    some other such thing, anyhow needless to say i would greatly appreciate if
    someone could tell me what these symbols mean, it's the only thing i need to
    look further into, I probably won't need the help files for anything else.
    kiwinebula, Nov 8, 2006

  2. kiwinebula

    J Brockley Guest

    "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
    news:45518b91$...
    >I have just installed nortons antivirus 2005 and am very frustrated by the
    > icons in the status window, what the hell do the triangles with ! in them
    > mean, can't be good but they didn't think to explain such a basic thing in
    > an easy to find place, I guess I would find it in the help files somewhere
    > if i spent enough time looking but bloody hell why not have a help icon
    > like
    > they do in other programs do drag over the thing you need to know about or
    > some other such thing, anyhow needless to say i would greatly appreciate
    > if
    > someone could tell me what these symbols mean, it's the only thing i need
    > look further into, I probably won't need the help files for anything else.

    ! in a triangle is international sign for warning.
    J Brockley, Nov 8, 2006

  3. On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:48:08 +1300, kiwinebula wrote:

    > I have just installed nortons antivirus 2005 and am very frustrated by the
    > icons in the status window, what the hell do the triangles with ! in them
    > mean, can't be good but they didn't think to explain such a basic thing in
    > an easy to find place, I guess I would find it in the help files somewhere
    > if i spent enough time looking but bloody hell why not have a help icon like
    > they do in other programs do drag over the thing you need to know about or
    > some other such thing, anyhow needless to say i would greatly appreciate if
    > someone could tell me what these symbols mean, it's the only thing i need to
    > look further into, I probably won't need the help files for anything else.

    They mean "you have wasted your $$$"
    wogers nemesis, Nov 8, 2006
  4. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "J Brockley" <> wrote in message
    > "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
    > >I have just installed nortons antivirus 2005 and am very frustrated by

    the
    > > icons in the status window, what the hell do the triangles with ! in

    them
    > > mean, can't be good but they didn't think to explain such a basic thing

    in
    > > an easy to find place, I guess I would find it in the help files

    somewhere
    > > if i spent enough time looking but bloody hell why not have a help icon
    > > like
    > > they do in other programs do drag over the thing you need to know about

    or
    > > some other such thing, anyhow needless to say i would greatly appreciate
    > > if
    > > someone could tell me what these symbols mean, it's the only thing i

    need
    > > look further into, I probably won't need the help files for anything

    else.

    > ! in a triangle is international sign for warning.

    Thanks I figured that, so what does it mean when they show up beside nortons
    antivirus autoprotect, email protection etc... even though I have turned
    these things on, I wish it told you something a bit more helpful than that.
    kiwinebula, Nov 8, 2006
  5. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    > "J Brockley" <> wrote in message
    > > "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
    > > >I have just installed nortons antivirus 2005 and am very frustrated by

    > the
    > > > icons in the status window, what the hell do the triangles with ! in

    > them
    > > > mean, can't be good but they didn't think to explain such a basic

    thing
    > in
    > > > an easy to find place, I guess I would find it in the help files

    > somewhere
    > > > if i spent enough time looking but bloody hell why not have a help

    icon
    > > > like
    > > > they do in other programs do drag over the thing you need to know

    about
    > or
    > > > some other such thing, anyhow needless to say i would greatly

    appreciate
    > > > if
    > > > someone could tell me what these symbols mean, it's the only thing i

    > need
    > > > look further into, I probably won't need the help files for anything

    > else.
    > > >

    > > ! in a triangle is international sign for warning.
    > >

    > Thanks I figured that, so what does it mean when they show up beside

    nortons
    > antivirus autoprotect, email protection etc... even though I have turned
    > these things on, I wish it told you something a bit more helpful than

    that.

    Stupid program design, once i updated the virus definitions the warning
    symbols went away, I already knew the definitions were not up to date, it
    indicated this in the status window so why did it have to give warning signs
    against everything else when it was still only referring to the one program,
    dumb if you ask me.
    kiwinebula, Nov 8, 2006
  6. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    kiwinebula exclaimed:
    > Stupid program design,

    Norton's AV manages to be simultaneously dumbed-down, incomprehensible,
    offensively smug, bloated, and not particularly effective.

    Unfortunately many people buy into it because it's promoted heavily.

    I suggest Nod32: very lightweight, performs well, and the interface is
    pretty straightforward. Though a little bit techie.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 9, 2006
  7. kiwinebula

    impossible Guest

    > Stupid program design, once i updated the virus definitions the
    > warning
    > symbols went away, I already knew the definitions were not up to
    > date, it
    > indicated this in the status window so why did it have to give
    > warning signs
    > against everything else when it was still only referring to the one
    > program,
    > dumb if you ask me.

    Norton's Live Update handles not only updates for virus definitions
    but also updates for program executables and dlls. The warnings you
    received were an indication that each of these components was
    out-of-date on your machine. Not a "dumb" feature at all. By default,
    Live Update grabs everything you need, which is good, because many
    users -- like yourself -- have a hard time bringing themselves to read
    help files and wouldn't in any case know how to distingush one problem
    from another. But if, say, an attempt to install certain components
    had failed, one or another warning would have remained, in which case
    you would be alerted that your system was not yet fully protected and
    that you should run Live Update again. This entire warning system can
    be turned off, and if you've set Live Update to run automatically
    when you connect to the net this is a good choice. But if you're going
    to take responsibility for doing your updates manually -- and perhaps
    then irregularly -- I wouldn't go there. You don't sound like you're
    exactly a "pro" at any of this, so I wouldn't scoff at being reminded
    about hazards you may be blissfully unaware of.
    impossible, Nov 9, 2006
  8. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    > On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    > kiwinebula exclaimed:
    > > Stupid program design,

    > Norton's AV manages to be simultaneously dumbed-down, incomprehensible,
    > offensively smug, bloated, and not particularly effective.
    >
    > Unfortunately many people buy into it because it's promoted heavily.
    >
    > I suggest Nod32: very lightweight, performs well, and the interface is
    > pretty straightforward. Though a little bit techie.
    >
    > --
    > aaronl at consultant dot com
    > For every expert, there is an equal and
    > opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    Love the arthur c clarke quote.
    I only got systemworks for windoctor which I have found invaluable over the
    years, antivirus came with it so I thought i might as well use it even
    though I have only ever found 1 virus on my computer in the 12 years that i
    have used a pc and that was only recently and because I have become less and
    less careful with things. I think viruses get the blame far too often for
    problems with peoples computers, more often I think it is just case of
    windows screwing itself up.
    kiwinebula, Nov 9, 2006
  9. kiwinebula

    Richard Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:
    > I have just installed nortons antivirus 2005 and am very frustrated by the
    > icons in the status window, what the hell do the triangles with ! in them
    > mean, can't be good but they didn't think to explain such a basic thing in
    > an easy to find place, I guess I would find it in the help files somewhere
    > if i spent enough time looking but bloody hell why not have a help icon like
    > they do in other programs do drag over the thing you need to know about or
    > some other such thing, anyhow needless to say i would greatly appreciate if
    > someone could tell me what these symbols mean, it's the only thing i need to
    > look further into, I probably won't need the help files for anything else.

    Simply put, they mean that your boot time for the computer is now about
    8 times what it used to be, that your internet will randomly stop
    working at various times for no specified reason and that about 1/4 of
    your ram is now used for nothing other then holding applications that
    serve only to remind you what a good job they are doing.
    Richard, Nov 9, 2006
  10. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > kiwinebula wrote:
    > > I have just installed nortons antivirus 2005 and am very frustrated by

    the
    > > icons in the status window, what the hell do the triangles with ! in

    them
    > > mean, can't be good but they didn't think to explain such a basic thing

    in
    > > an easy to find place, I guess I would find it in the help files

    somewhere
    > > if i spent enough time looking but bloody hell why not have a help icon

    like
    > > they do in other programs do drag over the thing you need to know about

    or
    > > some other such thing, anyhow needless to say i would greatly appreciate

    if
    > > someone could tell me what these symbols mean, it's the only thing i

    need to
    > > look further into, I probably won't need the help files for anything

    else.

    > Simply put, they mean that your boot time for the computer is now about
    > 8 times what it used to be, that your internet will randomly stop
    > working at various times for no specified reason and that about 1/4 of
    > your ram is now used for nothing other then holding applications that
    > serve only to remind you what a good job they are doing.

    Well put.
    kiwinebula, Nov 9, 2006
  11. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > kiwinebula wrote:
    > > I have just installed nortons antivirus 2005 and am very frustrated by

    the
    > > icons in the status window, what the hell do the triangles with ! in

    them
    > > mean, can't be good but they didn't think to explain such a basic thing

    in
    > > an easy to find place, I guess I would find it in the help files

    somewhere
    > > if i spent enough time looking but bloody hell why not have a help icon

    like
    > > they do in other programs do drag over the thing you need to know about

    or
    > > some other such thing, anyhow needless to say i would greatly appreciate

    if
    > > someone could tell me what these symbols mean, it's the only thing i

    need to
    > > look further into, I probably won't need the help files for anything

    else.

    > Simply put, they mean that your boot time for the computer is now about
    > 8 times what it used to be, that your internet will randomly stop
    > working at various times for no specified reason and that about 1/4 of
    > your ram is now used for nothing other then holding applications that
    > serve only to remind you what a good job they are doing.

    How about avg antivirus free, would that be any better?
    kiwinebula, Nov 9, 2006
  12. kiwinebula

    Jerry Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >> Simply put, they mean that your boot time for the computer is now about
    >> 8 times what it used to be, that your internet will randomly stop
    >> working at various times for no specified reason and that about 1/4 of
    >> your ram is now used for nothing other then holding applications that
    >> serve only to remind you what a good job they are doing.

    > How about avg antivirus free, would that be any better?

    Yes, AVG is much less intrusive. The first defense against viruses is
    common sense anyway. It's like driving a car with seatbelts, side
    intrusion bars, crumple zones and airbags. If you hit a truck head on
    going 200kph you are definitely going to do yourself some great harm.
    Jerry, Nov 9, 2006
  13. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > kiwinebula wrote:
    > > "Richard" <> wrote in message

    > >> Simply put, they mean that your boot time for the computer is now about
    > >> 8 times what it used to be, that your internet will randomly stop
    > >> working at various times for no specified reason and that about 1/4 of
    > >> your ram is now used for nothing other then holding applications that
    > >> serve only to remind you what a good job they are doing.

    > > How about avg antivirus free, would that be any better?

    > Yes, AVG is much less intrusive. The first defense against viruses is
    > common sense anyway. It's like driving a car with seatbelts, side
    > intrusion bars, crumple zones and airbags. If you hit a truck head on
    > going 200kph you are definitely going to do yourself some great harm.

    Totally agree and that is why I have only had 1 virus in 12 years of pc use
    and why I would nearly skip using an antivirus program at all unless I
    thought there was a problem.
    kiwinebula, Nov 9, 2006
  14. kiwinebula

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > kiwinebula wrote:
    > > I have just installed nortons antivirus 2005 and am very frustrated by

    the
    > > icons in the status window, what the hell do the triangles with ! in

    them
    > > mean, can't be good but they didn't think to explain such a basic thing

    in
    > > an easy to find place, I guess I would find it in the help files

    somewhere
    > > if i spent enough time looking but bloody hell why not have a help icon

    like
    > > they do in other programs do drag over the thing you need to know about

    or
    > > some other such thing, anyhow needless to say i would greatly appreciate

    if
    > > someone could tell me what these symbols mean, it's the only thing i

    need to
    > > look further into, I probably won't need the help files for anything

    else.

    > Simply put, they mean that your boot time for the computer is now about
    > 8 times what it used to be, that your internet will randomly stop
    > working at various times for no specified reason and that about 1/4 of
    > your ram is now used for nothing other then holding applications that
    > serve only to remind you what a good job they are doing.

    http://www.thejournal.com/articles/a5421Amount.htm memory usage of different
    antivirus programs
    kiwinebula, Nov 9, 2006
  15. kiwinebula

    impossible Guest

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Simply put, they mean that your boot time for the computer is now
    >> about
    >> 8 times what it used to be, that your internet will randomly stop
    >> working at various times for no specified reason and that about 1/4
    >> of
    >> your ram is now used for nothing other then holding applications
    >> that
    >> serve only to remind you what a good job they are doing.

    > Well put.

    Well, no, actually. Norton AV by itself adds almost nothing to boot
    times. You can, of course, set it to scan your drives every time you
    boot, which is processor-intensive, so your boot time will *appear* to
    be longer. But that's just plain silly, because Auto-Protect
    constantly monitors executables in the background. Scan your drives
    once when you first install -- that's all you ever really need to do.

    Memory use? Look at the chart you posted elsewhere.

    http://www.thejournal.com/articles/a5421Amount.htm

    Unless you're starving your machine for memory anyway, the Norton
    footprint is relatively small compared to others.

    And the only problems with the internet are problems you would have
    with any AV program that checks for new virus definitions and program
    updates -- if you're on dialup, or pseudo broadband, everything's a
    headache that way.
    impossible, Nov 10, 2006
  16. kiwinebula

    impossible Guest

    > "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >> kiwinebula wrote:
    >> > "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >> > How about avg antivirus free, would that be any better?

    >> Yes, AVG is much less intrusive. The first defense against viruses
    >> is
    >> common sense anyway. It's like driving a car with seatbelts, side
    >> intrusion bars, crumple zones and airbags. If you hit a truck head
    >> on
    >> going 200kph you are definitely going to do yourself some great
    >> harm.

    > Totally agree and that is why I have only had 1 virus in 12 years of
    > pc use
    > and why I would nearly skip using an antivirus program at all unless
    > thought there was a problem.

    There is a problem. So don't even think about running without a good,
    up-todate AV.
    impossible, Nov 10, 2006
  17. kiwinebula

    Jerry Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
    >> "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yes, AVG is much less intrusive. The first defense against viruses
    >>> is
    >>> common sense anyway. It's like driving a car with seatbelts, side
    >>> intrusion bars, crumple zones and airbags. If you hit a truck head
    >>> on
    >>> going 200kph you are definitely going to do yourself some great
    >>> harm.

    >> Totally agree and that is why I have only had 1 virus in 12 years of
    >> pc use
    >> and why I would nearly skip using an antivirus program at all unless
    >> thought there was a problem.
    >>

    > There is a problem. So don't even think about running without a good,
    > up-todate AV.

    I have AVG running now, but like kiwinebula I haven't seen anything come
    in because I'm careful. What is the problem?
    Jerry, Nov 10, 2006
  18. kiwinebula

    impossible Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
    >>> "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >>> Totally agree and that is why I have only had 1 virus in 12 years
    >>> of pc use
    >>> and why I would nearly skip using an antivirus program at all
    >>> unless I
    >>> thought there was a problem.
    >>>

    >> There is a problem. So don't even think about running without a
    >> good, up-todate AV.

    > I have AVG running now, but like kiwinebula I haven't seen anything
    > come in because I'm careful. What is the problem?

    Being careful reduces your exposure to viruses -- it doesn't eliminate
    the danger. Consider yourself lucky so far, not immune.
    impossible, Nov 10, 2006
  19. kiwinebula

    Jerry Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>> "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> There is a problem. So don't even think about running without a
    >>> good, up-todate AV.

    >> I have AVG running now, but like kiwinebula I haven't seen anything
    >> come in because I'm careful. What is the problem?

    > Being careful reduces your exposure to viruses -- it doesn't eliminate
    > the danger. Consider yourself lucky so far, not immune.

    Luck has nothing to do with it, being careful does. I see a lot of
    customers computers with every anti virus program they can think of,
    maybe even choked with Norton Internet Security, and they have been
    clicking their way through the web and infected their machine with all
    kinds of crap, to the point the fix is a format.

    An anti-virus program is only about 5% of the secret to avoiding
    infection. Care and common sense is the big 95%
    Jerry, Nov 10, 2006
  20. kiwinebula

    impossible Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Jerry" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have AVG running now, but like kiwinebula I haven't seen
    >>> anything come in because I'm careful. What is the problem?

    >> Being careful reduces your exposure to viruses -- it doesn't
    >> eliminate the danger. Consider yourself lucky so far, not immune.

    > Luck has nothing to do with it, being careful does. I see a lot of
    > customers computers with every anti virus program they can think of,
    > maybe even choked with Norton Internet Security, and they have been
    > clicking their way through the web and infected their machine with
    > all kinds of crap, to the point the fix is a format.
    >
    > An anti-virus program is only about 5% of the secret to avoiding
    > infection. Care and common sense is the big 95%

    I'm not sure what your objection is to what I'm saying. Surely no
    one -- no matter how careful they think they are -- should run
    without a good, up-to-date AV program. Should they?
    impossible, Nov 10, 2006