Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by jacob navia, May 2, 2006.

  1. jacob navia

    jacob navia Guest

    Recently, I installed Longhorn 64 bits in my machine and...

    You know what?

    At the root directory of the drive I found:

    AUTOEXEC.BAT
    and its brother
    CONFIG.SYS

    The config.sys of Longhorn took care of specifying
    FILES=40

    Yeah, 40 files will be enough for longhorn of course...

    Ahh the roots of the company are still there. Decades later the
    Microsoft Disk Operating System still ticks at the heart of it all.

    jacob

    P.S. This is not meant as a pejorative message or even a complaint. I
    find this care of supporting old applications has allowed Microsoft to
    become what it is now.

    jacob navia, May 2, 2006

  2. Yes, I aggree completely. I have not seen it yet, but I am not the least bit
    surprised. Like you say - it's reassuring, somehow. The value of 40,
    however, probably isn't all that important - in DOS you actually ran out of
    space if you opened that many files - from Win3.1 I believe it became an
    initial value, if you used it the system spawned another 40 I think. At the
    time I used to experiment a lot but then the value stopped having any
    apparent influence. Except the system slowly ran out of user resources, and
    if you kept opening more files, it would run out sooner, but until going
    down the respons of the system didn't seem to be affected by the files
    value. (My observation!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 2, 2006

  3. Tony, Jacob:
    Speaking of nostalgia I can also recall the buffers setting, which acted as
    disk cache grandfather. Disk cache father was smartdrv.
    Also the environment setting which I had to set to E=1024.
    That alchemy seemed to make windows 3.1 more stable.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 3, 2006
  4. Yes, Andre - I do remember the tweeking, although what I was most happy with
    was when I wrote my own animated start menu in 'batch and ansi' and had
    discreet configurations tweeked for each menu item.

    I vividly recall those days when I tried to find the optimal setting for
    'Links' - by a long shot the most demanding game that I knew at the time.
    I'd set it up such that the machine re-booted when calling a menu-item and
    when I left the game it re-booted again into a default configuration, back
    to the menu. Very complex, and very, very satisfying! Lots of people was
    thinking, much of all this couldn't be done at all!

    I cannot remember my Environment value, 1024 seem rather high but I think I
    ended up doubling the default whatever that was. Maybe that was because I
    had started setting up a sort of 'sub-routines' in my batch files which
    meant that each one had a new copy of the environment, and the script didn't
    suffer that much as a consequence. But the RAM Disks! Man-oh-man - that was
    a minor science of it's own!

    Thanks, guys for reminding me!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 3, 2006
  5. Sorry, getting the name wrong was a mental typo, Carlos.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 3, 2006
  6. Yeah, that usually happens when you belong to the "Frequent Poster Program".
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 3, 2006
  7. hehe ;)
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 3, 2006