norton virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anOLDun, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Lo All

    O/s WinME

    Previously when i went on-line " norton's liveupdate" up dated
    automatically.

    Now i get a message saying saying my virus updates may not be up to date, Do
    i want to update?

    I click the yes option and get the following message, which i find a tad
    confusing. It seems to say Liveupdate cannot conect to my ISP. Then it says
    Update is complete.

    Has it updated?............And i AM on-line...... this is the message:-

    "Initializing...
    Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...
    Unable to connect to host
    LU1841: LiveUpdate could not connect to your Internet Service Provider.
    Verify your dial-up information is correct.
    LiveUpdate session is complete"

    cheers D

    anOLDun, Nov 22, 2004

  2. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    I forgot to add...... the box for " auto check for liveupdates" is checked

    anOLDun, Nov 22, 2004

  3. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Please ignore this post i have just found an automated "help-file"

    cheers

    anOLDun, Nov 22, 2004
  4. anOLDun

    Ionizer Guest

    "anOLDun" <> wrote in message
    > Please ignore this post i have just found an automated "help-file"
    >
    > cheers

    Whether you've now got Live Update working properly or not, consider the
    value of Norton's "Intelligent Updater." While Live Update tends to
    update your definitions once a week or so, the Intelligent Updater page
    allows you to update on a *daily* basis.

    Bookmark this page:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html
    Click on the exe file (today's is the 20041122-0066 file, dated November
    22) and save it to your desktop. Double-click that exe and give it about
    15 seconds or so to run its course.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Nov 22, 2004
  5. anOLDun wrote:

    > Has it updated?............And i AM on-line...... this is the message:-
    >
    > "Initializing...
    > Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...
    > Unable to connect to host
    > LU1841: LiveUpdate could not connect to your Internet Service Provider.
    > Verify your dial-up information is correct.
    > LiveUpdate session is complete"

    Maybe some worm (don't believe nortonav is perfect) has modified your hosts
    file and added liveupdate.symantec.com ... to the list of entries with
    "127.0.0.1" (localhost). Take a look at
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or wherever yours is located.
    Watch the last update date in norton control panel.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Nov 22, 2004
  6. anOLDun

    Ron Martell Guest

    "anOLDun" <> wrote:

    >Lo All
    >
    >O/s WinME
    >

    >Previously when i went on-line " norton's liveupdate" up dated
    >automatically.
    >
    >Now i get a message saying saying my virus updates may not be up to date, Do
    >i want to update?
    >
    >I click the yes option and get the following message, which i find a tad
    >confusing. It seems to say Liveupdate cannot conect to my ISP. Then it says
    >Update is complete.
    >
    >Has it updated?............And i AM on-line...... this is the message:-
    >
    >"Initializing...
    >Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...
    >Unable to connect to host
    >LU1841: LiveUpdate could not connect to your Internet Service Provider.
    >Verify your dial-up information is correct.
    >LiveUpdate session is complete"

    What version of Norton? Norton 2004 is so problematic with Windows
    Me that it is consider incompatible.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 23, 2004
  7. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi

    Turns out they had stopped supporting my vesion. = nortons 2003

    However, taken on board the advice in a different post from me i have
    removed norton from my system and now using AVG - so fingers crossed all
    looks fine .

    cheerd

    anOLDun, Nov 25, 2004