    hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
    this.

    Any advice gratefully received,
    Another Dave, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Another Dave

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:34:28 -0800, Another Dave wrote:

    > I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
    >
    > At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not support
    > the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
    >
    > Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the Trojan
    > -- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
    >
    > Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
    > hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
    > this.
    >
    > Any advice gratefully received,

    Nortons _may_ have had some of its files corrupted by the virus (fairly
    common) so you have to reinstall nortons, assuming you have the disk

    To remove that file you could boot to another windows (NT version) with
    that drive mounted, and then delete that file.

    As hpd.tmp doesnt come up in google at all, Id hazard a guess you have a
    what I call a 'shield troj' running, these are a prick, you need to find
    the virus that is actually causing the problem, as the files your AV are
    reporting are only symptoms not the cause. IIRC the last one I came
    across was reported as an issue at boot time, but wasnt discovered by my
    AV

    Shane, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Another Dave

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On 17 Nov 2005 10:34:28 -0800, "Another Dave"
    <> wrote:

    >I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
    >
    >At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not support
    >the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
    >
    >Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the Trojan
    >-- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
    >
    >Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
    >hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
    >this.
    >
    >Any advice gratefully received,

    1/ Start up in safe mode & then run Nortons and/or delete the file
    manually. If it won't allow you to delete the file in safe mode then
    it's probably replaced an XP system file with one of it's own & you
    may need to look at running system restore or option 2

    2/ Boot off the XP CD & run the command console. Delete the file the
    old fashioned way. Restart in safe mode, run Nortons & repeat 1/.

    Try system file checker (sfc.exe) in safe mode to check system files,
    link to that....

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

    Personally I'd run system restore after removing the trojan's 'hooks',
    you never know what's left in there & restoring back to a day before
    the problem started should clean the system up.

    You shouldn't be getting trojans on a patched box. Connect to the
    'net through a router & run Windows update. Alternatively, if the box
    is fully patched, look at your ActiveX security settings for Internet
    Explorer.

    GT
    Gavin Tunney, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Another Dave

    EMB Guest

    Another Dave wrote:
    > I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.

    There comes a point where it's probably less effort to just vape the
    install and start again from scratch. That way you know that you'll be
    malware free from the start.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Another Dave

    Impossible Guest

    "Another Dave" <> wrote in message
    >I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
    >
    > At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not
    > support
    > the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
    >
    > Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the
    > Trojan
    > -- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
    >
    > Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
    > hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or
    > remove
    > this.
    >
    > Any advice gratefully received,

    Some malware requires a customized procedure to fully remove. Unless
    you have Version 10 or later of Norton AV, it won't track this kind of
    thing at all, and even then it typically takes some time to develop a
    cleanup. As of now, there is nothing about "Spy Trooper" on their
    site. But have a look here:

    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=76880

    This is a site with some very knowledgeable folks, and I think that if
    you take the time to follow the procedure carefully there's a good
    chance this might work for you. In light of some other suggestions in
    this thread, I'd pay particular attention to the recommendation at
    geskstogo that you NOT enable System Restore until your system is
    completely clean again. Also, that you download and install the trial
    AV programs suggested for now before trying to reinstall Norton.
    Impossible, Nov 17, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    says...

    > Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
    > hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
    > this.
    >
    > Any advice gratefully received,

    One method for deleting 'stubborn' files in XP:
    open a command shell
    open task manager and kill the explorer.exe process
    manually delete the file in question from the command prompt
    restart explorer from the command line.

    This often works, but may not in your case if another process keeps that
    file locked.

    You can also download process explorer and file explorer from
    sysinternals.com and see if you can find out who owns that tmp file -
    that would be your virus {given that the thing really IS a virus}.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Another Dave wrote:
    > I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
    >
    > At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not support
    > the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
    >
    > Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the Trojan
    > -- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
    >
    > Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
    > hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
    > this.
    >
    > Any advice gratefully received,

    You will need to download a specific removal tool as indicated in your other
    thread on this same topic. Avoid tools from companies you have never heard of.
    Mark Robinson, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Another Dave

    Impossible Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Another Dave wrote:
    >> I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
    >>
    >> At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not
    >> support
    >> the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
    >>
    >> Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the
    >> Trojan
    >> -- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
    >>
    >> Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
    >> hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or
    >> remove
    >> this.
    >>
    >> Any advice gratefully received,
    >>

    > You will need to download a specific removal tool as indicated in
    > your other thread on this same topic. Avoid tools from companies you
    > have never heard of.

    In general, I agree with you that it's best to rely on proven sources
    for tools like this. Unfortunately, I think you'll find that you
    misread the Google snippets you quoted in the other thread: neither
    Symantec nor BitDefender currently have a removal tool for Spy
    Trooper, and none are even promised at this point.
    Impossible, Nov 18, 2005
  9. Another Dave

    S Roby Guest

    Some viruses disable the AV program
    some malware is incorrectly detected by AV programs

    some options
    remove the HD, set it up as 2nd HD in another PC & then scan it
    try an online scanner (I recommend KAV)
    download another av proggy & install & scan the HD

    Make sure you note the name of the virus found as you may need to do some
    manual virus removal (ie registry entries etc). Most AV sites will tell you
    how to do this (The symantec site is very good)
    S Roby, Nov 18, 2005
  10. Did you by any chance re-arrange Norton's program shortcut entries in the Start Menu?

    Message: "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the repair feature..."
    Document ID:2004090712504306
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256f08006d038b?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/69w8l