    non-starter.

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Mar 13, 2007

  2. Miguel

    Mathew Good Guest

    On 13 Mar 2007 16:43:54 -0700, "Miguel" <> wrote:

    >Hi all...is it possible to use 'Ghost For Linux' to restore a Norton
    >Ghost image.
    >
    >I've come across a DVD labelled "Dec 03 - Ghost of Dell" with a single
    >file called WinXP.000 and I'm curious as to what it contains.
    >
    >I'm assuming it's a Norton Ghost image cos I was win32 in those days.
    >(Maybe it's not Norton. Doesn't XP have a built in disk-imager? I
    >guess I should have labelled it more clearly)
    >
    >I don't want to outlay $80 for a copy of NortonGhost just to satisfy
    >my curiousity.
    >
    >And I don't want to download and burn an iso if someone says it's a
    >non-starter.
    >
    >Regards
    >Miguel

    There are Free version of Ghost, but you will have to use a Real OS to Run it, not this Lunic
    Crap..

    Trial version

    http://norton-ghost.en.softonic.com/ie/46034
    Mathew Good, Mar 14, 2007

  3. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    On Mar 14, 1:46 pm, Mathew Good < wrote:

    > There are Free version of Ghost, but you will have to use a Real OS to Run it, not this Lunic
    > Crap..
    >
    > Trial version
    >
    > http://norton-ghost.en.softonic.com/ie/46034

    Thanks Mathew for the advice and the link. But it seems I was wrong in
    my Norton Ghost assumption.

    The only file extensions Ghost recognises are *.gho, *.pqi and *.v2i

    The backup file I have is WinXP.000 (3.5GB in size)

    It's a mystery to me. Apart from Ghost I remember once using Nero
    BackItUp (*.nbi) many moons ago but that's of no help.

    Any advice anyone else (apart from telling me to keep a better record
    of my backup procedures :)

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Mar 14, 2007
  4. Miguel

    El Chippy Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:23:46 -0700, Miguel wrote:

    > On Mar 14, 1:46 pm, Mathew Good < wrote:
    >
    >> There are Free version of Ghost, but you will have to use a Real OS to Run it, not this Lunic
    >> Crap..
    >>
    >> Trial version
    >>
    >> http://norton-ghost.en.softonic.com/ie/46034

    > Thanks Mathew for the advice and the link. But it seems I was wrong in
    > my Norton Ghost assumption.
    >
    > The only file extensions Ghost recognises are *.gho, *.pqi and *.v2i
    >
    > The backup file I have is WinXP.000 (3.5GB in size)
    >
    > It's a mystery to me. Apart from Ghost I remember once using Nero
    > BackItUp (*.nbi) many moons ago but that's of no help.
    >
    > Any advice anyone else (apart from telling me to keep a better record
    > of my backup procedures :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=000&Search=Search

    Suggests a few things.
    ARJ multivolume archive &
    ISO buster CD/DVD Image File seem the most likely of the suggestions.

    HTH
    El Chippy, Mar 14, 2007
  5. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    If anyone's interested....

    Good old Linux to the rescue

    "Partimage" managed to recognise and open the archive.

    Unfortunately it contained nothing more than four year old emails and
    a few invoices and letters. Total anticlimax....pretty much sums up my
    life :)

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Mar 14, 2007
  6. Miguel

    GraB Guest

    Check out http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=000
    GraB, Mar 14, 2007
  7. Miguel

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-03-14, Miguel <> wrote:
    > On Mar 14, 1:46 pm, Mathew Good < wrote:
    >
    >> There are Free version of Ghost, but you will have to use a Real OS to Run it, not this Lunic
    >> Crap..
    >>
    >> Trial version
    >>
    >> http://norton-ghost.en.softonic.com/ie/46034

    > Thanks Mathew for the advice and the link. But it seems I was wrong in
    > my Norton Ghost assumption.
    >
    > The only file extensions Ghost recognises are *.gho, *.pqi and *.v2i
    >
    > The backup file I have is WinXP.000 (3.5GB in size)
    >
    > It's a mystery to me. Apart from Ghost I remember once using Nero
    > BackItUp (*.nbi) many moons ago but that's of no help.
    >
    > Any advice anyone else (apart from telling me to keep a better record
    > of my backup procedures :)

    what does file make of it?

    does

    dd count=1 if=/media/cdrom/WinXP.000 | strings

    give any clues?

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Mar 14, 2007
  8. Miguel

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 14, 4:23 pm, "Miguel" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 14, 1:46 pm, Mathew Good < wrote:
    >
    > > There are Free version of Ghost, but you will have to use a Real OS to Run it, not this Lunic
    > > Crap..

    > > Trial version

    > >http://norton-ghost.en.softonic.com/ie/46034

    > Thanks Mathew for the advice and the link. But it seems I was wrong in
    > my Norton Ghost assumption.
    >
    > The only file extensions Ghost recognises are *.gho, *.pqi and *.v2i
    >
    > The backup file I have is WinXP.000 (3.5GB in size)
    >
    > It's a mystery to me. Apart from Ghost I remember once using Nero
    > BackItUp (*.nbi) many moons ago but that's of no help.
    >
    > Any advice anyone else (apart from telling me to keep a better record
    > of my backup procedures :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Try partimage available on the Linux System Rescue CD. Its suffixes
    are 000, 001, 002 etc (to facilitate breaking up a file across CD's
    etc. The receiving partition must be the same size as the original
    partition (but can be elsewhere) and if a new HD is at as least as
    large as the old one the MBR and PT can be downloaded first. You can
    do a dummy restore without writing anything. If the format is not
    compatible, partimage would deliver an error message at a very early
    stage.

    Partimage handles FAT and ext2,3 partitions as well as NTFS partitions
    (but not 100% guaranteed for the latter as the complete spec is not
    publicly known and the only reliable implementation is probably MS's
    actual code blob in the relevant DLL's). It relies on FAT's inode
    tables etc to avoid saving unused clusters. Having said that it would
    seem the only safe way for any 'ghost' program (that is not Windows
    dependent) to save a NTFS partition is to save everything, including
    the unused clusters.
    peterwn, Mar 15, 2007
  9. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    On Mar 15, 4:43 pm, "peterwn" <> wrote:

    > Try partimage available on the Linux System Rescue CD.

    Hello peterwn....thanks for your advice.

    I posted yesterday that i managed to sort it out by using Partimage
    but my post musn't be visible in some newsreaders cos I'm still
    getting replies.

    Thanks anyway for taking the time.

    Regards
    Miguel