Nortons AV Uninstaller Rnav2003: Safe ? Any Caveats, etc. In Using ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Dec 31, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Based on my past, and unfortunately present, experience with Norton AV, and
    the removing of it, I thought I'd better ask here first before trying.

    Has anyone ever used their uninstall utility Rnav2003 ?:

    " Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe
    removal
    utility when Add/Remove programs fails "

    Has it proven to be safe, and not louse other things up ?

    Any caveats, gotchas, etc. ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Dec 31, 2005

  2. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Robert11 spewed forth:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Based on my past, and unfortunately present, experience with Norton
    > AV, and the removing of it, I thought I'd better ask here first
    > before trying.
    > Has anyone ever used their uninstall utility Rnav2003 ?:
    >
    > " Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the
    > Rnav2003.exe removal
    > utility when Add/Remove programs fails "
    >
    > Has it proven to be safe, and not louse other things up ?
    >
    > Any caveats, gotchas, etc. ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    That's an older version of their removal tool. If you have version 2004 or
    newer you will want to use SymNRT.exe

    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2005092916503236&nsf=nip.nsf&view=244fc202cff0619a882570cb0002a0c6&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=ag>

    and even then it's not total. There are registry entries left behind. So run
    CCleaner.exe and/or other registry cleaners (be careful - be very, very
    careful!)

    But I've never had a system failure or such after using those removal tools.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 31, 2005