport a 80gb Hdd
    > >>
    > >> My questions are
    > >> Does anybody know of a bios upgrade so that i can see all 80gb
    > >> or another solution so that I can leave the 80gb in this PC the Hdd
    > >> wont go to waste as I will put it in my other PC (14mths old)
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >>
    > >> Osiris

    > >i had a simmilar problem once was with the same size disks 2 a 20gig and

    and
    > >80gig both drives were the same make i did everything u did flashed bios

    and
    > >all turns out all i was doin wrong was confiquring the jumpers on the

    back
    > >of the disk.
    > >
    > >Not saying its the same for you but have ya checked that???
    > >

    > Cheers
    > Sorted mis understood the jumper settings I thought I had to install
    > the jumper for hdd above 32gb but that limited the drive to 32 gb
    > removed jumper so that it is set as slave re-ran Fdisk and
    > reformatted drive everything ok thanks for your help
    >
    > Osiris

    Glad I could help!!

    chip_y2kuk, Feb 12, 2004